How long can you really keep up your exercise regime?

Options
SlinkyNewMe
SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
I am no athlete OK :laugh:

Seriously, I go to the gym because I HAVE to. I don't necessarily "enjoy" it, I "endure" it. I usually do Body Pump three times a week (which I actually DO enjoy) and some cardio afterwards on the treadmill or elliptical - which I loathe! I enjoy strength training and would like to do more, but I don't enjoy the weights section in my gym because of all the sweaty young men lolling around on the machines - which means you have to wait ages to get on anything.

Anyway, supposing I were to increase my cardio, and supposing I were to find a nice gym I could use. I would start going to the gym FIVE or SIX times a week, and I would lose weight right? But can I really sustain five/six times a week gym routine for the rest of my life? What about work, family commitments, other interests? What would happen if I got to my goal weight and went back to my less than athletic ways?

Surely exercising your butt off to lose weight, then stopping will mean that you start to put weight back on, just as much as you would if you start eating a bit more once you have reached your goal weight. So is it really the right thing to do, embark on an unrealistic exercise regime, that is likely to be unsustainable in the long term? Wouldn't it be better to find your level of exercise and eating, that you know you can maintain long term?

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    You have to find things you like to do just so you move a little more. I look at in the long term because as we get older our bodies do less and less of what we want them to do and breakdown more and more. If we care for our bodies, we will have less problems as we get older. Kind of like giving your car regular oil changes to keep the engine running smoothly. In the long run it is so important and that is the way I am thinking about this journey now, not in the short term. The key is finding activities you really like to do so it doesn't feel like work and variety too. When I get back from my vacation in August I am planning on varying my exercise daily so that I have something to look forward to every day. Run one day, walk another, lift weights one day, swim another. The point being not to get stuck and move your body as much as you can. It doesn't even have to be exercise in the traditional sense of the word. I don't ever see myself as some buff 0% body fat kind of gal, but I do see myself constantly improving my physique and constantly moving. Moving is so important so we don't end up in chairs and not able to walk, completely hunched over etc etc. Quality life in my old age is what I am striving for. :)
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I guess exercise is the same as eating in that you have to keep up the good habits once you've reached your goal. You may eat a little more and eat 'bad' stuff now and again but on the whole you'll continue to eat healthy and smaller portions most of the time to avoid the weight creeping back up.
    Same with exercise, we'll need make it a part of our normal life rather than a means to an end (weight loss).

I have the same attitude towards exercise as I do towards food. I've never cut out anything completely with my diet, I've always had cheat days, occasional breaks from the diet, 'bad' stuff that fits into my daily goals etc. because I know I can stick to that long term. Same with exercise: I've don't force myself to exercise every day or do things I don't enjoy at least a little because I know I won't keep it up. For me it has to be something I can see myself doing as part of my normal life whether I have weight to lose or not.

I don't go to the gym, I have done in the past but never renewed my membership after a couple of months so I know that it's not right for me and I'll never stick to it long term because I pretty much hate it.

I walk probably 2-3 times a week, well I walk more than that but actually going out purposely for a long walk, purely for exercise and not just going to the shops or a wander, about 2-3 times a week.
    I go to Zumba once a week
    I use my hand weights at home about 4 times a week (usually when Corrie is on :laugh: ) and when my crunch machine arrives I shall do that at the same time.

I can stick to this long term because I enjoy it (walking and Zumba) or don't hate it (weights).

If I thought I had to go to the gym, work out for ah hour+ every day and never eat what I want I'd still be fat. That's where I've gone wrong in the past, it was all or nothing and nothing won.

Now I think I have a nice balance. I eat well most of the time, I exercise a fair amount doing things I enjoy and I'm keeping the weight off.

I have to add a wee disclaimer that I don't have a great toned body, I still have some flab despite being at my goal weight and I guess that's the price I pay for not going whole hog with the exercise, but for me, it's not realistic. I'm a damn site healthier than I was 5 stones ago. I'm fairly active, I don't look fat, I can buy clothes in regular shops and wear pretty much what I want to without feeling gross (apart from anything showing my belly but hey, we all have something right?) and most importantly I know I can keep it up
  • SlinkyNewMe
    Options
    That sounds spot on to me. Both of you. It is really encouraging @psiren that you got to your goal weight by doing what you enjoy not just slogging away at the gym wondering why you are there!

I am going to renew my gym membership - but I have toyed with the idea of not renewing it. The thing is I do love Body Pump, which I now do three times a week. I love walking, but the weather this year in the UK is so bad, and I have to admit that I am not someone who would walk in all weathers rain or shine - it just would not be enjoyable.

Some people turn to exercise and they may for example, start running, and end up taking that up as their main sport because they love it. If I could see myself in the future doing something every day - it would probably be strength training, which for us 40-something's is a very beneficial exercise anyway.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Renewing your membership is a good idea because it will hold you accountable for going and will make you feel guilty for not going. I don't want to pay for 3 months till I get back from my trip since I am gone an entire month. I will also be renewing my membership as soon as I get back and I will go to a gym in the hotels when there is one available. It is probably better not to go to my gym here in the Summer anyway since there is no air conditioning and people stink haha. My gym also has a pool and I can go swimming for less if I have a gym membership which is great. I cannot wait to get to my goal weight. Hopefully now this IUD is out of me, it will make things a little easier :). Keep on being awesome Lydia!!
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I don't love exercising while I'm doing it. I exercise because of how it makes me feel the rest of the time. When I look back at myself 2 years ago when I had to use my arms to lower myself into a chair because my knees hurt so bad... when I sat around watching my kids instead of joining in with them. Driving with my belly against the steering wheel. : ) Hating going to the beach because it was too hot, to yucky, etc. Wearing clothes that felt like I was wearing a tent.

I did find that I like running.... not so much when I'm doing it but it feels so good afterwards to know I did it! I like the energy/happiness/good feeling that comes with working out. I don't want the negative mood swings, the yucky foggy brain, etc I had before. I used to go home from work and take a nap. I don't remember the last time I took a nap. Too much energy!

I love the lighter clothes, the tank tops, the tankkini (maybe bikini this summer : ) I love having fun at the beach. I love running with my grandkids and being able to keep up with them. I also found out I'm competitive. It helps keep me motivated to see what this body can do. Every time I run a half marathon I'm thinking why am I doing this? Why are people dumb enough to want to run a full marathon... Then I finish the race.. and I'm wondering when I'll be able to run a full marathon. I love the muscles in my legs. I've started swimming again. I'm feeling the muscles in my back now. It's pretty cool. So then I start thinking... I want to feel the muscles in my belly.... What can I do to feel those???.. hula hoop? : ) Belly dance! Hey I'll figure it out!

I try to run every day. I've cut a little on my mileage because of the heat... so I started swimming... Oh yeah... swimming.. Hey! I have a bike!... hmmmmmmmmm run/bike/swim.... ummm How far is a Sprint Triathlon? Maybe ... I need to work on my swimming. I can do the back stroke and the breast stroke... freestyle I choke on the water... I need to fix that. Back to the lake... I'll get it. Just keep trying. Hey I need a new bike. This one sucks. Oh well, it will do for now.... gee... I did too much yesterday... I biked yesterday morning and swam until 5 last night and got up at 4:15 this morning to run. It's HOT. My running club wanted to do 6 miles. I couldn't keep up. TOO HOTTTTTTTTTTT. I walked some. Caught up to them at the end and they were all talking about how slow they were running and I'm thinking... man if that was slow what was I doing??? Hey I did get out there and I'm pooped! So now I have to get my clown costume on and go entertain 45 kids. : )
  • SlinkyNewMe
    Options
    Great reply - thank you. So motivational. It sounds like you found your "thing"! I am kind of similar with strength training, I really like doing it, and love how I feel afterwards. But.... I need to lose fat and you cannot build muscle and lose fat at the same time - one requires more food and less cardio, one requires less food and more cardio!
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    GREAT topic! I have been thinking about this too. My current schedule has allowed me to go to the gym most days, and I have been working with weights to try to get stronger and tone up some. I also have wondered how long I will be able to keep it up and what will happen when I can't. Also, the trainer has advised me to avoid aerobics/cardio/etc which I really miss- I like dancing! However, to my surprise I have been enjoying the yoga classes he recommended, and I was thinking the other day that when I move to a place where it it possible, I would enjoy taking adult ballet classes or something like that. I think the key, as several people have mentioned, is to find stuff we like and do that. Also, I think that maintenance will require *somewhat* less effort than getting from where we are to where we want to be...

And I'm headed off on a two week trip where I know I won't be able to get to the gym - even the hotel one- every day, and I refuse to get stressed about that. I'll just do what I can!!
  • lovemydrmartens
    lovemydrmartens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    my excercise has to be part of life so I don't give up... I am naturally rather lazy... the things I've managed to keep at are Bellydancing (I now teach it too which is good because I have to be there for my class, no excuses! ) and the other thing is walking... I walk approx 20 miles a week, to work and back and with the dog. because it's part of my daily routine I don't even think of it as excercise (until i log it and it lets me have a treat ;-) I know I will keep doing these things because they are embedded in my life... and the dog would explode otherwise... not pretty!
  • SlinkyNewMe
    Options
    LOL! Exploding dogs - not pretty at all. Seems like we are more likely to stick to things if we can find something we feel we want to do - not something we feel we HAVE to do?