Welcome all new! (Introductions)

NicoWoodruff
NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
I see our numbers have risen to 10! Yay!

I thought I would create a thread for introductions.

Me: I'm Nico, I started this group to give/find support after starting a mold/yeast control dietary plan for myself.

I'm also a musician and lucid dream enthusiast. I love to swim and ride my Trikke. I also like doing beaded jewelry projects when I can find the time. I frequent Renaissance Fairs. I live in a small arts/music oriented town in the blue ridge mountains with my family.

Best wishes!
Nico

Replies

• emscat78
    emscat78 Posts: 14 Member
    Hi! I'm new to the group and new to this way of eating. I have started following the Whole Approach diet and using the "Complete Candida Yeast Guidebook" as a resource. It is really interesting how the candida diet plans found on the internet vary. In some ways, the plan I am following is less restrictive (I can have a little goat cheese), but it is still the MOST restrictive diet I have ever followed. I should also mention that I have been a vegetarian for the past 23 years and have no plans of introducing meat now. I think this is making it even more difficult, and it probably a huge reason I have a candida problem in the first place (carb city).

Before starting this diet, I became aware of the increasing cravings for simple carbs and sugars; I would also often binge. I had frequent headaches, have had severe depression for 22 years, terrible skin, horrible daily digestion problems, mood swings, irritability, and (a more recent) difficulty maintaining a healthy weight.

Since starting this diet, my energy and mood have improved, my digestion is NORMAL now (for the first time in many years), and my headaches have eased up! I'm not sure if this is due to food allergies or candida...either way, it's great. The main difficulty I am having is socializing with friends. It's pretty much impossible to go out to eat with friends (and drinks are totally out), so I feel a bit isolated.

I'm looking for some diet buddies that are following a similar diet.

Nico, I am also from the blue ridge mountain region -- just moved back after 12 years in Richmond! It's just so beautiful here!

Emily
  • halhix
    halhix Posts: 48 Member
    Hi Ya'll. I'm down here in Georgia but I'm only an hour away from the southern end of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I have to do all kinds of crazy things for my diet. I tend to stay on the high protein end of things as this has helped me with my energy and weight loss.

Candida can do some crazy things. I wolfed down on Frosted Mini Wheat the other day and my weight popped up 8 lbs in one evening. I know I shouldn't even eat one bite but I have a hard time resisting :noway:

Today, I was able to keep my sugar intake down, drink protein shakes, drink a ton of water and ran five miles. I've dropped 6 lbs. Go figure...
  • emilyrtanner
    emilyrtanner Posts: 22 Member
    Hi there!

My name is Emily and I am 24. I took a ton of antibiotics (four different courses over a four week period) in the first months of the year. I have always eaten too much sugar/carbs in my life but I think the antibiotics tipped the scale, so to speak, and I started experiencing candida symptoms (gas, bloating, serious fatigue, weight gain, fungal infections in my nails). Thankfully some googling and some research put me on the right track pretty quickly and I have been able to keep it under control without going on the strict diet. I have just cut out most all processed foods, and tried to switch over to more protein, fat, and vegetables, but I have been able to still enjoy some banned foods by eating them in moderation and taking lots of probiotics. Its interesting to experiment to see what makes the symptoms flare up! Alcohol is the big one, and wheat gluten, and refined sugar. Fruits, vinegar, non-glutinous grains and dairy don't seem to bug me too much, so long as I don't overdo it.

Anyway, I wanted to lose weight anyway, so I joined MFP at the same time as I started the diet, and I have been losing weight steadily! I suppose I should be grateful for the candida to wake me up to the crap I was putting in my body! I feel so much better and have so much more energy when I eat healthy! And I have been able to find some pretty awesome alternatives to the stuff I used to eat!

Just a suggestion, the paleo diet is similar to the candida diet, and if you're looking for healthy and delicious recipes, I would start there!

-Emily
  • NicoWoodruff
    Welcome Emily! :flowerforyou: And yep most paleo recipes are very easy to adapt and some of them work great as is.
  • ebelliss
    ebelliss Posts: 126 Member
    hey guys! i'm Elisabeth, and i am going to be starting the Candida Diet on Monday to hopefully get control of some of my uncomfortable symptoms (bloating, gas, constipation blah blah blah the usual). I have done the diet once before about 3 years ago and had great success. I did it hardcore for 2 weeks and then maintained a moderate version for a few months and then went back to eating normally (probably not the smartest thing to do). anyway, i originally came to MFP a year ago to lose weight i have gained in college and it has been quite the challenge! nothing seems to work for me except cutting yeast and gluten out of my diet so my doctor and i have to the conclusion that i do in fact have some sort of sensitivity/intolerance. SO, here I am! i am going to enjoy one last weekend of eating normally, and then i am starting full force on this plan! i am nervous, but excited to finally start feeling better, and get my annoying digestive system under control once and for all!
  • NicoWoodruff
    Welcome Elisabeth! It's so nice to see some new faces here. Let us know how your plan is progressing. I always love hearing other people's recipe strategies. :)