What % of your calories go to treats?

I try to get most of my calories from healthy, whole, nutrient-dense foods - but who doesn't love treats? I am particularly susceptible to beer and ice cream. I remember reading once in Eating Well Magazine or something about the % of your daily calories that should go towards treats....what would you say you budget for treats each day? My worry with eating more is that I don't want to use that as an excuse to increase my intake of empty (but oh-so-delicious) calories.

Whaddya think? 10%ish?

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    I hit the 5% ish mark, unless I drink a bottle of wine, then its 25% :)
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Probably no more than 1 treat a day, normally.

Like, yesterday I had 1 Lindt truffle and some sugar free pudding. Not too shabby, I think, and it kept me from going insane. Sometime you just need it!!! Sometimes I find myself going from fridge to freezer to cabinet just looking for SOMETHING CHOCOLATE!!!! And when it's not there I repeat the process til I settle on something else ...if I dont have that little bite or treat I will probably waste away in my kitchen running in circles.

edit to add- I don't know exactly what % that would equal out to- depends on what it is.. but I would say at least ONE yummy thing, be that sweet or salty or fatty, whatever... seems reasonable.
  • slammy1079
    slammy1079 Posts: 97
    @Mike - man after my own heart. :)

Always seems that treats come in multiples for me. Some days I have none - others I have two or three. I guess it all evens out. I thought maybe I'd try experimenting with a "treat budget" and add it as one of my MFP meals. That way I can maybe justify two treats some days if I have none on others. :)

A pint of my favorite beer is about 200 calories, so that's probably the range I'm looking at.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    I stopped seeing food as 'treats' so I eat very little sugary things or what I used to think of as treats or rewards. I might have a piece of dark chocolate every other day or so because I really love dark chocolate. I had my favorite summer time dessert last weekend because it sounded delicious (Lemon Berry Trifle). If I go out with friends and feel like having a beer or a glass of wine, I do. It's probably very little of my % of weekly calories.

I aim for 2500 cal/day. The piece of dark chocolate is 65 calories. The Lemon Berry Trifle dessert was 280 calories. 2-3 glasses of wine are 300-500 calories. It varies, but I don't even think about it!
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    I have the biggest sweet tooth so I will usually make healthy versions of treats... like my oatmeal in the am and my bedtime snack.... other than that I will have a cheat meal or a couple;) on the weekends :)
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    I stopped seeing food as 'treats' so I eat very little sugary things or what I used to think of as treats or rewards. I might have a piece of dark chocolate every other day or so because I really love dark chocolate. I had my favorite summer time dessert last weekend because it sounded delicious (Lemon Berry Trifle). If I go out with friends and feel like having a beer or a glass of wine, I do. It's probably very little of my % of weekly calories.

I aim for 2500 cal/day. The piece of dark chocolate is 65 calories. The Lemon Berry Trifle dessert was 280 calories. 2-3 glasses of wine are 300-500 calories. It varies, but I don't even think about it!
    I am handling it like you. Love dark chocolate too (Green & Black's is awesome *hint*)
    I am having deserts very rarely, but I don't have a sweet tooth to begin with
    Only difference I don't drink any alcohol
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    Honestly, I just eat the way I want to be able to eat when I'm at goal (except for protein....I hope I can find a way to avoid supplements there after a while!). I don't consider anything off limits and I just try to eat good, normal food most of the time. But if I want ice cream or chips, I'll eat them. I just do so with a proper serving size. Knowing that it's not off limits actually stops me from really caring if I have it or not. It's the feeling of it being off limits that starts the 'desire' to have it. And of course, if I have a particularly off day regarding macros or junk calories (usually due to circumstance or TOM more than wanting the junk), then I just try to be a little more conscious of food choices the next day.

My goal is to learn to eat in a sustainable way that works with LIFE. Life has lots of junk in it.

One other thing I'll say though, is that in my mind, eating out is like a treat/junk day. Any kind of restaurant meal (fast food to fancy) is treated like a junk meal because it's out of my control as to how it's prepared. For example, their chicken breast may have 50% more sodium in it than what I buy at the store before they even start cooking it. I only eat out probably 1 -2 times per month on average.
  • carriea67
    carriea67 Posts: 181 Member
    Honestly, I just eat the way I want to be able to eat when I'm at goal (except for protein....I hope I can find a way to avoid supplements there after a while!). I don't consider anything off limits and I just try to eat good, normal food most of the time. But if I want ice cream or chips, I'll eat them. I just do so with a proper serving size. Knowing that it's not off limits actually stops me from really caring if I have it or not. It's the feeling of it being off limits that starts the 'desire' to have it. And of course, if I have a particularly off day regarding macros or junk calories (usually due to circumstance or TOM more than wanting the junk), then I just try to be a little more conscious of food choices the next day.

My goal is to learn to eat in a sustainable way that works with LIFE. Life has lots of junk in it.

One other thing I'll say though, is that in my mind, eating out is like a treat/junk day. Any kind of restaurant meal (fast food to fancy) is treated like a junk meal because it's out of my control as to how it's prepared. For example, their chicken breast may have 50% more sodium in it than what I buy at the store before they even start cooking it. I only eat out probably 1 -2 times per month on average.

I like this! I want to enjoy food as it is part of my social quilt....we go out to dinner with friends; grab a couple of drinks; etc....I am okay with having a couple of "extra pounds" because I want to participate in my life.

Now that being said, I try to eat healthy nutrition dense food a majority of the time but if I want something then I don't deny myself.
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    I don't deny myself. Which is making my family happy. I have a treat every so often. Like last nights chocolate dip cone. It was over 90 yesterday.

This is a birthday month with 6 out of the 8 of us celebrating since May 30th. So sweets are around, but they are not tempting, because if I want it I will have it.

Like yska said, this is for a lifetime.