Sleep & Energy

Options
Yukonchickie
Yukonchickie Posts: 9 Member
I am 4 months post op after having the sleeve.
I seem to be suffering still with energy dips that are pretty low and those are the days it takes all I have in me just to get out of bed. I have lost over 40lb since the surgery and am still dropping but without energy, seem to be struggling a bit.
Anyone with advice? Ideas? Tips? Sympathy? Anything!!!

Thanks all.

Replies

• puttingmyselfoutthere
    puttingmyselfoutthere Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am only 6 weeks out but I also have some serious dips in energy. I am sending you my sympathy ;) I try to eat when I feel like I am slowing down! Do you have sleep apnea?
  • blueyednurse06
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein in? If I don't get enought protein, my energy levels drop. However, it could just be your body telling you to rest! You just had surgery a short time ago, give your body the rest it needs to make a complete recovery! :)
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I use the liquid B Complex vitamins. Seems to help me with energy and cravings. You put the liquid under your tongue for about 60 seconds and then swallow. The run about $5.00/bottle at Walmart.
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have been sleeping better than before my surgery, sometimes I sleep eight hours straight without waking at night so I have had lots of energy during the day in fact more than I can ever remember having in the past. If you haven't already had your blood levels checked you may want to ask your doctor to get them for you, you could be having vitamin deficiency. ( My doctor recommends blood levels at 3, 6, 12, 18 months etc.)
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    you have my sympathy for sure, but I too would wondering if you're keeping your protein and vitamins up? If you are doing everything right then I would talk to my doctor as it could be a symptom of something else like an infection, hormone imbalance or gall bladder problems.
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 6 moths out and also having a difficult time. I was concerned it was an iron deficiency, and have upped my iron, hasn't really helped. I'm getting my vitamins and protein, but can sleep around the clock. If I have a busy day, I can be down for two or three! I have a followup with my clinic next week, and it will be high on my list of thing to discuss. It may be that i'm just not taking in enough calories/day (I aim for 1200). Will probably see the nutritionist, unless the bloodwork gives us a hint.
  • ibtough
    ibtough Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Protein, Protein, Protein and Vitamins!!! Please listen to this "veteran RNY". I got too comfortable years after my surgery and am trying to correct my mistakes now regarding this area specifically.

If you are doing what your doctor is telling you, then you may want to consult them.

If you are not doing what you should be doing in any way, DO IT! It's very easy to skip a little here and there as you start to recover and get back to "normal." It really has an effect on our bodies as well long term.
  • BNA_Mommy
    BNA_Mommy Posts: 36
    Options
    I agree....increase your protein and make sure you're taking your vitamins! I was slacking in both areas, and when I started to take my vitamins again, and started eating more proteins, my energy started coming back. I also work out in the morning before work, and while it's a pain in the butt to get up before 5am to do it, I have so much more energy during the day.
  • tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Since surgery almost four months ago, I have had the same problem, but the surgeon's nurse told me not to worry that this is normal. The further out I am from surgery the better it gets. It is just the body's way of recovering from the surgery. I don't feel this way all the time and it seems to hit me now usually for about hour to two hours in the afternoon. If I get plenty of rest during the night, I seem to do better throughout the day.
    Make sure your getting at least 8 hours of sleep, your body is still healing and believe me it will let you know if your not doing something right.