Eggs everyday? Protein, Cholesterol and Vegetarian

Options
Hey All,

When I was growing up my mom would insist that we could only eat eggs once a week due to cholesterol. Fast forward a couple of decades and I'm in Eat More 2 Weigh Less and i just can't get in enough protein. I'm a vegetarian and I'm struggling to up my protein. Eggs seem to be useful but I wonder if I should have any concerns about cholesterol. If I have 2 eggs, MFP tells me I'm above my cholesterol limit. Any one know more about whether eggs everyday is a good plan or not? Maybe one egg a day is the way to go?

Other vegetarians who have mastered protein intake, can I look at your diaries? I'm currently consuming a whey protein supplement (but I think next time I'll pick one with more punch, this one only has 16g), I feel like I eat lots of peanut butter, some days I'm good about my beans/legumes, but getting 149 grams of protein feels impossible (that is 30% fyi).

Thanks!

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Eating cholesterol does not give you high cholesterol. That's a myth from the 80's and early 90's. Same train of thought people used with 'eating fat makes you fat'. Nation went fat free and we lost nothing.

If you have certain genetic markers you *can* be more predisposed to high cholesterol through diet- not saying it doesn't happen. But the cholesterol scare is over.

Eat your eggs and enjoy your protein. :D

Also- check out the cottage cheese- mine has 12g+ of protein per half cup.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Things have totally changed. 2 eggs per day is a very good way to get in protein and healthy cholesterol according to nutritionists these days.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I try to eat 5 egg whites everyday, this makes a huge omelette to eat in the morning(suppose to eat 8 per my plan but that would be way too big).. its a great source of protein and almost no cholesterol or none if you buy certain kinds.. They are kinda bland but if you add some cheese and Tabasco sauce to it.. your good to go
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-3 eggs a day most days, and I just had my cholesterol checked at the Dr. last week - it was excellent. I wouldn't stress too much about it unless you already have cholesterol problems.
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hah, wow. Food for thought and thought for food! The more I learn about nutrition the more I realize I know nothing about it, lol.

Ok eggies, get in my tummy!
  • each_day_stronger
    Options
    Also cottage cheese....I'm sorry but it sounds gross, I don't even know how to eat it. Do you guys just eat it plain or put it on stuff. I feel ridiculous I actually I have no idea how to eat it. I'm willing to try but would love a recommendation on how to prepare it.
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Also cottage cheese....I'm sorry but it sounds gross, I don't even know how to eat it. Do you guys just eat it plain or put it on stuff. I feel ridiculous I actually I have no idea how to eat it. I'm willing to try but would love a recommendation on how to prepare it.

lol Give it a whirl it's tasty- BUT you have to get a good brand. There are nasty cottage cheeses out there! Dean's small curd is good, Kroger's brand is ok- avoid Daisy and Walmart and for the love of pete- do not eat low fat or fat free cottage cheese if you don't already love cottage cheese. Not the way I'd introduce it.

You can eat it cold with peaches on top, or pineapple. You can eat it hot in a blintz. Hubbs puts it over his veggie burgers, and nukes them in the microwave- warm and cheesy burgers. Cottage cheese is great in italian dishes like lasagna as a ricotta replacement. It's just cheese that's been cut up real small- so you can melt it easily if you want. :)
  • each_day_stronger
    Options
    ohhhhhh I love lasagne :) ok... melty cheesey goodness, I can definitely get behind that. Thanks so much for all the tips everyone :)
  • gemiwing
    Options
    ohhhhhh I love lasagne :) ok... melty cheesey goodness, I can definitely get behind that. Thanks so much for all the tips everyone :)

*dons black cape*
    Yes... come over to the dark side.. the cottage-y cheese-y dark side....
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese with nuts, dried fruit, and pumpkin pie spice. My favorite dried fruit is chopped dates. It's sooo yummy!!!
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I might have to come over to the dark side and try this cottage cheese thing you talk about, lol! :glasses: I have never even tried it because I just don't like the looks of it. But I was that way with avocado and once I finally tried it I LOVE it!
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese with fresh pineapple or cantaloupe. I also eat it with fresh tomatoes. I cant eat it by itself, but if it is paired with something I love it. I also only like the Daisy brand. It is really good.