Do you have a BMF/similar? I need your help!

Options
I can't afford a BMF/fitbit/bodybugg right now. So I want to ask those of you who have one a quick favour (it will take less than a minute).

Could you go to this website:
http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
And fill in the dials, and then tell me how it corresponds with your BMF type device's TDEE?

I ask because that site gives me 2250 cals on a rest day, often nearer 3000 on a workout day. I'm 5'1 and 107lbs - it seems a lot! If the site is accurate for the rest of you then I'll go with it, if not I'll start saving up.

Thanks so much in advance :)
Mili

Replies

• maltipink
    maltipink Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I can't afford a BMF/fitbit/bodybugg right now. So I want to ask those of you who have one a quick favour (it will take less than a minute).

And fill in the dials, and then tell me how it corresponds with your BMF type device's TDEE?

I ask because that site gives me 2250 cals on a rest day, often nearer 3000 on a workout day. I'm 5'1 and 107lbs - it seems a lot! If the site is accurate for the rest of you then I'll go with it, if not I'll start saving up.

Mili

I have a body mediafit and on a rest day, I clock in at 2016calories. The website calculator you provided me with a value of 2169. I really enjoy the data the BMF provides me with but I have gained weight since I have owned it. The reason I think is two fold.. 1) I have started doing a lot of exercise and 2) I have upped my calories significantly so that I am at TDEE-15%. My body is not used to eating this much so it is having a little bit of a hissy fit right now. I am trying to stay patient and positive. I should also mention that although I have gained weight, I have not noticed an increase in inches. good luck!
  • maltipink
    Options
    oooopppssss.. I just realixed I did not "dial in" my sleeping. When I do that, I get a burn almost spot on with what BMF gives me
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have a BMF and generally I burn about 2500-2600 cals/day. I used that calculator you requested and, once I adjusted my elliptical training and/or jogging (that I do for 1 hour each day) to moderate exercise instead of "intense" It came out pretty accurate! It said my BMR was 1412 and my TDEE was 2545! just look closely at what it calls "intense exercise" but it seems pretty accurate to me!
  • maltipink
    Options
    The other thing that BMF calculates is vigorous(intense) versus moderate activity. What I thought was vigorous really wasn't. The only thing that really gets me to vigorous is if I am running with it on. From the looks of the calculator thing, BMF estimates my burn overall a little less.
  • maltipink
    Options
    Hey, I have a BMF and generally I burn about 2500-2600 cals/day. I used that calculator you requested and, once I adjusted my elliptical training and/or jogging (that I do for 1 hour each day) to moderate exercise instead of "intense" It came out pretty accurate! It said my BMR was 1412 and my TDEE was 2545! just look closely at what it calls "intense exercise" but it seems pretty accurate to me!

Have you lost weight using the numbers BMF gives you?
  • emgel9
    Options
    I just got my BMF about 2 weeks ago and one of those weeks was not the best eating wise. I hit a plateau about 2 weeks before getting the BMF and am still working through it, I am also not weighing myself for the month of June. BUT I love the BMF, I love the info and data feeback and it DEF makes me walk more! Also, based on my BMF numbers I haven't been eating enough at all. I will check back in at the end of June with my weight loss. The BMF numbers make sense to me (MFP wasn't getting an accurate picture of calories burned because I never entered my walking, and I walk my dog about 2 miles every evening) so I am feeling good and sticking with it.

Since I don't have much weight left to lose it isn't falling off that quickly. did this help at all?
  • maltipink
    Options
    I just got my BMF about 2 weeks ago and one of those weeks was not the best eating wise. I hit a plateau about 2 weeks before getting the BMF and am still working through it, I am also not weighing myself for the month of June. BUT I love the BMF, I love the info and data feeback and it DEF makes me walk more! Also, based on my BMF numbers I haven't been eating enough at all. I will check back in at the end of June with my weight loss. The BMF numbers make sense to me (MFP wasn't getting an accurate picture of calories burned because I never entered my walking, and I walk my dog about 2 miles every evening) so I am feeling good and sticking with it.

Since I don't have much weight left to lose it isn't falling off that quickly. did this help at all?

Yes! I have actually gained since I got it (about a month ago). I think that is due to the fact that I started working out and started eating way more (TDEE-15%). I am begning to wonder if I need to do a full reset.
  • maltipink
    Options

Mili

Sorry...did not mean to Hijack your thread!!!
  • emgel9
    Options
    I actually haven't changed the amount I eat since getting the BMF (I was on about 1800/day but I flex between 1800 and 2000) so while I know I am eating a little low now that I know my true TDEE I haven't bumped up my calorie intake - hence the plateau (and not gaining yet that I know of). I never did a vlcd so I haven't really considered a full reset.

To the original poster: that online calculator seems very accurate! try following it for a few weeks and see how you feel!
  • maltipink
    Options
    I agree, the calculator looks really good. Just remember, err on the side of caution when you are choosing something as intense activity, it is most likely not. For example, I can have a hardcore sweat going on while using the elliptical for 50 minutes. My BMF records all but ten minutes as "moderate" activity. However, if I go for a run outside for 35 minutes, the BMF will give me 30 minutes of vigorous activity.
  • emgel9
    Options
    I have found that if I put my BMF on my left calf when I use the elliptical I get a MUCH more accurate read and it counts it as "vigorous" activity, have you tried this? When I first used the BMF on the elliptical on my arm it didn't think I was doing much...
  • maltipink
    Options
    I have found that if I put my BMF on my left calf when I use the elliptical I get a MUCH more accurate read and it counts it as "vigorous" activity, have you tried this? When I first used the BMF on the elliptical on my arm it didn't think I was doing much...

I read that too so I have been wearing it on my calf. It does record the entire activity but hardly ever gets into vogourous. Maybe I am just not working hard enough lol
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options

I read that too so I have been wearing it on my calf. It does record the entire activity but hardly ever gets into vogourous. Maybe I am just not working hard enough lol

Not sure if I'm just a super walker or what, but I have found that I can get mine into vigorous range walking my dog at a very fast pace. I don't run...just walk very fast. And yet, other things I think are vigorous don't show up as such. I sure wish I understood the science behind it all, but it obviously takes a lot of factors into account when it's reading your workout.

I also agree that putting it on your calf for activities such as biking, is important in order to get a good reading.
  • maltipink
    Options

Not sure if I'm just a super walker or what, but I have found that I can get mine into vigorous range walking my dog at a very fast pace. I don't run...just walk very fast. And yet, other things I think are vigorous don't show up as such. I sure wish I understood the science behind it all, but it obviously takes a lot of factors into account when it's reading your workout.

I also agree that putting it on your calf for activities such as biking, is important in order to get a good reading.

Have you been able to trust your numbers for weight loss?
  • findingmyhappyplace
    findingmyhappyplace Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Please keep any answers to the original question coming. I would love to have as many replies as possible since I am basing my calorie intake purely off the response I get on this thread!
  • allieguerra22
    Options
    It seems pretty accurate to me.
  • wonderkitten711
    wonderkitten711 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Mine is WAY off. Like, overestimating my BMR by about 300 calories, and giving me a TDEE about a thousand calories higher than my BMF gives me for an average day o.O

Actual numbers
    BMR: 2053
    Average TDEE from BMF: 3100 or so

The linked website gives me
    BMR: 2339
    TDEE: 4097

So I guess...your mileage may vary?
  • wonderkitten711
    wonderkitten711 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I should add, my BMF gives me numbers that almost EXACTLY match what the scooby calculator says my TDEE should be, so I think Scooby might be more accurate than the one you're using; at least it really is for me >.>
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    that is pretty dang cool.

the dial tdee came out about 85 less than my average tdee for my first week with my bmf. the dial put my bmr a little low though, so taking that into account, the tdee values are about the same.

this is cool. i was totally not believing my bmf numbers.
  • findingmyhappyplace
    findingmyhappyplace Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Wow, I guess I may have saved myself a LOT of money. But how is it possible that someone as small as me can burn 2200 cals on a rest day?