Headaches

Options
Joanne_8595
Joanne_8595 Posts: 64 Member
BMR 1563
TDEE 2149
Daily Cal 1827

I am trying to log my food into this as well as using my Fitday Software (It has all my custom foods already in it and I have used it for a long time). I started the journey to losing weight in 2010, without really realizing it. I simply cut a few foods out of my diet and discovered I lost about 20 lbs using the docs scales. I normally go into the doc once a year mid summer, and was down a whole 20 pounds by removing foods from my diet that I didn't replace with other things. Big one for me was half and half in my coffee. I drink it black now. I sat down and really thought about it, and decided to drop a few other things and lost another 5 to 6 lbs over the next 6 months. I really wasn't tracking anything, or even thinking specifically about losing weight. This spring I decided that is was time for me to get serious about it, and really track what I eat. You guessed it, I immediately took my diet down to 1200 calories and felt like I was going to die. I exercised (when I had enough energy) but seriously it was not a fun couple months. I then did some reading and thought I had raised my calorie intake enough by putting it at about 1350 to 1400. I did lose another 16 lbs since I started tracking things (this is approx. cuz I basically started at 235 lbs and am now at 195), but about a month ago I totally stalled at 195 lbs. I am 5' 1" and 47 years old. Just about 1 1/2 weeks ago I started getting headaches, really severe ones. They last all day, and seem less severe when I spread my food out across the day pretty evenly. I changed my calorie intake to about 1800 the last 4 or 5 days, to see if I am simply not getting enough food to fuel my body. I am not extremely active, so I set activity level at light. I have felt like I have a LOT more energy, and have been doing my regular stretches, tummy tucks, and things like that for about 20 - 30 minutes each day. I have also tried to add an hour of Wii free step each day (I always take a day off once a week from all exercise). I use wide arm movements during the Wii session, holding a remote in each hand. This is by no means a heavy work session at all. I end up with about 2600 steps for each half hour. I rarely make the 30 % protein levels that EMTWL says to use, just not a meat eater, but I am trying.

I guess I just am wanting to know if I have figured this out or am I still undereating? I am also looking for some support in this endeavor, since this is so different from what I have used in the past (which btw NEVER worked for long). I keep logging my exercise, and MFP says eat more but I keep it right at 1800 or slightly higher. I am NOT in a race to lose, and want to learn how to eat for the rest of my life not just during the "diet" phase. Not real sure why I still have a headache today, but it isn't quite as bad.

Joanne

Replies

• Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I see you are drinking water so I have no clue but this will bump it up and maybe someone can help.
  • Joanne_8595
    Options
    Thanks! I drink a lot of water, mostly because I have asthma and it really helps to keep hydrated. I should go exercise for while, although I have been doing housework it's still not the same.
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    Do you have seasonal allergies at all? I never had allergies before, but this year it has bothered me some and the symptoms were a headache so i didn't figure it out for a while. Even if you haven't had allergies before, they can develop. FWIW
  • Joanne_8595
    Options
    Do you have seasonal allergies at all? I never had allergies before, but this year it has bothered me some and the symptoms were a headache so i didn't figure it out for a while. Even if you haven't had allergies before, they can develop. FWIW

Usually when my allergies act up my eyes water pretty bad and I sneeze, but you do have me thinking that if my food is where it should be maybe the headaches are from something else. It's rather strange, normally I don't get headaches like this unless there is a lot of smoke in the air from wildfires. I'm pretty sure there aren't any of those near me though, and am pretty sure this isn't allergy related, but you're right that it might be something totally unrelated to diet. Thanks for the response. :smile:
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Could be changes in your vision, could by changes in your blood pressure, it could be changes in your hormones. Yes, there are lots of reasons to get checked out by your MD. Hope you feel better soon!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Definitly check with a doc...could be lots of things...better safe than sorry!
  • Joanne_8595
    Options
    I've actually had every test under the sun done on me this spring, for other reasons, and just saw my doc not long ago. My blood was tested last week, and should get those results back soon, but I had it drawn about a month ago and everything was fine. The only changes I have really made have been diet related over the past couple months and the reason for the extensive testing has gone away. Hormones I suppose could be an issue, but I had a hysterectomy last December so TOM is not an issue. I also had a full eye exam in February. The headaches have been better then they were last week, after adjusting the amount I was eating and I really was just wondering if my numbers seem accurate for my activity level etc. I'm definitely not hungry anymore, and my health has been really good the last couple months.

I do know that diet can affect how I feel, and can give me headaches, so that's why I was asking about the "Am I eating enough for my activity level?" I mean I do regular housework during the day, but I do sit a lot too working on my computer, so setting myself at the Light level seemed about right. Most of you seem to do extensive workouts, including weight training etc which I do not do. The most I do is about 20 to 30 minutes of ab, leg, and arm stretches, no weights, plus about an hour of Wii free step or walking outside in our field. If this is accounted for in the number the scooby calc gave me, then I should be eating around 1800 calories and shouldn't have to track my exercise calories?