Anyone with PCOS eating more...?

Options
kazala
kazala Posts: 115 Member
Hey! Just wondering if anyone with polycystic ovaries is eating more to weigh less? And if so what sort of food are you eating? I have PCOS and only lose weight if I go low carb. Very low carb in fact. I recently upped my cals from the dreaded 1200 up to 1400, and am doing this gradually to head to my BMR of 1650 (before I head to TDEE). Ive already bloated & put on 3 lb with only an extra 200 kcals per day although Ive learnt a lot from this group so Im not worried about that. I just wondered how other PCOS people get on with eating this way? Its sooooo hard to eat a lot of calories when eating low carb. I struggle to eat back my exercise cals at the moment!!
Ive bought protein shakes & peanut butter today lol Any other advice would be great!! x

Replies

• angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have PCOS and eat more. I'm not on any medication for my PCOS.

I can honestly say that I've always been able to lose weight when dieting but never maintained for any length of time. I've been eating 1750 a day for a few weeks (prior to this I had a few weeks of slowly increasing my calories and eating back exercise calories - I was averaging 1650 - 1750 a day). I've been losing weight slowly and steadily. I'm happy with the rate I've been losing at as I am not far off my goal weight.

I like the way with EM2WL that it is one set number of calories to eat every day.

My diary is open if you want to check it out. I eat dairy, bread, pasta, rice, meat, fish, fruit, veg, nuts, crackers....most stuff really. I don't eat chocolate often now as I think it triggers my IBS. Nutella doesn't so you will see a small amount of that in my diary every now and then ;)

Not sure if any of that helps.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too....I try n stick to the good carbs but do restrict my carbs at night. I am really trying to focus on getting the protein up & eating a variety if foods (that always seems to help me)
  • stormyWI
    stormyWI Posts: 12
    Options
    I just started this week (again) on MFP. I have PCOS and decided to go back to following the Insulin Resistance Diet. I am not IR and it will work even if you're not IR. It's the only diet since being diagnosed with PCOS that I don't yo-yo on. When I did this plan several years ago I lost 20-25 in 3-4 months. I then got pregnant :) and stopped due to such bad nausea and not wanting to eat much of anything.

So yeah now that I am back on it, it seems like I am eating a lot. The Insulin Resistance Diet focuses on "balancing" your carbs with protein. So in that aspect it is lower carb (you can't consume more than 30g of carbs in a 2 hr period, but protein is basically unlimited). I usually have around 100-150 carbs per day (more towards 100).

The book can be found on amazon, libraries, etc. Used it costs about $5. Definitely worth it if anyone is interested.
  • lovesharmony
    lovesharmony Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and i notice that certain protein shakes make me bloated.
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have it too. I haven't been doing eating more for long. So far no weight gains or losses to speak of just strength and feeling of overall better health which I think is totally worth it :) I just took out New Rules of Lifting for Women from the Library so I'm excited to see how that changes things. :)
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Me too but I couldn't go low carb to save myself. My scales stay the same but fat and cms drop. A lot of my carbs are fruit and the only change I've really made is I don't eat white bread except for tonight when I make homemade focaccia....mmmm. But the more I concentrate on protein my carbs drop away a bit.

Feel free to add me as a friend and check out my diary. I end up on average monthly with my macros for carbs at about 48-50%.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Trying to work up a meal plan for a friend. When you guys say good carbs, does that include dairy, whole grains, fruits?
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    Options
    I'm not sure everyone will agree but for me I have about 1 litre of trim milk a day in my shakes and my mochas, whole grain bread, lots of fruit. Works for me. The milk helps me keep my protein on target. Hasn't stopped my fat loss. Just my 2cents.
    Trying to work up a meal plan for a friend. When you guys say good carbs, does that include dairy, whole grains, fruits?
  • kazzsjourney
    Options
    I eat dairy, whole grains, and fruit. I find its just the white carbs that adversely affect me. I will still have pasta but where as i ate it every night now its a treat night meal. I definitely drink at least half a litre of milk per day. And usually 1-2 pieces of fruit :)
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, but I am a hot mess, lol. If I do super low carb I make it 3 or 4 days and have a massive binge. I am much better off eating healthy carbs and grains and working my tushy off! i used to be on metformin for my pcos but it didn't make any difference so I came off of it. My hormones are allllll messed up!

So far since joining MFP and EM2WL group a month ago, I have gained 10lbs. BUT!!!!!! I have lost about 12 inches!!! This is what happens when you fuel yourself and work out 3 times a week at 2.5+hrs a time. :) The scale is my arch enemy right now, but I feel as healthy and fit as I did in high school 16 years ago :) I feel for once I am "getting healthy" and not just trying to lose weight.

Now if it is 6 months down the line and I am still up, I might change my mind. But my numbers are AWESOME! My blood pressure and blood sugar are off the charts, in a good way. But like most PCOS peeps by cholesterol and triglycerides are a bit high :( But for a massive fatty, I am one healthy ox!
  • kazzsjourney
    Options
    Im similar to you aqua if i restrict carbs the weight drops of me but it just leads to binges. So now i just try and avoid grainy carbs most nites at dinner time but i eat them thruout the day...its a slower process but works.im under 10 kilos from goal now (22 pounds) so just at the end of things but i have exercised a lot over the last nearly 4 years to get to this point and think the exercise is quite critical :)
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I wanted to throw dairy, quinoa and fruit into my suggestions for her. You guys have made me feel like that will probably be okay. Congrats on your progress so far. Feeling healthy definitely feels soooo good!
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    Options
    I'm so pleased for you. I think I may hAve seen some of your first posts but did you have a different user name. Anyway congrats. My weight didn't change for 18months but the important stuff def did. All the best for the rest of your journey...you rock!!!!
    I have PCOS, but I am a hot mess, lol. If I do super low carb I make it 3 or 4 days and have a massive binge. I am much better off eating healthy carbs and grains and working my tushy off! i used to be on metformin for my pcos but it didn't make any difference so I came off of it. My hormones are allllll messed up!

So far since joining MFP and EM2WL group a month ago, I have gained 10lbs. BUT!!!!!! I have lost about 12 inches!!! This is what happens when you fuel yourself and work out 3 times a week at 2.5+hrs a time. :) The scale is my arch enemy right now, but I feel as healthy and fit as I did in high school 16 years ago :) I feel for once I am "getting healthy" and not just trying to lose weight.

Now if it is 6 months down the line and I am still up, I might change my mind. But my numbers are AWESOME! My blood pressure and blood sugar are off the charts, in a good way. But like most PCOS peeps by cholesterol and triglycerides are a bit high :( But for a massive fatty, I am one healthy ox!
  • AquaFitQueen
    Options
    Yeah I used to be "thatfatgurl" but I read a book by Julian Michaels and she talks about letting go of the labels from the past...and I kind took it to heart :)
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    Options
    Fantastic idea, those names do stick with us eh and we are the only ones to kick them in the *kitten*.
    Yeah I used to be "thatfatgurl" but I read a book by Julian Michaels and she talks about letting go of the labels from the past...and I kind took it to heart :)
  • kazala
    Options
    But for a massive fatty, I am one healthy ox!

Lol love this! Well done you!!!

Thanks for your replies everyone. I still eat carbs, but try to only at breakfast time, except for fruit or poataoes in veg soup and that sort of thing. What is a grainy carb then?
  • AquaFitQueen
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta and brown rice. To be fair, I dont eat rice but twice a month and pasta maybe once a month. I also eat wholemeal bread. mmmmm. bread = crack to me, lol
  • kazala
    Options
    LOL yeah and me. That why I have carbs at breakfast. I dont function if I haveny had toast!!!
  • Daymia
    Daymia Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have it as well, am on medication though I rarely remember to take it, and I've just focused on eating in moderation. I spent a good 8 months at 1650 calories per day, recently upped it to 1800, and after this maintenance phase I plan to go more toward 1900. I was never told by doctors or my dietitian to watch certain foods or macros, so I haven't bothered.
  • kazala
    Options
    Wow and you've lost 60lbs so far by eating that well? Inspiring! Thanks x