Calories to subtract or my hypothyroid...

Options
2»

Replies

• moesaid2
    moesaid2 Posts: 67
    Options
    How do you take the coconut oil? Is it okay to cook with it? How much a day?
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I mix it with my protein powder & cereal... its yummy! Some people make candies out of it with cocoa & sweetener. If you do a search for it, you'll find the recipe right in this group. You can also use it to cook with, works good. Or mix it with your salad dressing... don't micro-wave it though... to soften it, put in bowl & place bowl in warm water, works fast. Also don't refrigerate.

I read that you should eat 1 TBS for every 50 lbs. of wt. I try to eat it for my goal wt. :wink: I had to start off very slowly, as I haven't had any fat in my diet for years. But I love it now!
  • moesaid2
    Options
    I mix it with my protein powder & cereal... its yummy! Some people make candies out of it with cocoa & sweetener. If you do a search for it, you'll find the recipe right in this group. You can also use it to cook with, works good. Or mix it with your salad dressing... don't micro-wave it though... to soften it, put in bowl & place bowl in warm water, works fast. Also don't refrigerate.

I read that you should eat 1 TBS for every 50 lbs. of wt. I try to eat it for my goal wt. :wink: I had to start off very slowly, as I haven't had any fat in my diet for years. But I love it now!

So, I weigh 192lbs. so I should eat about 4 TBS per day?? I eat oatmeal in the morning, so I can mix some in the that and the rest in other foods throughout the day??. Is there a certain type that I need to buy? I have LouAna pure coconut oil. It's not virgin and has no trans fats...I've had it for a year and I use it in my lotions :happy: but I have never cooked with it.

Sorry for so many questions....just NEED A LOT OF HELP with this thyroid issue!!! THANKS!!
  • debbylee22
    Options
    So, I weigh 192lbs. so I should eat about 4 TBS per day?? I eat oatmeal in the morning, so I can mix some in the that and the rest in other foods throughout the day??. Is there a certain type that I need to buy? I have LouAna pure coconut oil. It's not virgin and has no trans fats...I've had it for a year and I use it in my lotions :happy: but I have never cooked with it.

Sorry for so many questions....just NEED A LOT OF HELP with this thyroid issue!!! THANKS!!

No problem on the questions! I ask lots too. :wink:
    I'm not sure your coconut oil, but its not supposed to be processed. If it has no trans fat, its probably good. But try to get the virgin when you replace it. :smile:
    Yes, it would be great in oatmeal. I have mixed it into my salad dressing, used it as butter on my corn tortilla (wrap). I use it to brush my teeth, and on my saggy chin (supposed to "firm" saggy skin), to remove mascara under my eyes, and even as deodorant...(but I'm scared it won't work, so I don't rely on it).
    Yes, I guess it would be close to 4 TBS. but my inclination would be to eat for your goal weight. Also remember to cut out other fats (you can use it like butter). It is supposed to replace other fats... and it will add a lot of calories to your daily total. You will notice that it takes away belly-fat right off the bat. :smokin:
  • bigjax1
    bigjax1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    can you tell me more about this diet as I am desperate to lose the weight I gained (47lb)from a thyroid malfunction... it went on in 10 weeks when my TSH reached 10.9

now I cannot shift any of it... I went back to slimming world where I had lost 69lb some years ago and gained 2lb in the first week
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Welcome Jax, :flowerforyou:
    Are you & hubby bikers? My husband & I love to ride too :happy:
    Your question [can you tell me more about this diet] on this thread, I am not sure which diet you are asking about. I think there are a few different ideas going. If you are asking me, about the body-builders diet, or coconut thing, I'd be happy to share with you. :wink:
  • moesaid2
    Options
    @ Debbylee....THANKS for the info. I appreciate it!!
  • embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've lost 3 pounds since Sunday! Lowered my calories, so basically i am not eating back my exercise calories. Started the coconut oil Wednesday. Hopefully I can keep this up be ause I am only 10 from my goal for August!
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Yay! That's wonderful!
    I've lost 3 pounds since Sunday! Lowered my calories, so basically i am not eating back my exercise calories. Started the coconut oil Wednesday. Hopefully I can keep this up be ause I am only 10 from my goal for August!
  • hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    "Yes, it would be great in oatmeal. I have mixed it into my salad dressing, used it as butter on my corn tortilla (wrap). I use it to brush my teeth, and on my saggy chin (supposed to "firm" saggy skin), to remove mascara under my eyes, and even as deodorant...(but I'm scared it won't work, so I don't rely on it."

I'm now editing my post since I can't seem to figure out how to use the quote feature on the site. So, that up there is a quote from earlie in this thread. This is the second time in two days that I've heard someone say they use coconut oil on their teeth. Just curious, what is the benefit suppose to be?
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Hi!
    Its a good "whitener" and I also read online that toothpaste has ingredients in it that aren't good for hypo... I have always disliked using toothpaste. So many of the things that are bad for thyroid have averted me way before I read it online. Strange... I like it though, doesn't leave a taste in your mouth & does a great job.
  • risec10
    risec10 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I swear by Coconut Oil as well. It's important to buy Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. Amazon has it cheaper than most stores so that would be a great place to start. Also make sure the kind you buy is unrefined. A great book to read is the Coconut Oil Miracle. Hope that helps :)