Help! Music: Do or Don't for Race Day?

Options
I am running my first half in exactly 3 days (I know, right?!) I think that music will be permitted. It is a small race and I have not seen any communications forbidding music. I use my headphones for all of my training runs. The music is definitely encouraging. However, alot of people don't recommend using it on race day. Since it is a smaller race, there may not be a whole lot of crowd noise to keep me going. It is appealing to not have to wear my armband/phone (which I use as my player) but I'm afraid the lack of tempo will bother me. Advice? What should I do?

Replies

• skinny4baby2
    Options
    Sorry to be of no help, but I have wondered this very same thing and have a similar race coming up in 3ish weeks. So I'm anxious to see what others have to say!
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I have used my music in all my races. No one has told me I can't and I have never gotten lost or gone off course because of it. But I make sure I can still here crowd noise through the earphones.
  • StrongerByTheMiles
    Options
    sarahisarunner:feel free to follow on this thread and hopefully we will both get answers! I will let you know what I decide and how it goes.MMK 137: Thanks. I may do 1 earbud in/1 out or something. I have ran with friends a couple of times and not used music and I'm fine. I also did my 5K without and was fine. However 3.1 compared to 13.1 is a big difference! I guess once I arrirve on race day I should also get a feel for what the crowd and crowd noise will look like?
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    For large races with a lot of participants (or if I'm running with a friend), I don't bother with music. I find it fun to listen to the snippets of conversations when I pass people or they pass me. Plus, I want to be able to hear if people are coming up behind me so I make sure I'm not in the way if they would like to pass.

For smaller races with a few participants, then I will take my music, but will do the one ear bud in / one ear bud out, so I'm still able to listen for other runners, hear the volunteers, traffic, etc.

If there is nothing in the information on the race discouraging a listening device, then go ahead and take it with you.

And good luck on the race! I bet you are going to do awesome!! :drinker:
  • sakamanojr
    sakamanojr Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I run without music as I believe it could be a SAFETY issue for me. I may not hear someone coming or more importantly may not hear something dangerous around me that I do not see. Even if it affects your rhythym I recommend trying to relax without the music, in my opinion.
  • enchantedeskape
    Options
    I've done both. I'm trying to decide on my half this Nov if I'm going to tote music or not. They will allow it, but they do not recommend it for safety reasons. Part of my course will not be completely closed off (running across a bridge, etc). If I do wear my buds, it will be in one ear only. And I won't have it blaring in the one ear I do use.

Since I'm a slower runner, I usually hug the right side of the path anyway, to allow others to pass me easily if they need to.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I use music during my training runs, as well, but have never used it during a race. There's enough going on that I haven't needed the distraction and there's always another runner to catch to keep my tempo up. That said, if you're worried about, and there's no restriction against it, bring it with you and decide during the race if you need it or not.

I use my phone for music while training and keep it in a belt pouch. I always bring it on race day, too, but not the headphones. If I had to use an armband then not having to wear it would be a big factor for me, too, and if that were the case I know I wouldn't bother with it.
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I stopped using music on my longer runs because I wanted to focus on my pace and breathing. It's funny how a faster song would throw off my pace. As for using music on race day, I never have...even when I was running 10ks. The crowd during my 1/2 was a great distraction. I told my friend after the race that it was easier than any of my training runs. I think the crowd had a lot to do with it. My 2 cents would be to lose the earbuds and enjoy the crowd and other runners.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    I run without music as I believe it could be a SAFETY issue for me. I may not hear someone coming or more importantly may not hear something dangerous around me that I do not see. Even if it affects your rhythym I recommend trying to relax without the music, in my opinion.

What he said, I've come to the same conclusion.

I stopped listening to music entirely when I run about 2 months ago, and havent looked back. I'm shocked at how much I'm enjoying it.
  • StrongerByTheMiles
    Options
    I appreciate all of the feedback! It reallys is giving me alot to think about. I still have not decided what to do. If it were a larger race, I would not be concerned. I'm just afraid that parts will be very quiet. I think I will take my music and see what it looks like. I can leave my stuff w/ my husband before the start if I decide against it. If it looks like there is enough excitement, I will go without. That is what I am hoping for! Since it is mostly a train race, it should feel alot like my training runs (which is comforting), but that makes me think I may want it!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I love having music when I run. When I'm on a road alone, I always just put my iPhone on speaker. For races or the gym, I bought a paid of bluetooth headphones so I don't need to worry about annoying cords in my way. Especially for longer runs, I can stick my phone in my water belt, and not have to worry about anything being in my way.
  • skinny4baby2
    Options
    I know that most of my run will be dead silent (hurrah for rural Utah), so I'm thinking I'll bring my iPod but feel free to turn it off if needed. Thanks for all the input from you experienced runners! It's so nice to have you all as a resource as I figure all of this out. My first half is 3 weeks from today.
  • KWKY
    KWKY Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I used to but don't anymore because the local races don't allow MP3's, and I don't feel safe in the early mornings with headphones on and can't work out what is going on around me.
  • StrongerByTheMiles
    Options
    Update: I finished my first half marathon- so happy! I decided to take my music and scope out the scene. There was no entertainment and VERY little crowd noise. I decided to use music. It looked like the race would feel alot like my training runs, so I wanted to create a scenario that I was comfortable with. I was really glad that I had music! The course was very quiet with the exception of the 2 checkpoints. I kept the volume low so I could still hear around me. I turned it up during the last 2 miles to give me a little boost to keep going. I would not use it if I ran a "big" race (like the Columbus Marathon I am training for next), but if you use it for training them I would highly recommend using it for a small race - like yours in Utah, Sarahisarunner!
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Update: I finished my first half marathon- so happy! I decided to take my music and scope out the scene. There was no entertainment and VERY little crowd noise. I decided to use music. It looked like the race would feel alot like my training runs, so I wanted to create a scenario that I was comfortable with. I was really glad that I had music! The course was very quiet with the exception of the 2 checkpoints. I kept the volume low so I could still hear around me. I turned it up during the last 2 miles to give me a little boost to keep going. I would not use it if I ran a "big" race (like the Columbus Marathon I am training for next), but if you use it for training them I would highly recommend using it for a small race - like yours in Utah, Sarahisarunner!
    Congrats on finishing your first 1/2. I ran my first one back in May and I was on cloud 9 for a week. I still have my bib and race stats hanging in my cubical at work.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I've only run one race thus far, and I used my iPhone. Listened to podcasts and audiobooks, not music. I started out without anything, but it was a very small race, out in the country, so there were times that I could hardly even see anyone else, let alone chat with anyone. The books help the time pass for me.
  • dipletti
    dipletti Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of running my second race with music (which I don't usually do) and it threw everything off. I went too fast and faded out. I would say if music is what you are used to then use it.
    Good luck.

EDIT
    just saw you did it already!! Congrats...
  • StrongerByTheMiles
    Options
    After a few races, I have learned a little more about my feelings on the music issue. If it's a short race.....music is not necessary. In a longer race, it all depends on the size of the race field and the crowd. I ran a half marathon that only had about 200 participants and the crowd was only in one spot. I took my music for this race and was glad that I did. The nature of the race made it feel more like a training run. I ran a whole marathon that was big and had alot of crowd support. I did not take music and i was glad. The people around me (other runners, crowd, music along the way) were so much more inspiring than any music!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I've also stopped using music when I run - even the boring runs on the indoor track. I'm surprised at how much I enjoy listening to my feet hit the floor and my breathing.
  • wonderstruck91
    wonderstruck91 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I only use music when I run indoors on the treadmill to save myself from boredom. Long runs outdoors and all races I pass on music.