Am I doing the right thing? So tired:(

Options
tashaa1992
tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
I have only been doing EMTWL for a few days but right from the start, my energy levels didn't increase. Usually I'm tired, but I'm never as tired as I am now. Everything feels like a chore, and it really hurts when I have to just walk upstairs. I do a thirty minute workout every morning before work, but I haven't had the energy to put all my effort into it this last week, which is unlike me. I dread waking up in the mornings because I don't like exercising anymore:/
I'm worried because I need the energy for my job as I work in childcare.

Here's what I'd typically eat in a day:

Breakfast-Porridge made with milk and a black tea.
Snack-Banana.
Lunch-Quorn sandwich(granary bread), carrot sticks, raisins and a black tea.
Snack-Two clemintines.
Snack-A handful of almonds and raisins.
Dinner-Quorn and vegetables, an apple and a black tea.
Snack-A yoghurt.
Typically taking in 1,800-2,050 calories a day( well have been since monday).

I drink around five bottles of water, do I need to up it?
I sleep for eight hours a night, but I'm still waking up more tired than usual.

What am I doing wrong? Any advice would be great, thank you:)

Replies

• littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Giving your body the fuel it needs to function and do the things you want it to do is always a step in the right direction. However, i've been doing the same thing since early March and it is definately a lot to get used to, depending on how many cals your body is used to getting on a regular basis. I started out at 1000 and sometimes below. Now i'm giving it 1800 per day and just upped it again to almost maintenance which is 2000. My body has gone through a LOT of adjustments since the beginning. Including, a lot of physical discomfort. For example bloating, extreme tiredness where I didn't even want to get out of bed. A few days is not enough to measure whether you're doing the right thing or not, especially since you most liketly are. If your body is not used to getting enough food, it's got to go through a LOT of adjustments over the next few months, never mind days. It's gonna hold onto a lot of everything till it trusts you're not gonna cut off the supply. Hang in there and keep going. If you want a healthy body, it's definately the right way to go.

you should read this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience it's very informative. It's a longgg process and takes around 8 weeks. Don't give up. Read the group posts. There's a lot of good people in there goiing through or have gone through the same thing and posted about it :flowerforyou:
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i am no expert and this may not even be true, but looking at what you just wrote it looks like at least 80% carbs... i eat about 40%c/40%pro/40%fat.... some people find carbs give them energy and some people find they function better on higher fats... maybe play around with your macros?
  • nyspotlight
    nyspotlight Posts: 124
    Options
    It could be all the quorn. I have recently read some creepy things about the stuff, and some people (scientists) even say the protein is not exactly accessible for your body. You might try using some seitan-based stuff. Not sure if you're in the states, but we have "field roast" which is awesome. It's not frozen - it's near the tofu.

Or you could just have your numbers wrong for what you need. Maybe you do need a little more.

Usually if you post all stats with exercise/ activity people give good pointers.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Could just be all the energy your body is using to digest food it's not used to receiving. You may have to just give it some more time. I only upped my calories to TDEE for 2 weeks but in that time there were a few days I just wanted to sleep all day long.
  • cazsyl
    cazsyl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The tiredness will pass in a couple of weeks - that was what i found anyway.

Stick with it because once it does you'll feel much better and have far more energy than before.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Based on what your wrote as your daily food, you arent getting in enough protein, which can definitely make you feel sluggish and tired.
    Eat some meat, or beans or eggs, or dairy or more nuts and such to get good protein in.

For some people it takes some time for their body to adjust. you are only a few days in. There might be other factors in your life that might be making you tired as well..
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Based on what your wrote as your daily food, you arent getting in enough protein, which can definitely make you feel sluggish and tired.
    Eat some meat, or beans or eggs, or dairy or more nuts and such to get good protein in.

For some people it takes some time for their body to adjust. you are only a few days in. There might be other factors in your life that might be making you tired as well..

I agree. Protein is the most important one. Try to hit your protein goals first. Also read the stickies about patterns that emerge when upping calories. You will see it will get better. A lot of us were extremely tired for some time during the process. Your body needs to adjust to the new circumstances.
  • tashaa1992
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses and I am going to stick this out for a further eight weeks, at least. I am also going to take on board the advice given about my diary, and I will decrease my carbs and up my protein.
    I'm vegetarian and that's why I eat quorn. I also don't like eggs or cheese lol. I realised I may be more tired because I have stopped drinking my diet pepsi.

Also, this is probably a really dumb question but I'm going to ask anyway lol, would only working out on saturday and sunday(two hours a day) as opposed to everyday(thirty minutes a day), make any difference to my goals? Why I'm asking is because I have m.e, and I'm more tired than a 'normal' person and if I'm over tired I suffer with morning sickness, and working out everyday means I have to get up at five as I get home late from work and leave early, so working out only on the weekends should help me alot more.
    I still have it in my head that I want to lose weight, because it's the only way to create that defintion to your body I think? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm 20, 5ft, and 99lbs now. If I can maintain this weight, but lose bodyfat and tone up, then that's what I want to do, but if I can't, then the most I want to lose is 5-10lbs at most.
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses and I am going to stick this out for a further eight weeks, at least. I am also going to take on board the advice given about my diary, and I will decrease my carbs and up my protein.
    I'm vegetarian and that's why I eat quorn. I also don't like eggs or cheese lol. I realised I may be more tired because I have stopped drinking my diet pepsi.

Also, this is probably a really dumb question but I'm going to ask anyway lol, would only working out on saturday and sunday(two hours a day) as opposed to everyday(thirty minutes a day), make any difference to my goals? Why I'm asking is because I have m.e, and I'm more tired than a 'normal' person and if I'm over tired I suffer with morning sickness, and working out everyday means I have to get up at five as I get home late from work and leave early, so working out only on the weekends should help me alot more.
    I still have it in my head that I want to lose weight, because it's the only way to create that defintion to your body I think? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm 20, 5ft, and 99lbs now. If I can maintain this weight, but lose bodyfat and tone up, then that's what I want to do, but if I can't, then the most I want to lose is 5-10lbs at most.

Okay first of all - working out 2 hours at a time has no benefits at all if you want fat loss. The body can only burn so much fat in a day and in one workout. 45 -60min is perfect actually. Also if you can do weight lifting 3 times a week, rest days in between it will be perfect for you!! You dont need cardio even, 20min on rest days would be great for cardiovascular health though.
    Secondly - hunny.... you are 99lbs, for 5ft you are at ideal weight already! So, lifting weights will give you amazing definition in your already goal weight body and, bonus, you can build you some awesome looking female muscle! :bigsmile:
    Losing more weight will not give you that definition!!

Try doing NROLFW three days a week and you will be amazed at your sexy body transformation. :wink:

Edited to say that you need lots of protein yes. Change your macros to 40% Carbs, 30% Protein, 30% Fat. Believe it or not, good healthy fats makes you lose body fat. And of course your hair, nails and skin will thank you too.
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    ^^^agree with Karin. Eat a surplus with plenty of protein, and lift heavy. Your body will thank you!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Just at a glance I would add waaaaaaay more protein! I was a vegetarian for 5 years (eons ago) and I wondered why I always felt wiped out...... huge change now that I eat meat. I don't regret the change, not even a TINY bit.
  • tashaa1992
    Options

Okay first of all - working out 2 hours at a time has no benefits at all if you want fat loss. The body can only burn so much fat in a day and in one workout. 45 -60min is perfect actually. Also if you can do weight lifting 3 times a week, rest days in between it will be perfect for you!! You dont need cardio even, 20min on rest days would be great for cardiovascular health though.
    Secondly - hunny.... you are 99lbs, for 5ft you are at ideal weight already! So, lifting weights will give you amazing definition in your already goal weight body and, bonus, you can build you some awesome looking female muscle! :bigsmile:

Try doing NROLFW three days a week and you will be amazed at your sexy body transformation. :wink:

Edited to say that you need lots of protein yes. Change your macros to 40% Carbs, 30% Protein, 30% Fat. Believe it or not, good healthy fats makes you lose body fat. And of course your hair, nails and skin will thank you too.
    What would I need to get started with lifting? I personally prefer to do my workouts at home, I feel too self conscious at the gym.
    Also, would I do 45-60 minutes of strength training x3 days a week, then 20 minutes of cardio on my rest days? Just trying to clear up my confusion:)
    This is actually my highest weight:/ I'm in recovery from purging type anorexia and I reached this weight in hospital, but I just feel it's unacceptable. I look ten times bigger, would that change if I started strength training or could you only 'look smaller' through losing the weight?

I'm not vegetarian for environmental reasons, I just have a phobia of meat, chicken and fish. But maybe I need to just get a grip and overcome them, I mean if it will boost my protein levels then I think it's the best idea:) Thank you:)
  • tashaa1992
    Options

What would I need to get started with lifting? I personally prefer to do my workouts at home, I feel too self conscious at the gym.
    Also, would I do 45-60 minutes of strength training x3 days a week, then 20 minutes of cardio on my rest days? Just trying to clear up my confusion:)
    This is actually my highest weight:/ I'm in recovery from purging type anorexia and I reached this weight in hospital, but I just feel it's unacceptable. I look ten times bigger, would that change if I started strength training or could you only 'look smaller' through losing the weight?

I'm not vegetarian for environmental reasons, I just have a phobia of meat, chicken and fish. But maybe I need to just get a grip and overcome them, I mean if it will boost my protein levels then I think it's the best idea:) Thank you:)
    Also, I have a question about tdee and the 20% and 15% cut, would I stick with the 15% cut I have been at this week, increase the cut or lower it, if I wanted to maintain this weight but wanted to start strength training to create some definition to my body?
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options
    Yes, 3 x a week weight training, 45min-60min. Then cardio if you really want to, 20 min, 2x week. :-)

And you wont eat at any deficit. Eat at TDEE. No cut.
    When you get hooked (which is very easy, hehe) and u start seeing amazing changes in ure body, you can start eating 10% over tdee...thereby building some sexy muscles!!

Im sorry u had to go through and still going through the sadness of an eating disorder...I pray you heal fully. :flowerforyou:
    Maybe, just maybe, weight lifting can help u with that and get you hooked for life. :smile:
    I hope you can make a plan with the protein, it will be greatly beneficial.
    Good luck hun.
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    From a nursing perspective, good for you that you have allowed yourself to finally gain a little weight. You should be extremely proud of yourself, young lady! However, I hear you saying some things that make me wonder whether you still need to continue some sessions of therapy to keep helping yourself heal fully. Saying how uncomfortable you are with your increased size, etc. Believe me when I say that I speak from experience and know exactly where you are coming from!:heart:

You have come a LONG WAY. I just want you to make sure you are continuing treatment. This disorder is not an easy thing to tackle once and for all. It rears its ugly head from time to time, as I'm sure you know.

I say you shoudl eat your full TDEE and begin lifting weights 3x/week. Don't focus on the length of time each workouot, just follow the recommendations of the program you choose. You definitely need to increase your protein so find a 100% whey protein isolate powder if meat isn't doable right now.

Remember, that with EDs your muscle mass has really been decreased. So protein is a MUST for you.

ALWAYS remember that you are the ONLY one just like you in this world! You are unique and WONDERFUL just for being YOU!!:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • tashaa1992
    Options
    Yes, 3 x a week weight training, 45min-60min. Then cardio if you really want to, 20 min, 2x week. :-)

And you wont eat at any deficit. Eat at TDEE. No cut.
    When you get hooked (which is very easy, hehe) and u start seeing amazing changes in ure body, you can start eating 10% over tdee...thereby building some sexy muscles!!

Im sorry u had to go through and still going through the sadness of an eating disorder...I pray you heal fully. :flowerforyou:
    Maybe, just maybe, weight lifting can help u with that and get you hooked for life. :smile:
    I hope you can make a plan with the protein, it will be greatly beneficial.
    Good luck hun.
    Could I do 20 minutes 4x a week of cardio, then 3x of strength training?
    Where would my activity level now stand(in regards to choosing an activity level on the calculator)? And do you know which is the best site, I have previously used fat2fit.
    I haven't got any home equipment yet, what could I do in the meantime? Should I stick with my old routine until I am able to get some equipment?
    Aww thanks:) But to be honest, I'm actually glad I went through it, I believe it has made me the person I am:)
    Thank you for all your help:) xxx
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options
    Well u see if u have a deskjob or you are in general not very active during the day, then yes 20 min cardio 4 times a week would be good. But if u are already quite active daily like walk a lot, or on ure feet a lot then u dont need all the extra cardio.
    Something worth remembering is that too much cardio is counteractive towards weight lifting. It steals the fuel and nutrients ure muscles need for recovery, strenght increase and growth.
    Fattofit is great. So you will put your current weight as goal weight then and eat the number it gives you under Moderate, 3-5 hours per day.

If you dont already have it, Id strongly recommend getting the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. Its an awesome program and there is a great group on MFP doing it that gives lots of support and advice. There are some who do it at home too, you will get some good tips etc there.

Your welcome! :happy: :flowerforyou:

Edit: to say I see u work in child care...thats a active job right there! So u really dont need extra cardio, strenght training would change ure body in a way u will love. Only if u really want to, then do cardio, but not much.
  • tashaa1992
    Options
    Well u see if u have a deskjob or you are in general not very active during the day, then yes 20 min cardio 4 times a week would be good. But if u are already quite active daily like walk a lot, or on ure feet a lot then u dont need all the extra cardio.
    Something worth remembering is that too much cardio is counteractive towards weight lifting. It steals the fuel and nutrients ure muscles need for recovery, strenght increase and growth.
    Fattofit is great. So you will put your current weight as goal weight then and eat the number it gives you under Moderate, 3-5 hours per day.

If you dont already have it, Id strongly recommend getting the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. Its an awesome program and there is a great group on MFP doing it that gives lots of support and advice. There are some who do it at home too, you will get some good tips etc there.

Edit: to say I see u work in child care...thats a active job right there! So u really dont need extra cardio, strenght training would change ure body in a way u will love. Only if u really want to, then do cardio, but not much.
    Oh thank you, I'm going to look into buying that book:) Also, I have been looking at weight training equipment but I'm clueless as to what I need. I know I need dumbells, but there are so many, how do you know which one is the right set for you?
    That's the thing about my job, when we're busy we're really busy, like this past week especially we have been rushed off our feet, I've been on my feet all of my ten hour shift, but there are times when we are quiet so we don't need to rush around as much, would that make any difference to my activity level?

I seriously ask too many questions haha, I'm going to add you because you're really nice:) Thank you beautiful:) xxx
  • kels136
    kels136 Posts: 55
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Hi Hunni,

The comment you posted above tells me something...it tells me something because I was in a crazy restriction, binge, purge, restriction, binge, purge cycle for years until I went to the Drs in 2010. When I went to the Drs I really wanted to get better because I didn't want food or a number on a scale to control my life anymore but the weird thing was I still wanted to be a certain weight. So I started swimming for 1 hour 4-5 times a week and still only eating 1200 calories a day (I was used to eating only 500-1000). I thought that was "getting better" but it wasn't I was in denial because every time I jumped on the scale the number that appeared before me controlled me and my mood for the day. I started restricting again in late 2010 when I gained a little "too much" weight for my liking. Then in 2011 I broke down to my mum and I said right thats it no more calorie counting, no more weighing I want to be like everyone else. I still wanted to be slim but it was more about getting healthy and fit. I only joined this group a month ago and have been on the reset because that is what I have been advised to do. Please don't base your selfworth on a number...numbers are awful things!! You need to concentrate on getting healthy and I don't want to preach but I've been there I know what gaining weight that is "unwanted" feels like but honestly when you let go of the numbers you will feel so liberated that you wont care about a few pounds and once you have done a reset to get your metabolism back on track and your body trusting you again you can start to lose but the right way, not through starvation :) All the points everyone in this thread have made I feel are correct, carbs dont give me energy they make me sluggish so I only eat them in the morning really.

If you want to add me as a friend feel free. I'm not trying to have a go I just want you to be the best person you can be and not be controlled by numbers like I was.

Kels xx
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options

Oh thank you, I'm going to look into buying that book:) Also, I have been looking at weight training equipment but I'm clueless as to what I need. I know I need dumbells, but there are so many, how do you know which one is the right set for you?
    That's the thing about my job, when we're busy we're really busy, like this past week especially we have been rushed off our feet, I've been on my feet all of my ten hour shift, but there are times when we are quiet so we don't need to rush around as much, would that make any difference to my activity level?

I seriously ask too many questions haha, I'm going to add you because you're really nice:) Thank you beautiful:) xxx

Not sure about weights for home cause ypu need to lift heavier and heavier...so a gym would be preferable actually. :ohwell:

No, Id keep the activity level standard no matter the difference in days as they will balance each other out. But if you add even more activity to your days/ week, you would go over to Very Active, so beware of that or be wiling to eat even more.
    :wink: