Strength Training w/o Using Shoulder - Ideas?

Options
Grrrr! I had JUST gotten into NROWL when I messed up my rotator cuff (it might have been from NROWL, or from derby - hard to say, one day I just noticed that I couldn't finish a set of pushups). Anyway...as much as I love the excuse to just run and bike for exercise...I'm getting soft and I don't like it! Anyone have a good strength circuit I could do in conjunction with my PT exercises for my shoulders? My lower body and core are totally fine - no pushups, pullups, shoulder presses...etc.

I don't want to start NROWL again until I'm better, but I NEED to do something!

Thanks!

Replies

• kriatenlevans
    Options
    I just posted a similar situation. Major bummer. I'll be watching to see the advice you get ;-) I'm sorry you are hurt though
  • vatblack
    vatblack Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem. Although I have not started lifting yet, because I've had this frozen should since before I came here. I am doing my PT exercises too and was wondering how to do strength training for other parts.

The physical therapist I see asked me to go very slow when I do start lifting as I could easily re-injure my shoulder lifting.

So, I wonder if they mention anywhere in New Rules (which I'm reading now) how to take it easily. I have to say, I'm really surprised to see on the main board people posting that they have done insanity, or the 30DS, or P90 something, something and mention injuries that come as a result.

I have also worried about some of the stuff I've read in NROLFW - there seems to be a bit of the old 80s no pain, no gain mentality out there again. (Hang on... I'm digressing, I'm going to start a new thread.)

Anyway, so, what can we do about strength without using our shoulders?
  • CleanandLean33
    Options
    Could focus on lower limbs either using the machines that isolate lower limbs?

..or...

just uses body weight to do squats, lunges, abs. Etc

There are more difficult progressions e.g One leg squat- you can do this with balance ball behind you against the wall (off the floor in the mid of your back) for more stability but they are killers.

Abs raising straight legs with balance ball between your ankles and really slow... Might not be super heavy but it's tough.

Lots of leg exercises with stronger resistance bands? Means you get the weighted effect without having to hold the weight?

Obviously google all these as they are just ideas of the top my head that I've done with a pt in the gym.
  • wonderkitten711
    wonderkitten711 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    When I was rehabbing from shoulder surgery earlier this year (still am, technically, but its the end stages of rehab now) and couldn't do any lifting with my affected arm really I did loads of body weight stuff and light range of motion exercises for my shoulders in my workout. If I remember right, my workout routine was squats, lunges, superman, modified pushups when I was allowed (my PT finally let me do wall pushups about ...4-5 months post op I think), lateral raises with no weights, reverse crunches and regular crunches.

If you're doing shoulder rehab with an actual therapist and they have any sports background (most of them do), ask your PT about a workout routine that wouldn't impact your shoulder. Mine was a great resource for both shoulder rehab and workout routines.
  • slammy1079
    slammy1079 Posts: 97
    Options
    Thanks, all! I have been seeing my PT for it - it's actually also where my gym is, which comes in really handy. Going to head to the gym tonight and do my PT exercises, then some sets of box jumps, squats, lunges, core work, maybe kettlebell swings (my PT said I should be able to do those okay), then some HIIT.

Today it actually feels like it's my tricep that hurts, not my shoulder. I wonder if the pain is traveling around?
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    problem with a shoulder injury is it basically can stop your whole upper body workouts.. there isn't anything I would suggest doing with weights on the upper body that doesn't involve the shoulder. I would definitely listen to your PT on their advice..

Now you could continue doing lower body workouts, cardio,and the dreaded abs..
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I injured my rotary cuff while doing Insanity a few months ago and a trainer at my current gym actually suggested that I start using lights weights with it. It healed it almost immediatly! I was shocked. I didn't do enough for it to actually hurt, but enough to stretch it and I was shocked that it helped. Haven't had issues since.
  • slammy1079
    slammy1079 Posts: 97
    Options
    Okay, I spent a boring work meeting writing up my plan for this afternoon (I can't be the only one, can I?)

Warm up - 5 minutes treadmill, dynamic stretching
    PT exercises: seated row on machine, some band and ball exercises

Then:

Box jumps
    Jacknives on a ball
    Walking lunges with kettlebell
    Kettlebell swings (lighter weight)
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Woodchops on pulley (core exercise, but I will skip if it hurts)

Repeat for three rounds total.

Then maybe HIIT, but having not gotten my *kitten* in the gym lately...I will probably be tired. :)

Look good?