You ever actually calculate the calorie content of....

Options
fiveohmike
fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
The meals you used to eat when you were getting fatter?

I just went through all the fastfood places and calc'd all the food I would get as a "damn i have no time I must eat meal"

It was all north of 2k calories and some north of 3k calories....in one meal!

For the nights I would go to the bar I would eat ~2200 calories during the day, then add in 1k to 1500 calories of alcohol followed by drunken jack in the box which was another 3k calories

Sodium content north of 10k mg

IN ONE EFFIN DAY I WAS TAKING IN 6700 calories....NO WONDER I LOOKED LIKE THE GOODYEAR BLIMP!!!!!!!

That was some depressing research.

Replies

• zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about that lately. I don't even want to know the calories I consumed each time I was pregnant. Let's just say the lowest amount I gained was 45 pounds, that was with baby number 1.
  • witrixie2011
    witrixie2011 Posts: 224
    Options
    I do a ton of cooking/baking at home and I've started redoing my recipes. For each one I make a Before column and an After column for the new ingredient amount or substitution. I'm just amazed at the number of calories I was eating and how easy it is to make it soo much better.

Like this weekend I'll be making cookies for a trip. The before calories for the batch was around 12,000. Which is about 250 a cookie for about 2 tbsp of dough. With a couple of easy changes I chopped off about 3500 calories and now they're only 125 a cookie.

And I used to sit and eat a dozen of those without even thinking.... I know it's not fast food, but I really, really thought I "ate pretty good & healthy" before. :blushing:
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Even now if i bake cookies at home i can eat a tray - now it will be over two days instead of a couple hours! :wink:
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I thought about it.. Friday Fish fry is a big thing here and me and my buddies would always go to an all you can eat type of place and it would be beer battered fried fish.. probably eat 10 pieces with tarter sauce, fries, and a few beers (darker more calorie/carb beers) so that was probably 2-3k calories for a meal.. then we would go out and drink afterwards adding anywhere from another 1-3k calories..
    Or being a big tail gate state for sporting events, tailgate around noon, eat brats with beer, and drink beer for ya know... 10 hours.. with food.. probably a good 5-8k calorie days.. with a few of those a week.. ya...
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I have thought of this and I'm probably in the same ballpark calorie wise- although I have never sat down to actually figure it out. The worst part is while I was eating that much I also had a very sedentary lifestyle.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Awhile back before EM2WL, when I started realizing how often I refused to put meals in my tracker, I started putting them in our of curiosity! HOLY COW! I would consume A LOT!
  • witrixie2011
    witrixie2011 Posts: 224
    Options
    Chinese buffet..... I don't even want to know....
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    No, but I know my lunch (fast food) was easily over 1/2 of my whole day now.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite problem...because I was so scared to eat anything, most of what I ate was very, very low cal and I just didn't eat anything that had anything more than about 100 cals in it. So if I go back and track what I was eating, it was very sad. However, what happened with me, is that if I did eat because of an event or something (a binge for me would be something like normal food now with EM2WL) my body grabbed the cals and hung on to them and then never let them go again. :cry: And I'd cut out even more food and exercise even more. So...the cycle began. Once I started tracking on MFP I was so confused because I was already in the low, low numbers of cals and it wasn't until I found EM2WL that I finally understood what was happening.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Kind of like that thread about the 6k calorie day yesterday. It's totally possible, and a lot of people do it without even realizing.
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    Yes it is amazing. I love being healthier now. I love WALKING ONA TREADMILL now. I am re-doing all my recipes also. :)
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    I was just thinking about this the other day. I wish I would have tracked calories before but on a recent splurge day I was at almost 3000 calories and that was with a moderate breakfast and lunch. So I'm thinking I ate at least 3000 calories a day PLUS lots o' high calorie beer!

Just makes me even more confident that eating 2000 calories a day plus maintaining 3-5 hours of exercise per week will put me where I want to be.....eventually!
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Yep I did that and it was sickening and surprising to lean just how awful I was eating and doing so unknowingly. I'm so glad none of it tastes good to me anymore.
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    I had the opposite problem...because I was so scared to eat anything, most of what I ate was very, very low cal and I just didn't eat anything that had anything more than about 100 cals in it. So if I go back and track what I was eating, it was very sad. However, what happened with me, is that if I did eat because of an event or something (a binge for me would be something like normal food now with EM2WL) my body grabbed the cals and hung on to them and then never let them go again. :cry: And I'd cut out even more food and exercise even more. So...the cycle began. Once I started tracking on MFP I was so confused because I was already in the low, low numbers of cals and it wasn't until I found EM2WL that I finally understood what was happening.

I am right there with ya. After I stopped nursing my son I fell back into my usual way of eating (Special K bar for breakfast, Lean Cuisine for lunch, grilled chicken, rice and veggie for dinner). Once I started EM2WL I plugged that in and realized I was only eating 800 calories a day. No wonder I had no energy to exercise!
  • sugarplumj
    sugarplumj Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was really shocked and not so awed when I realized what a real portion was. Like, sure, yeah, I only eat veggie lasagna, but really I was eating about 3 portions worth. Same with pretty much everything, especially cheese. stupid delicious cheese...
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Yep! Hubby and I discuss it often. We used to go out to Chili's, Famous Dave's and Outback AT LEAST once a week when we were first married. We would easily consume 2000 calories each in that one meal! Acckkk!~
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    I was really shocked and not so awed when I realized what a real portion was. Like, sure, yeah, I only eat veggie lasagna, but really I was eating about 3 portions worth.

Same here, even though I thought I was good at cutting back portions, it wasn't until I starting using measuring cups and an oz scale that I REALLY am starting to get portion sizes.
    Same with pretty much everything, especially cheese. stupid delicious cheese...

Yep - I pretty sure even if I stopped weighing meats/grains because I feel confident eyeballing portions. I WILL ALWAYS HAVE TO WEIGH CHEESSSSSE!!! :love: Cheese!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Speaking of which ,

just got back from Costco and had a 1/4lb hot dog...didnt even phase me since its well within my calories for the day...it was delicious.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I don't even want to know how many calories are in a Popeye's 10 piece mixed box with a bottle of wine and 1/3 peach pie with a pint of ice cream...it might have taken me 3-4 hours while watching TV...holy crap!