effective lifting program/book for home use (not gym)?

Options
bellabrite
bellabrite Posts: 89 Member
Anyone know of a book or plan that is considered to be as effective as the New Rules of Lifting for Women, but can be done at home?
I can buy a few weights, a ball, bands -- but not all the equipment that New Rules requires.

I already do Pilates 2x week but want to add 2-3 more strength training sessions per week.

Thanks!

Replies

• PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Here's a couple of links, the first one she doesn't use heavy weights, but her body and I think bands, dumbbells. Short programs that change every week:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZuzkaLight

and another free one, Jamie Eason:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html

Have fun!
  • bellabrite
    Options
    Thanks, I'll check these out :)
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    I'm interested in programs like this too! Thanks.....and bump
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    bumpity-bump!
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Lurking...
  • MeDoula
    Options
    I just recently completed Insanity and can tell you that they use lots of body weight in their program. My strength improved a lot. I'm also thinking about getting Bodylastics resistance bands. Weights are not an option for me since we move about every 3 years.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I just bought the book The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises. I have read it but haven't started the program yet as I would like to finish what I'm currently doing and I also want to add a few more pieces to my home gym. I really like the book as there are fantastic photos to demonstrate form as well as pre-designed workouts (but you can also develop your own). They also show each exercise using dumbbells, barbell, on a bench, modified on the floor (where applicable), with stability balls, etc. There is also some nice education on muscle groups and what exercise works on what which as I newbie to the whole lifting thing, I found very helpful :)
  • TonyaBtrfly
    TonyaBtrfly Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I just recently completed Insanity and can tell you that they use lots of body weight in their program. My strength improved a lot. I'm also thinking about getting Bodylastics resistance bands. Weights are not an option for me since we move about every 3 years.
    I have resistance bands and they are great. Love them=especially if you travel etc you can always take them with you
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Hi there, New Rules of Lifting can be done at home too. There are alternate exercises listed for most exercises. I have a friend who is doing it at home right now...she posts on here sometimes too but not a lot.

Do you have weights at home?
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I have the book NROLW but to me the stages were confusing to me and it seemed to hard for home....This is just me though...I ended up getting the Chealean Extreme DVD set b/c it's made for doing at home and you can see on there and make sure you are doing the exercises correctly b/c I was scared of my form and wanted to 'see' that I was doing it right plus I liked someone telling me what to do for the exercises and why....So, this for me was the best thing b/c all you need is weights or resistance bands....I love it!!! But whatever you choose to do - Good luck to you!!! :)
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    bump for all sites...and ideas. A friend has suggeated this site. http://www.fitnessblender.com. I intend to check it out today. :)
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I just bought the book The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises. I have read it but haven't started the program yet as I would like to finish what I'm currently doing and I also want to add a few more pieces to my home gym. I really like the book as there are fantastic photos to demonstrate form as well as pre-designed workouts (but you can also develop your own). They also show each exercise using dumbbells, barbell, on a bench, modified on the floor (where applicable), with stability balls, etc. There is also some nice education on muscle groups and what exercise works on what which as I newbie to the whole lifting thing, I found very helpful :)

I have this too and am doing one of the routines in the back. This book is a GREAT resource.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

I have this too and am doing one of the routines in the back. This book is a GREAT resource.

I completely agree! I really like that there are pre-designed workouts to make it less confusing at the beginning! How long have you been doing it for? Are you noticing any results?
  • MeDoula
    Options
    I have the book NROLW but to me the stages were confusing to me and it seemed to hard for home....This is just me though...I ended up getting the Chealean Extreme DVD set b/c it's made for doing at home and you can see on there and make sure you are doing the exercises correctly b/c I was scared of my form and wanted to 'see' that I was doing it right plus I liked someone telling me what to do for the exercises and why....So, this for me was the best thing b/c all you need is weights or resistance bands....I love it!!! But whatever you choose to do - Good luck to you!!! :)

I'm considering getting either Chalean or P90x.
  • bellabrite
    Options
    Thanks, you guys!
    I'm getting quite interested in ChaLean. There is a gigantic thread on it over at caloriecount.com (like 800 replies). There are also reviews on amazon.

Now I just need to solve my technical problems -- no TV or DVD player! I hope that soon we will have the option of buying stuff on DVDs or flash drives. . . .
  • macnurseapril
    macnurseapril Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I do NROL4W at home. I use:

A Swiss Ball $17 at walmart
    Weights $89 at walmart
    Foot stool $10 at walmart

I use youtube to explain the exercises and to find alternatives at home by using the exercise I want the word dumbbell. I really enjoy it!
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    This site looks interesting http://www.fitnessblender.com
    Especially since I own a jump rope and haven't used it in a long time. That's one of the first exercises I started doing about 5 years ago because I could clear the basement ceiling. It was a great workout in the winter when I couldn't get outside!
  • Sid422
    Sid422 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • elly1979
    elly1979 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do NROL4W at home. I use:

A Swiss Ball $17 at walmart
    Weights $89 at walmart
    Foot stool $10 at walmart

I use youtube to explain the exercises and to find alternatives at home by using the exercise I want the word dumbbell. I really enjoy it!

^^^ i do exactly what she does. :) now nearly done with stage 1.
    I'm thinking of getting a normal barbell for stage 2.
    But it IS doable at home, just abit modified (especially deadlifts and squats).