99 two hours after bkfst

Options
2»

Replies

• waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Great. Yeah the keeping our blood glucose on an even keel seems to be one great goal. I was on metformin but it didn't agree with me at all. Now I'm on Glipizide and Victoza. My long term goal is to drop weight, exercise and get off these meds totally.

Good luck and keep at it. Bravo

I was originally put on Metformin, then switched to Glipizide and Victoza. I'm on my 3rd month without Glipizide right now, waiting for the next doc appointment to see how my A1C is. So nice to find someone else on here taking Victoza!

Has the victoza made you eat less as well? I find i get full fast with less than 1/2 of my former portions. My goal by end of year is to be off the Victoza and then eventually off the glipizide as well.

Definitely. I've actually experimented a bit with it since my sugar is decent and when I'm off it for about two days my hunger comes back. Kind of stinks too because eventually I'd like to be off it but now I'm a little worried about trying it on my own.

On a positive note I had my doctors appointment and it went really well. The doctor is very proud of my work, my A1C was again 5.8, my blood pressure is good at 114/70, I've lost a ton of weight (finally not obese for the first time as an adult). I'm pretty excited. I'm going in on Monday for my cholesterol and stuff like that since I wasn't fasting for my 2pm appointment last week, lol.
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    So, 2 hours is the best time to test after eating???

I need to start carrying my test stuff with me. My doc was more concerned about my high BS in the mornings, so he was just having me test in the AM when i got up, and at night before bed. My a1c was 5.8 recently, so i guess i'm doing OK, but it would be really nice to understand how the food i eat effects me.

sometimes i'm fine after I eat, others i am ready to pass out after an hour or so.

I have a fitbit to help me track activity and calorie burn, and i can have 3 glucose trackers too...so that would be great.

What stood out about what you said is that you're really tired after some of your meals and I know I used to feel that way when my sugar was high. I would just take a nap and sleep it off. At the time I didn't know what was going on, it was before I was diagnosed by in hindsight, yep, high sugars.

It's best to test at the one hour mark and two hour mark and see which one is higher. If you're higher at one hour then that's when you should test after a meal, if it's higher at the two hour mark then that's when you should test to know your after meal number. It depends on what doctor you have on what reading they want for after meal. Mine wants me under 140 after a meal, the American Diabetic Association says under 180 (which I think is a little on the high side). But an A1C of 5.8 is really good, it's where I'm at and my doctor actually said that I could stop testing my sugar if I wanted to (no way am I going to do that though!!).

Edited to say: High morning readings could be because you aren't eating a snack before bed and you're experiencing the dawn phenomenon. Once I realized that I needed to eat a snack that consists of both a carb and protein shortly before bed my morning sugars have been a lot better.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I do better in the morning if I have a high protein low carb high fat snack before bed. But for me, carbs never help my BG. Experiment with different combos of food and see what work for you.

A1C is an average of 3 months. One problem with them is that you could be really high at some times and really low at other times and you will average out with a decent A1C. Testing more often will tell you more about what is going on. I can't believe that insurance companies think that testing once a day is adequate. My insurance covers 100 strips for 90 days. I buy the rest but have found a meter that my strips only cost a little over $20 for 100.
  • dan1955chevy
    Options
    Eat a good breakfast every day. Do not use powder cream in coffee My count was 250 in the morning and I didn't know why. I got rid of coffee mate and used half & half liquid cream and haven't. Been high sence.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    My insurance covers 100 strips for 90 days. I buy the rest but have found a meter that my strips only cost a little over $20 for 100.

What meter do you use that the strips cost $20.00 for 100?
  • Dietz27
    Dietz27 Posts: 107
    Options
    Congrats!
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    My insurance covers 100 strips for 90 days. I buy the rest but have found a meter that my strips only cost a little over $20 for 100.

What meter do you use that the strips cost $20.00 for 100?

It's called True Result. Since I'm poor I go to a sliding scale clinic but they told me this is the price they sell them for. The first bottle of strips is like $28 but then there is a coupon for $8 in each box so your subsequent boxes are only $20. They gave me the meter with the first box.

I have also heard Walmart has a fairly cheap meter and strips. I never went and checked them out though.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    That's because doctors are ecstatic when patients even CONSIDER testing once a day, starting a diet or exercise program. Most DM2 patients are NOT like the people in this forum.

When I had my six week check up my doctor was so impressed with my numbers he said he only wanted me to test once a day. I test twice a day though. I pretty much know what I can eat and what I can't but if I try new things I test them out.

Sharonks - I will have to check out Walmart's prices. Right now I am using the Freestyle lite and my strips cost 15 for 50. Yes not a bad price but if I go on a testing spree my insurance will only cover strip refills within a certain time frame and Abbott will only allow me to get strips every 27 days to help with my co pay.
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that there are so many supportive people in this group. I am on Metformin and Victoza, also hoping to get off at least the Victoza soon. Still have 15 lbs to lose to get to my Doc's goal, although it seems every time I get close she lowers it again! I guess I am very lucky that except for the initial two weeks on Metformin I have not had any problems with it. My A1C as gone from 13.9 a year ago to 6.1 in April. Hoping to get it down further at the next check in a month. My Doc started me out testing only once a day, in the morning. I think some Docs may do this to work your way into the testing slowly. Now I test 3-4 times a day: 1st thing in the morning and 2 hrs after every meal.
  • anaussie
    anaussie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Great job. I almost never get that low.

Are you a diabetic?

Proteins peak at 4.5 hr and carbs at 1 hr.. among normal non-diabetic. This is as per 11 year old notes in my diary.

I'm diabetic type II.. my carbs peak at 2 hours. I used to test 3 hours after meal. For years now, I have relied on early morning fasting blood sugar numbers. Having gone through the process, fasting blood sugars tell me everything I need to know. I do not take any medications.. diet and daily brisk walks controlled for 11 years. HbA1c 4.6 (83).....

For whatever this is worth.