Fun Facts

alofay
alofay Posts: 127 Member
Did you know that 10 minutes of jumping rope is roughly equivalent to running an 8-minute mile.

Replies

• alofay
    Jumping rope for 10 minutes at 120 RPM produces the same cardiovascular fitness as the following activities:

Activity / Time
    Cycling: 2 miles in 6 minutes
    Handball: 20 minutes
    Jogging: 30 minutes at a moderate pace
    Running: 1 mile in 8 minutes
    Swimming: 720 yards in 12 minutes
    Tennis: 90 minutes (singles)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Okay, so the goal is 10 minutes a day?
  • alofay
    I think that sounds like a great starting point :)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    I think that sounds like a great starting point :)

Starting point? Are you INSANE?! LOL
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Okay my goal is to jump rope 10 minutes everyday the first week, shall we raise the stakes each week, say 15?
  • alofay
    LOL. We'll see how everyone does on day 1. 10 minutes doesn't seem too killer...

The way I imagined this to work is:

Week 1 - 60 minutes of Jump Rope - that breaks down to just under 9 minutes a day. Break it up how you may. Two minutes in the morning. Four minutes over lunch and three minutes after dinner or whatever...

Week 2 - 2 hours of Jump Rope

Week 3 - 3 hours of Jump Rope

July 29th - 30 Minutes
    July 30th - 30 Minutes
    July 31st - 30 minutes

August 1st - Before and After Pictures? :D
  • rainman3k
    rainman3k Posts: 174 Member
    This is a great idea!

During my cross fit class last Sunday the girl who runs it talked about adding jump rope intervals to my current workout routine to change things up.

So my plan was to add 5 two minute sessions in between my supersets. That will cover 4 days of the week, now to figure out the other three days :)
  • What a great idea! Something I can do inside (it's been 90 degrees plus the past few days..not including humidity) and still get cardio in! Yay!
  • alofay
    Glad you guys are on board :D
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    I've been jumping rope for about a year since I dislike jogging. Most sort of look at me funny at the gym. But I try to do 20-30 min of it 3 days a week, at the end of my normal weight lifting sessions.
  • barbara1982
    barbara1982 Posts: 349 Member
    That's a great idea! Looking forward to the start date, but might get in some jumping rope before as well!
  • loki3981
    loki3981 Posts: 249 Member
    I'm HORRIBLE at jumping rope. Most of the time I lay it on the ground and bunny hop over it. LOL.
  • chocobis09
    chocobis09 Posts: 57 Member
    What a great idea! Something I can do inside (it's been 90 degrees plus the past few days..not including humidity) and still get cardio in! Yay!

That's what I was thinking as well its a 109 at 7pm. I am definitnely looking for something to do in the house.