Favorite Drills

Options
Whirlwendy74
Whirlwendy74 Posts: 3 Member
I'm so excited to hear from rollergirls from different leagues. I'd love to hear what you guys do as drills and how many calories you think you're burning when you do them!

Replies

• thegreengoth
    thegreengoth Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    No idea how many calories, for this one, but one of my favorites that I think all skaters (especially newer ones) benefit from is one involving starting while laying on your stomach and at the whistle jump up as fast as you can and sprint-skate 3 laps. It helps get them in the habit of getting up quickly and get back with the pack.
    Also, I will always stand by running up and down stairs sideways to help with cross overs.
  • IrateBeth
    IrateBeth Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    We just started a new endurance drill.

*30/60/90*
    Split into 2 lines or 2 packs.
    At the whistle, pack/line 1 sprints for 30 seconds while the others skate the outside of the track. At the next whistle, switch.
    At the next it is a 60 second sprint And then a 90 second.
    Back down... 90, 60, 30, done.

It's good because it gets me used to bursts (and I like it better than 75 laps in 12 minutes).
  • redhotredneck
    redhotredneck Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    For the refs in our league, our standard drill is pushcarts. We have all the refs in one line and the person at the back pushes the whole line for a set amount of laps, then they rotate to the front of the line and the next person at the back takes over the pushing. We usually do a pattern of 1 lap, 2 laps, 3 laps, 2 laps, 1 lap. So everyone pushes for 1 lap, then everyone pushes for 2 laps straight, etc. The hardest thing is to be the ones who are being pushed, NOT the pusher. The skaters in the line must stay in derby stance the whole time that the line is being pushed. Your legs will burn more from the sustained squat than the pushing. :) This drill is good for building endrance - the major thing a ref needs! :)

edit for clarification.
  • TheDotz
    TheDotz Posts: 12
    Options
    This is a ridiculous drill! I hate it while I'm doing it, but after practice, it always feels good to have worked my *kitten* off!
  • TheDotz
    TheDotz Posts: 12
    Options
    My favorite drill is a "lap the pack" drill that our mens team does (they're kind enough to let the ladies come to their practices!). You line up all the skaters slowest to fastest, and then someone running the drill will call out a skater or two to "lap the pack" and you have to sprint around the track and get back to your spot in line. Its great for endurance!
  • jodimitchell
    jodimitchell Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I <3 hitting drills! If i get to practice hits ... Its a good practice. :)

With the new rules what drills are your teams focusing on?
  • kellyvonlunen
    Options
    My league (Dead Girl Derby) plays by the MADE rule set, so we don't have the major rules changes that WFTDA does right now. We already have no minors and one jammer whistle. I'm not sure how that really affects how we run practice, though. Endurance, agility and form are always key.
  • MeanieD
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with any and all lateral drills. I love the drill where I'm paired with another girl and the jammer approaches at medium speed and we have to box her out. It helps me practice my timing as well as hitting. I hate being the jammer in that situation, but it's not too bad. I HATE the power leaps we take from lane 4 to (supposedly) lane 1.
  • violet_sphinx
    violet_sphinx Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    No idea how many calories, for this one, but one of my favorites that I think all skaters (especially newer ones) benefit from is one involving starting while laying on your stomach and at the whistle jump up as fast as you can and sprint-skate 3 laps. It helps get them in the habit of getting up quickly and get back with the pack.

Ooo, that sound tough but awesome! I'm definitely going to suggest this to my league! Do you repeat it a few times or anything?
  • IrateBeth
    IrateBeth Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    So, we altered the 25 in 5.

Five minutes sprinting with random whistle blasts (no less than 10).
    *On the whistle blast you fall into a 4 point 'fall' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbmN-fokN9g Except we go all the way down onto the stomach for a tougher workout).
    *Get up as fast as you can and sprint!

This is grueling and a great endurance drill.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    The whirlpool.
    Getting everyone into 1 huge pack and the inside line continues to filter up to the front, across the front and back down the outside the whole time. Creating lines at the front, praticing waterfalling in a big group.
    Then add a jammer!

Also with the new rule changes we've been practicing a lot of scrum starts and breaking walls. Backwards blocking and running on toe stops.

Last night at scrimmage not only did we start at the pivot line... WE HAD THE PIVOT AND HER TOE ON THE LINE! It was amazing and totally gave them the advantage it should have. We had to get behind her so when we went to bolt to create pack speed she was in front and stopped it. She was also able to assist another player up the front at the same time to acheive it.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    oh and I have a love hate for pyramid drills of any kind.
    We do partners of 1-5 where you skate one lap each and then two laps... all the way up to 5 and back down. While you are off the track you are doing sit ups or whatever.
    Squat laps. 1 lap squat skating, 1 lap rest. 2 laps squat skating 2 lap rest. Up to 5 with a two lap rest and back down.
    Sprint squat laps. Sprint for one and do active squats for one till youve reached 50 squats.
  • twilightlvr79
    twilightlvr79 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Since I am only in my second month of fresh meat and I am still working on basic skills I don't have a whole lot of drills to base this on but so far I would have to say I really like the suicides. It really helped me build the confidence I needed to do my tomahawks which I was having trouble with before. The sevens drill was hard but I liked it too eventhough my back was killing me afterwards.
  • juless231
    juless231 Posts: 2
    Options
    We have a newer one I've really enjoyed doing.
    The skaters are divided into 4 groups, one group in each corner of the track (lined up on the outside). One group are jammers, next two groups are opposing blockers, last group are blockers on same team as the jammer. One jammer starts on the track, when they hit corner #2, a blocker comes on and blocks her, they reach corner #3 and a second blocker comes on to stop the jammer. When they hit corner #4, a third blocker joins in but is trying to help the jammer get through. When that's over you head to the next corner and the next jammer in lines starts it again.
    Hope that made sense? A bit hard to put into writing! I love this as it's great to practice all the different positions!
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Love any kind of snake drill! Especially the ones where we partner up and hit/brace as we weave through the line.
  • blunder_bolt
    blunder_bolt Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For Warmup I love doing Circle of pain, good core workout and good bonding excercise (you can be as mean or as lenient as you want) particularly if Ive got a cardio workout before practice starts