Just a thought...others opinions appreciated

Options
burbanum
burbanum Posts: 38 Member
will it hurt your body to once every couple weeks throw in a lower cal day. for example if I normally Eat 2000 calories
but then once in a while throw in a 1400 calorie day since my body would be used to getting 2000 would it keep burning
High since it would be used to more as long as I don't do that often?

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    "hurt"? Hmmm I guess it depends on the reasoning behind it. There's more than our metabolism at stake.

A day where you sleep too much, illness or locked in a tiny room with no minibar- I would say ok, Life happens.

"Too busy to eat", "I ate too much yesterday" and "I haven't worked out enough to earn this food" are danger areas.
  • burbanum
    Options
    I haven't done this but wondered truly as a way to keep body burning and get a slight extra
    Burn a once or twice a month for a day . Not used as a punishment though.
    More was wondering if there is any benefit to it. Not interested in hurting my body
    done enough stupid dieting for my life. Totally in em2wl for life even if all
    I do is maintain.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I haven't done this but wondered truly as a way to keep body burning and get a slight extra
    Burn a once or twice a month for a day . Not used as a punishment though.
    More was wondering if there is any benefit to it. Not interested in hurting my body
    done enough stupid dieting for my life. Totally in em2wl for life even if all
    I do is maintain.

"Extra burn" - you won't need it. I haven't had much coffee this morning so I hope it makes sense. lol

Your body keeps burning by eating- it stops burning when we stop feeding it.
  • trosewine
    trosewine Posts: 88
    Options
    I agree with Gemi, but here's another thought. What if you went the other way and ate at TDEE every once in a while instead of severe cutting? Can you get your head around why that is essentially the same as what you are suggesting but actually healthier?

This way of eating is a life long change and doing things to speed up the process will probably only hurt you in the long run. Slow down and take care of yourself and you will get to the place you want to be.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I agree with Gemi, but here's another thought. What if you went the other way and ate at TDEE every once in a while instead of severe cutting?

I sort of do this. I don't log on weekends anymore, and I have just been eating whatever I feel like, not worrying about calories!! I mean, because I'm insane and have been on MFP too long those thoughts are hard to shut out, but you know what I mean... and I definitely go above my cut value. Not necessarily above TDEE, but definitely not at 15% cut.

So far it hasn't resulted in sabotage, as far as I can tell! It's a good mental break.

But to answer the original question-- I agree that if it happens, by whim of the world that you calories aren't hit that day, it's going to be fine. But if you're *intentionally* having a low day, I think that defeats the purpose of having one calorie goal that you stick to. The point is to be consistent.
  • burbanum
    Options
    Thanks everyone. i will try it the other way around. I have defintely enjoyed eating more :):) I am committed to this too, but every once in awhile after a day at TDEE or a little too much food i feel like man i hope i am not going to gain a lot! SIlly I know, but honest :) appreciate all the thoughts and cares...EM2WL is a great support system!