Vegetarian Food for Hiking

Options
So I could use some help; as a vegetarian there are very few things that I feel I'm able to take hiking/backpacking aside from granola bars and rice/noodles. Anyone have some good recipies that will allow me to get some good fruits and veggies while on the trail without weighing me down too much?

Replies

• jagwab
    jagwab Posts: 93
    Options
    Are you vegan or just a regular vegetarian?
    I have a vegan friend that hikes and can ask her
  • rousek44244
    Options
    As of right now I'm just a vegetarian (I still eat eggs and drink dairy but no meat or seafood), if you could ask your vegan friend that would be awesome!
  • AngelDog1
    AngelDog1 Posts: 89
    Options
    I'm curious too. I'm not vegetarian (been trying to follow a pescatarian diet, but I seem to fail) but I'd like to continue to strive towards that goal. We have a dehydrator that we've used before to make applesauce roll-ups. Maybe there are other things we can think of for the dehydrator that would help.
  • jagwab
    Options
    I have sent a message out to all my veggie friends. Will let you know when I hear back
  • jagwab
    Options
    First response back:

Peanut butter, nuts, Primal Jerkey (seiten), freeze-dried fruit. Also, Outdoor Herbivore makes vegetarian and vegan freeze dried meals.
  • jagwab
    Options
    next response:

Instant refried beans and powdered hummus (sold in bulk at the food co-op), cheese, chili made with TVP, hard-boiled eggs, protein powder in oatmeal. Lots of ideas in: Lipsmackin Vegetartian Backpackin' by Christine Conners.
  • rousek44244
    Options
    Wow these are awesome! Thanks so much I'll definitely be trying these :)
  • jlc0128
    Options
    You want to shoot for the highest calorie to lowest weight ration. Quinoa is amazing...super high protein. Nuts and dried fruits are my on the trail staples and I'll throw in some dehydrated veggies at dinner. If it's really cold, and you eat dairy, take some cheese! 100cal per square inch is the kind of calories you need on a cold, challenging hike. If you can get a food dehydrator, it is the most amazing hiking food tool ever.

You can dehydrate soups, sauces, fruits, veggies, and almost anything else your little hiker heart desires.

Hope this helps. Have fun!
  • Deborahpennington
    Options
    While not a vego, I have been in the past, and try to eat vego a few times a week. I love hiking and enjoyed making Dahl, based on red lentils, dried veg and rice. Next time I'll use dehydrated rice, as the rice was quite heavy! All the spices were pre-mixed with the lentils in a zip lock bag, so cooking was easy. The only down side was it takes 20-30 mins cooking time, so a little fuel heavy. .. But it was very yum and filling.... Also couscous is light and quick to prepare, a good base for many flavour combinations.
  • Deborahpennington
    Options
    Also check out Asian grocery stores, they are full of dried veges, tofu and interesting additions to spice up otherwise dull basic foods... Eg dried shiitake mushrooms, nori based rice seasonings... Enjoy
  • theonewiththedream
    theonewiththedream Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I too, am a vegetarian and also have trouble finding suitable trail food. I don't know what to say as far as vegetables, but I brought dry fruit (apricots are especially good) and it was delicious and high enough calorie to make up for the weight but still be healthy. If you want to try blueberries or mango, both favorites of mine, you can find them at a local Heath foods store or possibly whole foods. The apricots can be found at most generic supermarket chains. This worked fine for me ( obviously I brought other food too) on my last long hike. The fruit kept for the whole ten days and probably would have kept longer. Best of luck to you!