The Movie

Options
I was really impressed when I watched FOK and since watching it, I have also read Eat to Live, Skinny *****, Disease Proof your Child and watched "Got (the facts on) Milk?", the Beautiful Truth and Food Inc. Between all of these I am really practicing being vegan. I am near 100%, sometimes I'll eat the odd thing I'm not EXACTLY sure that is in it and I had some turkey and bacon at Cmas... but otherwise I've been meat- and dairy-free for almost three months.

It's fun. I find eating this way sooo easy when preparing food, everything is so simple once you get the hang of it, especially if you stick with whole foods and keep a well stocked pantry. I adore cooking, so it has been fun to try new recipes.

I'm also a mom of a six-year-old and a six-month-old which is interesting and demands a lot of energy as every parent knows. Interestingly, even though my calories are often around 1200 vs 2400/day which is recommended for breastfeeding, with my nutrition so high, I have a ton of milk, more than I did at this point with my oldest.

Weightloss is slow, but I think I'm one of the lucky women who holds on to her weight while nursing... oh well, I'm healthy and it IS coming off - I've lost about 15 pounds in 2 1/2 months.

Good luck to everyone and please, let's make this a great place for discussion.

Replies

• boyleg1
    boyleg1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It seems that you and I are on a very similar path. I actually say the CNN documentary with Dr. Gupta and former President Bill Clinton. I realized if Wild Bill go follow this diet that I could to. I have read “Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease” by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn and “The Engine 2 Diet” by his son Rip. I sold all of the meat products and oils that I had in my house to a co-worker for $20. He said this was the best deal he had ever gotten. The other guys at the power plant where I work were asking a ton of questions and thought what I was doing was radical. I shared with them Dr. Esselstyn’s belief that open heart surgery is pretty radical.
    Here in the past few weeks, I have watched FOK and bought the book. I also bought some other books (China Study, McDougall Cookbook and Dr. Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes). I’ve learned a lot and can’t wait to see the results. I love all of the recipes that I've tried and don't miss meet or dairy a bit.
    Greg
  • belladonna_3k
    Options
    I also cut out meat and probably 95% of dairy since watching this movie... I was never a big meat eater or egg eater, so that part hasn't been too tough. I do love my cheese and use it a lot in cooking, but I'm finding the soy cheeses and veggie slices are SO good I don't miss anything at all. I haven't gone 100% since I'd just gone grocery shopping before watching the movie, and I'm finishing up what little dairy (fat free, but still) I'd gotten. Everyone says "oh you'll miss this or that" but so far, I haven't missed a thing, and I feel better. It is taking my body a bit to adjust to the changes though.... my little bit of weight loss stalled out (the nurse where I work said it was most likely due to the drastic change in eating habits confusing my body?) but we'll see the next time I weigh. I have some really nice vegetarian/vegan recipes I could share if anyone was interested :-) Best of luck and best of health!
  • 72MonteCarla
    72MonteCarla Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am wanting to transition into veganism. I have some animal products in my fridge/freezer that I am going to continue to consume as I transition, but I will avoid purchasing animal products going forward. I ordered two cookbooks today that one of my MFP friends recommended: 'Appetite for Reduction' and 'Veganomicon'. I was ovo/lacto vegetarian years ago, but I know I wasn't doing it right. I have a lot of weight to lose, but I am primarily interested in total wellness. I will be 40 this year and I am lucky that I have been a relatively healthy overweight person. But I know that my luck will run out... If I don't change now I will likely face diabetes or other chronic diseases. I am looking forward to sharing my experiences with - and learning from - all of you.
  • pam523
    pam523 Posts: 1
    Options
    "The Kind Diet" by Alicia Silverstone is also a great book. She actually started me on my journey and so far it's been amazing. I've lost 15 lbs and feel great. I was suffering from horrible headaches, diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and experience insomnia for over a year. Becoming Vegan has completely changed my life and I hope to continue on this path. FOK just reinforced that is the right decision for me. I hope somewhere down the road my family decides to join me.
  • NikMosch
    NikMosch Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am a devoted vegan who is looking to shift my significant (meat-loving) other to a more plant-based diet. It's nice to meet so many like-minded people here!
  • elizawyo
    Options
    I read Alicia's book as a vegetarian. I just reread it as a vegan. I feel so much more proud of myself after reading the first part of th book on animals in factory farms. Her book is one of my favorites
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I saw the movie last year in June. I was dumbfounded. I read Dr. Esselstyn's book and then Dr. Campbell's. I was sold on the idea that this could work so I looked into a little further and did research on what the heck I was going to be eating!
    I started Dr. E's version of the diet and have been really strict since Nov 1st, 2011. My only vice left is coffee. Espresso actually.
    I have seen amazing results since Nov 1st. This stuff works!
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    This movie changed my life!! We watched FOK, then Fat Sick & Nearly Dead and finished with Food Matters. We started the Vegan diet as of January 2012 and had incredible results. Well my old self loved dessert, butter, cream, cheese and bacon. But now I've never felt better in my whole life. I have energy, no cravings, feel energized and am happy! The hardest part was the first week and detoxing, but I'm now meat, coffee and dairy free!

I bought The Happy Herbivore. They have excellent and simple recipes that are whole food plant based recipes. Check them out. I also recommend Dr. fuhrman's book Fit for Life! It is so inspirational and gives you the needed tools for a successful, healthy and happy life!
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    "The Kind Diet" by Alicia Silverstone is also a great book. She actually started me on my journey and so far it's been amazing. I've lost 15 lbs and feel great. I was suffering from horrible headaches, diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and experience insomnia for over a year. Becoming Vegan has completely changed my life and I hope to continue on this path. FOK just reinforced that is the right decision for me. I hope somewhere down the road my family decides to join me.
    Hi, Im new to FOK's group .... I have 4 kids and am happily married , and want to be completely on a plant based diet, mostly raw though- I love working out and cooking healthy meals .I am reading this book too! Great!!!! I am now practicing vegan, but no grains and no rice . I have Hashimoto's Disease so I have an underactive thyroid...I didnt lose anything in 6 months so I needed a change! my thyroid levels are still not very good for losing weight , but hoping I can help the Hashi's mostly..since meds arent! Also maybe if Im lucky shed about 25 pounds ??? I loved FOK and wish all my family would realize how bad animals products are for you!!!! I like the saying " Animals are my friends and I dont eat my friends"! I am an animal lover so it only makes sense especially when you have an auto-immune problem. I would LOVE some vegan friends!!! or raw foodies!!
  • Theocian74
    Theocian74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just watched the movie. It really was eye-opening. I hope to become vegan, but I need help with meal plans and recipes. This is very exciting, but I really want to stick with it.
  • heathermora11
    heathermora11 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I just watched the movie yesterday on Netflix. I watched it by myself while my daughter was napping and then again when my husband got home because I just HAD to show it to him. He has long been wary of dairy, he says he "stuffs it down" thinking it is necessary - so he is happy to cut that out. And he is willing to try some plant-based meals and see how he feels! I am elated! We have a 13 month old daughter who LOVES her milk and cheese, but also is a fan of tofu, veggies, rice cakes, etc. So I just planned out my first week of vegan meals (using recipes from contributors listed on the forksoverknives.com blog) and we are just going to see how it works for our family. We are by no means preaching this as gospel yet but I am SOOO excited!
  • bleu528
    bleu528 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The movie was really eye opening! Might rewatch it hah
    I've been able to find some good recipes on the forums but I guess I would need the book and some other books to help as I'm still getting the hang of how to eat vegan
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I just watched the movie. It really was eye-opening. I hope to become vegan, but I need help with meal plans and recipes. This is very exciting, but I really want to stick with it.
    Try http://happyherbivore.com/

Happy Herbivore.com She has some meal plans that are cheap and comes with a complete grocery list. She also has great cook books.

Good Luck.
  • KetsyBaby
    KetsyBaby Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I really want to see this film, but I can't find a copy on Netflix Canada or YouTube, and I am not sure if buying the DVD is worth it or not. What are your thoughts? I have already opted to go full Vegan (Based on my compassion, my health state, and a lot of reading and documentaries viewed.) How did you find the movie and do you have any online links to view it?
    Thanks!

:heart: Please Add ME To Your Friends Support Team, I am looking for like minded individuals who are at the beginning, middle, or near goal in their journey to help me stay motivated and positive. I love a great sense of humor! I have a long road ahead of me, and need a good network of friends. :heart:

Ketsy
    40, Female
    GTA, Ontario, CANADA

9159792.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • tinagirton
    tinagirton Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try to find "Forks Over Knives" on hulu.com . I went plant based after watching it about a year and half ago (I think, whenever it was in the theaters) I feel great!!
  • sublimechik28
    sublimechik28 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Saw the movie very eye opening and it inspired me to try out the vegan thing.4 days strong now. But i dont want to call myself a vegan lol it makes me feel snooty for some reason. hmm herbivore sounds kool
  • tinagirton
    tinagirton Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I say that I am Plantbased.
  • Literary1111
    Literary1111 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love FOK, I watched Vegucated at the weekend which if anyone was ever thinking of weakening on a vegan diet, it will put them back on the straight and narrow. I love a good vegan based documentary, there just isn't enough of them. Have seen Fat Sick which I thought was very inspirational also the Reverse Diabetes In 30 days film that is good.
  • jenniferrr127
    jenniferrr127 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    just watched evacuated....I almost cried!!
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I watched FOK the week of Xmas 2012. I converted almost the same day. I took it day by day. Fortunately I had a good base to start from because I had already been cutting out meat a few days per week. Cutting out cheese has been more difficult, and cooking without oil. The upside is that I can eating to full satiety now and not gain weight.

I also watched the other food documentaries on Netflix, like Food, Inc, E2, King Corn, Fat Sick Neary Dead. A coworker loaned me a DVD called "Eating, 3rd Edition". It is even more powerful the FOK. Check that one out.

I feel like someday when I get to my ultimate goal weight (15 pounds left) I won't be a Nazi about it. I watched Dr Pam Popper's presentation on YouTube (56 min) and she suggests meat, cheese oil can be a treat, like a few times per year like holidays and special occasions. McDougall also has a great presentation available on YouTube. The CNN show from Dr Gupta is also on YouTube.

Its pretty amazing though, I've lost 6 pounds this month, and I'm nearing my summer weight. Usually this time of year I've gained because of lack of physical activity. In the summers I ride bicycles 100 miles per week minimum. The last time I was down to my ideal weight was 10 years ago. Since then I've been about 10-25 pounds over that weight.