5 Days Post-Op and a couple of questions

Options
crosa527
crosa527 Posts: 35 Member
Hi All,

I was grateful to see that there was a group out here specific to those of us who chose surgery as a tool. I had sleeve surgery on June 12th and am feeling really well, all things considered. I have not told many people what I had done. While my surgeon was in there he also found a hiatal hernia and fixed that too, so I'm telling most that I had hernia surgery.

I have a lot of faith and, without going into a rather long story, got a sign from God that I was meant to do this. I know that He had a hand in it because the first infomational meeting I attended was April 29, 2012 and the surgery was done on June 12, 2012... only about 6 weeks to get in all those doctor visits!

Through this process, I have been blessed with very good health, considering I had a BMI of 47. But, they did find that hernia, and also that I have sleep apnea.

I got the CPAP machine the night before surgery and am having a really hard time wearing it now that I am home. I'm hoping that I'll be feeling more up to it, but it is so darn uncomfortable and I am a side sleeper, which pushes the mask off my face...

Anyhow, I wanted to introduce myself to the group. I lost 13 pounds pre-op, and 5 more since. I would love to be MFP 'Friends' with anyone, just send a request, and would love to hear about what life is like post-op.

Oh, I also have a wedding to go to on June 30th (18 days post-op) anyone think I might be able to eat something? Mashed potatoes, perhaps?

Christine

Replies

• puttingmyselfoutthere
    puttingmyselfoutthere Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    eat potatoes as little as possible.. lots of starch. They are my last resort. Do you know what the menu will be? Find out what it is and make adjustments. If they serve lasagna you can eat all but the noodles... If you are on pureed foods, you could always bring some string cheese with you.Thats my pick-me-up and adds protein.

Best bet is to plan ahead or eat before you go.

Good luck dear. I am here if you need me :D
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Hi! So glad to hear all is well after your surgery. I had VSG surgery on November 9, 2011, and am down 93 pounds so far.
    As far as what to eat at 18 days post-op, that depends on your surgeon. Some surgeons have you on liquids longer than others and then some proceed more quickly. I would refer to my manual that you should have gotten from your surgeon and/or nutritionist.
    At 18 days, I was on mushies/pureed so I could eat cottage cheese, yogurt, mashed potatoes, chicken or tuna salad (meat and mayo only), cream and regular soups, refried beans with cheese, soft cooked veggies (mashable with fork). I know at Thanksgiving (15 days post-op), I ate a little broccoli rice casserole and some turkey (I didn't puree it, just chewed it very throughly) dipped in a little ranch dressing.
    So depending on your doctors orders, you might be ok to eat chicken dipped in sauce or dressing for lube, mashed potatoes and green beans???Just be sure to chew, chew, chew. Also, if you know what they are serving as far as meat and it is chicken I would try it at home before hand just to make sure it will be ok as a wedding isn't somewhere you want to get sick if it isn't.
    Feel free to add me as a friend, too.
    Best of luck with your journey!
  • starrgazerlily
    starrgazerlily Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would plan on not being able to eat anything there. Take a RTD protein shake with you. You can go to the bar and ask for a cup of ice. If anyone ask you can tell the its a mudslide.

I had my husbands annual copmany party right around that same time frame and aisde from mashed potatoes there wasn't a thing I could eat. It sucked but I was there to support my husband. I had my protein drink in and and just sipped away.
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    Besides taking a shake, I'd take instant broth/soup. I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting some hot water in a coffee cup.

Be sure to check out the VSGers and Sleeve'ers groups too.
  • Moonladee
    Moonladee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am 4 weeks post-op.. It's a, one day at a time thing.. Don't stress about the not eating.. or try not too.. I have had to face a few of these things too. protein shake.. and broth. Sorry hun. PM me if you want to talk.

Tina
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had sleeve surgery June 11th. I also had a hital hernia they found once in there a repaired getting fluids down post was harder for me so I didn't get out the hospital till June 15th and didn't get to start 1 oz of protein shake till June 18th and 7 oz of clear liquids an hour.
    I would plan to not be able to eat anything at the wedding, either drink or eat what you allowed at home before or take a shake with you and then sip on water during the reception.
    Good luck!
  • crosa527
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I, unfortunately, had mixed signals from my surgeon & staff. He verbally told me protein shakes right out of the hospital, but the discharge nurse said no. Then she gave me two different diets to follow!!! One was your clear liquids for the first week, shakes for the second and soft foods on the third. The other had shakes on the first week and soft foods on the second ?! I called the office and the office nurse also said to go with the first, more conservative diet, but I did lodge a complaint that they should get their diets straight!

I have kind of done my own thing a bit. I did clear the first week, then this week I have added the shakes and a tiny bit of soft food. Everything has been hunky dorie do far.
  • pavshop
    pavshop Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had GBS in February. I have travel constantly since surgery for a variety of business and personal events. It can be done. Don't make food the focal point of your events. Focus on the people and just use food to feed your body. The RTD protein drink is a great idea. I too, was guided to avoid starchy foods. Very few people knew about my surgery and NOBODY noticed what I was and wasn't eating. You can accomplish a lot by moving food around on your plate.

I did overeat at one event and have to go outside and 'toss my cookies' in the bushes. Funny now, not so much then.
  • CruellaClo
    CruellaClo Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had asked someone if frozen yogurt was ok about 6 weeks after my surgery. He said something that really stuck with me. "Yes you can eat it... but you just went through a drastic surgery for your health and weight goals... why have empty calories? "

So I am going to tough love on you. YES you can eat potatoes, ice cream and anything soft .... but make sure everything you put in your mouth brings something healthy to the table. Instead of mashed potatoes how about mashed cauliflower... it saved me. Add some unflavored protein powder and you have a powerhouse of nutrition.

Just saying.... think about why you had surgery... then think about what you are going to eat.

I am about 12 weeks post surgery and down about 55 (I think a little more but not weighing in yet).
    At this point I could eat just about anything.. maybe less but I can eat any fatty, high calories food I want .....but I have a goal and it's not worth it to me anymore to give myself permission to eat things I know I shouldn't.

Be strong and be smart. I am going to go find the mashed cauliflower recipe for you.
  • CruellaClo
    CruellaClo Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I sent you the mashed Cauliflower recipe but decided to post it here in case anyone else wanted.

Mashed cauliflower tastes similar to mashed potatoes but with fewer carbs. Top with chopped herbs and grated cheese if you like.
    Ingredients

1 medium head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into small florets (about 6 to 7 cups)
    1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
    Method

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower and cook until very tender, about 10 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid and then drain well and transfer cauliflower to a food processor. Add oil and reserved water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and puree until smooth. (Or, mash cauliflower with a potato masher). Season with salt and pepper and serve.
    Nutrition

Per serving: 110 calories (80 from fat), 9g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 8g total carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 3g protein
  • crosa527
    Options
    Thank you so much. Wow, I cannot believe how awesome the support is out here. I love you guys!

You are right, why put something empty into my body when I just went through major surgery to help reach my goals?!

I told the groom to order me the veggie meal, I think it is layered vegetables? They weren't really sure, but I do plan on bringing a protein shake and an applesauce.

Guess what?! I had been a 22/24 and I tried on the size 18 dress I bought for this wedding and it was too big :love: !

I found another dress in the back of my major closet clean out last night that I have not worn since 2004 and it fit! Just a simple black dress, so I'm wearing that one instead. Unfortunately I took the tags off the other dress and can't return it, don't have the receipt either, but I may put it up on ebay or something. Too exciting.