Soreness ?

Options
MrsKosal
MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
I've never done deadlifts until starting NROLFW. Is it normal for my lower back and love handles area to be sore? I am hoping this exercise is helping me to get rid of my dreaded love handles, but wanted to make sure it wasn't from improper form. I've been sore all over from starting Week 3, but in the areas that make sense. My shoulders are killing me, butt, thighs, etc. Just wanted to make sure back was also normal. Thanks!

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Hello! For Deadlifts, this is perfectly normal, specially if you have never done them before. The deadlift engages your core and back along with many other muscles...just like anything, you body aint used to it :p
  • MrsKosal
    Options
    Hello! For Deadlifts, this is perfectly normal, specially if you have never done them before. The deadlift engages your core and back along with many other muscles...just like anything, you body aint used to it :p

Thanks! I thought I remembered reading that it pretty well engaged everything, but wanted to be sure. I am happy, because nothing makes my back fat/love handle area sore. And that is my #1 problem area.
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i've noticed my love handle area is a bit more pronounced. i've convinced myself that the deadlifts and jackknifes and such are developing muscles under there and poking the remaining fat out. that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

the deadlifts really got my shoulders this last time.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I get sore in my back if I don't keep a good curve at the base of my spine. Make sure your form is correct and videotape yourself if you need to. Your booty should pop when you're picking up the weight- keep your hips level but let that lower back round outward and pop the booty. It helps lock your spine in place. I assume you're also breathing properly and creating a tight abdominal area to support the lower back.

Good deadlift video on form - Mark Rippetoe-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8jgCFXYTU
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I get sore in my back if I don't keep a good curve at the base of my spine. Make sure your form is correct and videotape yourself if you need to. Your booty should pop when you're picking up the weight- keep your hips level but let that lower back round outward and pop the booty. It helps lock your spine in place. I assume you're also breathing properly and creating a tight abdominal area to support the lower back.

+1 on form. When I do them properly, the only thing that gets sore are my hamstrings and holy hamstring they get sore!!
  • MrsKosal
    Options

Thanks for the tip! I need to watch myself better in the mirrors when I do them. I've been popping the booty though, which my husband showed me last week when I did them.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Also consider how much weight you are doing on them. If your back is continuously sore, then your weight level might be too high as well.

I am currently doing the deadlifts on a box, and I find I had to drop the weight by a ton in order to lift them..