Gaining and Frustrated

Options
TyFit08
TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
I dropped 6lbs in the kickstart week and I felt so motivated. But that is where the loss ended. I gained two lbs last week and another lb this week. I did lose an inch last week, haven't checked measurements yet for this week. But I need to lose weight. Inches don't cut it when you have 50lbs to lose. I have done two to three extra workouts a week in addition to the regular schedule. I am still eating about 1200 calories. I upped my carbs from her first week, some days i eat some of my exercise calories, some days I don't. I never eat them all. I mainly just eat when I'm hungry. So many people on MFP always post its as simple as calories in versus calories out. Obviously that's not the case, because I should be losing instead of gaining. I also have PCOS, so that makes this even harder, I had been keeping my carbs around 75 net g a day. Yesterday I decided to up it. I don't want to stop the program. I'm a week away from finishing Phase 1, I want to keep going but I want results.

Replies

• klafrankie
    klafrankie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You are gaining muscle which weights more than fat. Stick with it and the fat loss will eventually overtake the muscle added as far as pounds go. Take your measurements and you may be surprised by inches lost. Give it at least 60 days, you will see a major change in your body. What's the alternative? Not doing the work and still being overweight? This is the healthy way to get fit. Stick with it and it will pay off.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me , I'm in my final 2 weeks and in the beginning I gained 4 lbs then lost them then gained them back :grumble: Was very frastrated!!! However, I agree with previous post, you're gaining muscle and probably your muscles are retaining water to recover themselves. Keep it up, and don't forget that muscle burns fat, so eventually you'll strat dropping lbs. Just give it a month. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I just finished Week 3 of Phase 1 and I hear ya.
    I have consisently been doing cardio 6 times a week in addition to her workouts. Its hard to make time to do both, plus the extra time to prepare healthy meals. Some days I don't have time so I may just squeeze in a mile - mile and a half walk with my dog or a quick 2-3 mile bike ride-- but its always something. And I keep my calories about 1200 (as I am very sedentary besides the working out, I work from home). And I eat them back if I'm hungry. But I'm not usually hungry. But I'm debating about eating more as I'm not really losing.
    Since I've been on this program, I think I've lost 3lbs, but not sure how accurate that is- my weight seems to be jumping around a bit.
    I think I've had too much sodium, so I think I might be retaining- in addition to new muscles that I am beginning to see (in arms/shoulders)

I did do my meaurements after Week 2 and (assuming I am calculating it right), I did lose 4 inches. Mainly thru the torso. Didn't really lose any after Week 3-- which was quite harder.
    But as another poster said, stick with it. Its bound to show results. Might just take us longer. And what is the alternative?
    I do feel myself getting stronger and some clothes are fitting a little looser.
  • FitBrunette
    FitBrunette Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I recall reading that Jillian stated that the first month is mainly about working on balance and stability. While the second month steps it up and that's where a lot of results happen, along with month 3.

I, too, have PCOS and twice during month 2 did I see myself losing 3lbs a week instead of just 1lb like I was in month 1. Now that I am nearing my goals, I have noticed that my weight loss is slowing and that's probably also due to muscle gain. The same could possibly be happening to you. And as someone else mentioned, you're most likely retaining water to heal those muscles.

Definitely stick with the program because the alternative isn't any better. Having PCOS myself, I realize how challenging and truly frustrating it can be. This program has helped me tremendously, so much so I am planning on starting it all over again once I complete Phase 3 at the end of this week.

Good luck and stay strong. :)
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I do plan to stick with it. But its hard when you don't see the results like others. I did two rounds of Insanity and barely lost any weight or inches. I worked out and watched what I eat since high school. In spite of that I have gained 50lbs in the last 2 years and nothing seems to work. I know PCOS presents makes weight loss more challenging but that doesn't make it any less frustrating.
  • hiitrocks
    hiitrocks Posts: 100
    Options
    I am on workouts 11 and 12 this week and last week put on 2 lbs :( I do think it is related to muscle recovery though so I refuse to get on the scale every day and obsess about it! Try and focus on the positives, improvements you have made, differences in clothes etc