Are you doing anything else?

Options
Hi Friends, Good Morning and Happy Thursday (or Friday-eve as we call it around the office )

How is everyone doing? I'm pretty excited I start Day 2 of Week 1 today and I'm feeling very confident. I completed a hike yesterday that although short in distance (a little over a mile to the top) is very challenging (It climbs 1025 feet in that 1+ mile) and did it in less than average time of 40mins. I got down the mountain in 30mins and had to jog most of the way (because it’s so steep) I woke up a bit sore this morning but all in all I'm feeling good.

Soooo.. I was wondering what other exercise you are incorporating into your routine? I'm doing strength moves on the days I do my c25k , I'm walking 1-2 miles mon.-fri. while on my (2)15min breaks at work and on the days I don’t do C25k I'm either hiking or doing a Jillian Michael’s DVD- The two I do our 30day shred and Yoga Meltdown (my fav!!!)

What about you? I need some fresh ideas but don’t want to burn myself out, for those that have completed c25k before am I doing too much? Should I not be walking on my c25k days?

Replies

• rachaela06
    rachaela06 Posts: 167
    Options
    My routine is very similar to yours, Mon., Wed., Fri., I do abs and strength, then C25k, other days I do a Jillian Michael's DVD and/or get on the treadmill, slower pace and more incline. Sunday is my rest day.

I just have to watch my knees and sometimes I do one thing in the morning then finish up in the evening. I don't know if it's too much or not, but I have definitely noticed some great changes in my endurance. Sometimes I add another rest day, it just depends on how my knees feel.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    My routine is very similar to yours, Mon., Wed., Fri., I do abs and strength, then C25k, other days I do a Jillian Michael's DVD and/or get on the treadmill, slower pace and more incline. Sunday is my rest day.

I just have to watch my knees and sometimes I do one thing in the morning then finish up in the evening. I don't know if it's too much or not, but I have definitely noticed some great changes in my endurance. Sometimes I add another rest day, it just depends on how my knees feel.

Awesome glad to hear cause you look amazing!! I just started this week but already notice some great change in my endurance and body so Im hooked!! this is just what I needed to get myself back on track!! I havnt felt this "rush" and urge to exercise since I started losing weight so this is a great thing. I give myself Sunday to rest also maybe Sat and Sun depending on how my body feels and how I did through out the week :-)
  • kelsafish
    kelsafish Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm also doing the Jillian Michael's 30DS. The c25k is a great cardio workout but I need to incorporate some kind of strength training too.
  • leanne5025
    leanne5025 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I joined a crossfit training class which is strength and cardio, and just finished week 3 of 2x a week. It's great and I can certainly feel a difference in my endurance and strength as well as my running since we do that in class too! It's pretty kick *kitten* but not too hard for most people to do if they know how to modify if necessary.

I also try to sneak in bike ride or swimming during the week, and at least one yoga class since yoga is great for strength and flexibility. I try to keep my exercise interesting and challenging. If I was just running and walking all week I would get pretty bored real fast.
  • barbcouperus
    barbcouperus Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends, Good Morning and Happy Thursday (or Friday-eve as we call it around the office )

How is everyone doing? I'm pretty excited I start Day 2 of Week 1 today and I'm feeling very confident. I completed a hike yesterday that although short in distance (a little over a mile to the top) is very challenging (It climbs 1025 feet in that 1+ mile) and did it in less than average time of 40mins. I got down the mountain in 30mins and had to jog most of the way (because it’s so steep) I woke up a bit sore this morning but all in all I'm feeling good.

Soooo.. I was wondering what other exercise you are incorporating into your routine? I'm doing strength moves on the days I do my c25k , I'm walking 1-2 miles mon.-fri. while on my (2)15min breaks at work and on the days I don’t do C25k I'm either hiking or doing a Jillian Michael’s DVD- The two I do our 30day shred and Yoga Meltdown (my fav!!!)

What about you? I need some fresh ideas but don’t want to burn myself out, for those that have completed c25k before am I doing too much? Should I not be walking on my c25k days?

I've actually just switched up my cardio days (ie:C25K)...I'm now doing 2 days of the running program, 3 days of strength training (2 workouts on Tuesday, running in the AM and a kickboxing class in the evening). Rest on the weekends...very important to have rest days in there, or days with just a light stretching DVD or a leisurely walk.
  • carolinesmiles
    Options
    I'm currently doing C25K on Tues-Thurs-Sat, but I'll probably switch to M-W-F next week. I do some sort of stretching (yoga, pilates, etc.) on my C25K days, and I do strength training and Zumba on my days off. I try to take Saturday and Sunday off.
  • drotarthebarbarian
    drotarthebarbarian Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am in the second week of Tapout XT. It's a pretty hardcore program, but I REALLY want to be able to run. I am doing the C25K on my rest day, my yoga day & on my mostly upper-body day. The workouts are pretty much all cardiovascular mixed with strength training, so I figure that my best option is to run on the days less strain is put on my legs. So far, two runs into week one, I feel great!
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Strength training, definitely. Afraid of losing muscle mass along with the fat. Don't want to be "skinny fat," as they say... I suppose there's a risk of overdoing it, but so far it seems manageable.
  • heatherambrosia
    Options
    Right now I'm doing Zumba 3-4 times a week... usually on run days at lunch or afterwork. I do a group power class on Tues and Thurs and swim or bike on the weekends. My c25K is Monday and Thursday at 530AM and then Saturdays at 730. I wanted to do Saturday AM so I can get the feel for what a race day would be like in regards to heat, food needs etc.
  • JenniferDent_CHC
    JenniferDent_CHC Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I discovered the Nike Training Camp (NTC) app and I LOVE LOVE LOVE these workouts. It's functional training at it's best and I can do it in my bedroom with weights and a medicine ball.

The app is FREE and it has over 100 different workouts on it. I'll be doing those workouts in between my running days. Since a personal trainer is not in the budget, this is the next best thing.
  • vai45
    vai45 Posts: 29
    Options
    I'm also doing Jillian DVD's a few times a week. I joined this group after I completed Jillian's 90 day Body Revolution. It was awesome! I didn't want to just stop or continue the same thing so decided to start running and am loving this program so far :)