Anyone with about 15-20 pounds to lose?

Options
So I am not currently considered overweight, but I know for a fact that I am not at my ideal weight which is 115. I have gained weight over the past few months and am currently somewhere around 130-135. Although I want to get to my ideal weight the shape of my body and how my clothes fit is much more important, especially getting back into my old jeans!!! Is there anyone else who has been in a similar situation or is currently? I really want to make this happen by September and am willing to work really hard. Advice, thoughts, etc? Thanks so much!!

Replies

• SusuAtta
    SusuAtta Posts: 56
    Options
    Yep! I'm 5'6", around 140, and want to lose 10-15 lbs. I want to get as healthy as I can before I start college in mid August! BUT I also intend to lose these last pounds by eating in the way that I want to be eating for the rest of my life (except with a temporary decrease in calories for the extra fat loss), and I suggest you do the same! Crash diets and extreme calorie restrictions will only give temporary results, and I can vouch for that. You have a pretty good time frame to lose the weight from now, so I definitely think that you will be able to lose it in a healthy way.

Things I would suggest? One is to get excited about healthy food, if you are not already. Find out what clean foods you love, experiment with new health foods, and look up their benefits! I include "super foods" in my diet everyday, like sweet potato and blueberries. I also snack a lot on fruits (apples, watermelon, strawberries) and veggies (cucumber, carrots, grape tomatoes) because I love them, and they are refreshing and keep me satisfied while giving me the energy to be active and the drive to stay on the right track.
    Also, I'm sure you have heard about the importance of water. Drink enough of it, and keep a bottle around you at all times! This is actually something I'm still working on :laugh:
    What kind of exercises are you doing? Cardio is great for making a healthy heart, burning calories, and raising metabolism not only for the duration of the exercise, but for the rest of the day. But don't forget to build some lean muscle! This is also another thing that I have to work on, because I usually stick with HIIT, but the more muscle we have, the tighter our bodies will look and the more calories we will burn. I think I'll add some weights to my exercises and take a few Pilates classes! :smile:
    Some tips?
    Keep those jeans somewhere you can see them to keep you encouraged! Remember, weight loss is as much a mental thing as anything else.
    When I go out with my friends of family, I allow myself to eat what I crave, while not gorging on it. It's easier to control yourself in front of people, and you should definitely allow yourself to eat what you want to eat to avoid mild insanity, which can lead to weight loss failure.
    I eat off of smaller plates so that it looks like I'm eating more food, and I also use smaller utensils so that it takes me longer to eat. Eating mindfully is pretty satisfying -- no phone, computer, or TV. This way, you can take the time to listen to your body and feel how it reacts to certain foods. The more you know about your body, the easier it is to be healthy.
    Move as much as possible. If you find yourself sitting for a long period of time, get up! If no one is around, do a little dance! If not, then just walk around a bit. Every bit counts! Also take a trip outside. I don't know what it is, but something about the fresh air of the outer world makes me want to be healthier.
    Don't beat yourself up when things go wrong, and keep a logical mind. My mind set use to be that if I already messed up for the day, I might as well EAT EVERYTHING IN SITE BECAUSE I SUCK and I'll never be where I want to be. But that's a very false statement, and it's made while in a state of frustration. When I'm sad or mad, I try to ignore my thoughts because they are usually not in my best interest.

That's all that I can think of for now, but I hope it helps :happy: We can do this!
  • lalalannie
    Options
    Thanks so much :) I will def put your advice to use. Hope you're doing well with all of your goals! As you said, we can do this!!!
  • fishiesintheseaa
    fishiesintheseaa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am in the same position as you ladies - trying to lose about 10-15 pounds (but more importantly just love the way I look) by the time school starts. Its just so tough sometimes! I stay committed for a few days, and then I lose sight of my goals. I don't know how to stay on track!
  • SusuAtta
    SusuAtta Posts: 56
    Options
    No problem, lalalannie! We have to make good habits!
    And I know exactly what you mean, fishiesinthesea! Happens to me, too. It's like I know how to be healthy, and I do amazing one day, then the next few days I decline, and decline... Then I get re-vamped and start the cycle over! Haha it's frustrating! It just takes time and practice, soon we will be where we want to be if we keep ourselves in line. But I think that a good thing about not having too much to lose is that our goals are closer. We have to be health ninjas, and hide ourselves from bad habits :glasses:
  • Mc_Queen
    Mc_Queen Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm also the wrong side of 130 trying to get to 115! It's so much harder when you have less to lose... All feel free to add me :flowerforyou:
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hi

I currently weigh 137lbs and would like to get back down to around 120lbs.
    I am 5 foot 2 inches and 27 years old.

This week ive taken up swimming too which i am really enjoying.

Feel free to add me for support.

Love Stacey xxx
  • yb93021
    yb93021 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am currently 5'8" and weigh 155. I am really would like to get down to a size 4, as this the size I feel most comfortable at. I should get there my losing about 15 pounds.

I am trying to focus really hard on eating clean (sugar is my weakness). I find that drinking a ton of water really helps me control how much I eat. I am going to be very strict with making sure I stay within my calorie limit by tracking everything I eat. Hopefully with serious dedication I am get there by September.
  • brooke800
    brooke800 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Add me, too! I'm 5'10" and 156. I'm trying to get to 140, but I haven't had any luck so far :( Not happy about it and not sure what else i can do at this point.
  • mariemc91
    mariemc91 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm currently 138. I'm trying to lose the last 13 pounds from having my baby. I'm new to this site and would love the extra support. Add me please :)
  • balancedhealth
    Options
    Yep. Want to lose about 15 lbs. Currently just under 120 and I look my best at 105. I'm small boned and 5'3".
  • fiddlefiddle19
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 4.6kg/10lbs! I'm quite short, 5'1 and have flabby arms and tummy, I'm trying to achieve a visible thigh gap (lol this seems unhealthy) :) I'm now 51.6kg
  • watslisa
    watslisa Posts: 1
    Options
    I think I am probably pre-menopausal and suddenly jumped 20 pounds. I could not believe it when I stepped on the scale! I'm 5'2" and always weighed a very healty 100 pounds until fairly recently. I don't like the way my clothes fit and I am pretty shocked that this weight snuck up on me (it has really been over the course of the last two years). Anyway, I'm finally starting to pay attention to what I eat, so I guess that's a good thing. I've always been fairly active, but now I'm even more conscious about that. I like this site. It is easy to use and free!
  • startatted
    startatted Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 5'5, and 147...which is maybe JUST OVER the normal weight for my height and just beginning the overweight. I used MFP and lost 10 pounds before, got into normal weight...now I want to use it to get right into the middle of normal weight for my height (130 - would put me between a 4 and a 6 again). A few tips:

- Try a spin class. They are HARD HARD HARD at first, but I love them because the music is so fun to exercise to (most instructors have pretty good mixes, though it depends on your taste and varies). Great way to get your cardio in.

- For beginning muscle tone, I really enjoy yoga. It's not too challenging at all, and gives you a foundation to move onto something more challenging, like weight training.

- It's summertime, so one lunch I have really been digging lately is a whole bunch of different fruit (this week it's been cantaloupe, grapes, and blueberries) covered with a light yogurt. You get protein, you get fiber, you get vitamins, and it is delicious. Makes a great dessert too, because it's so sweet!

- Try to work in a veggie with all your meals, even if it's a 'bad meal.' A couple days ago, I had a couple slices of pizza. I ate some carrots and light ranch with it - helped me feel full after only two pieces of pizza, and I got in one of my servings that way.

Hope these help! Feel free to add me so we can support/challenge each other. :)
  • Starfisch777
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm facing thé same challenge... I was up to 150 pounds at 5ft 6in, lost around 6 pounds during a week of fasting to kick start weight loss and am now eating around 1200 cals a day to ultimately get down to 130 pounds. First mini goal is getting back into the healthy BMI range by shedding 3.5 more pounds down to 141. I'd love to get some extra support from you girls. Together we can do it!!

Do you follow any specific nutrition plan?

I'm trying to stay within the calorie goal and eat as natural as possible, with lots of veg, less wheat (I'm trying alternatives like buckwheat or millet) and no sugar/sweets...
  • gabuhurtado
    gabuhurtado Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I am also trying to lose 15 to 20 lbs. I do not follow a specific nutrition plan, but I try to stay within 1200 calories, eat a lot of fiber, veggies, and lean protein :o)

Feel free to add me!
  • DaphneSW
    DaphneSW Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So I am not currently considered overweight, but I know for a fact that I am not at my ideal weight which is 115. I have gained weight over the past few months and am currently somewhere around 130-135. Although I want to get to my ideal weight the shape of my body and how my clothes fit is much more important, especially getting back into my old jeans!!! Is there anyone else who has been in a similar situation or is currently? I really want to make this happen by September and am willing to work really hard. Advice, thoughts, etc? Thanks so much!!

omg i'm pretty much in the same boat, i pretty much want to just lose the exess fat on my body is all, rather than lose serious weight xD
  • sjlockyer912
    Options
    I'm 5'4 or 5'5. I was always between 115 and 120 until about a year ago I got up to 141, by cutting out drinking alcohol and eating out every meal I got down to 135...sense then I have started eating more healthfully..eggs for breakfast with wheat toast, mixed greens salads with grilled chicken/shrimp/ lunch meat etc..and more salads, protien and veggies for dinner. I drink at least one chocolate muscle milk a day, helps me with junk food cravings or late night hunger..I only drink water now, and never go anywhere with out a bottle....as far as excersise I used to be flaky until I found things I enjoy doing...I realized I LOVE cycle class at my gym, it's 45 minuets, great cardio but the different positions and resistance are great for building firm calves, quads, hamstrings and glutes, i go between for and 6 days a week. I also like power walking outside, somewhere from 2 to 6 miles depending on the heat, how much time I have, and what else I am doing as far as workouts that day...I usually try and run about 10 minuets of my walks...I power walk 2 miles every night after dinner no matter what. At the gym I use the elliptical, bike, and treadmill, sometimes all of them for 15 to 20 minuet each...to keep from getting bored I listen to one song and go fast with little resistance, next song add resistance try and maintain pace next song slow pace add resistance...and I do half of my time on elliptical going backwards to work my butt:) I do the leg weights at the gym as well. But do my arms and abs at home with DVDs ...keeping my routine mixed up between what I love( cycle and walking outside) and things I push through like weights and the elliptical I stay motivated! I've lost 3 pounds in 2 weeks doing this and can already see a huge difference in my leg and arm muscles!