Night Sweats :(

Options
bentwillow
bentwillow Posts: 12 Member
I and 50 years old had a radical hysterectomy 8 years ago. Since starting MFP, I've started having night sweats/hotflashes again - thought I was done with this! Anyone else have experience with this? I'm wondering if it is related to my diet?

Replies

• megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I had night sweats a bunch of years ago (maybe five years?) and thought I was headed toward full-blown menopause. But then, after a few months, they stopped -- but TOM never left. Pesky Tom. I'm SO over him.

Anyway, I guess I don't have any insight into diet and night sweats (and no clue to this day why mine stopped), but I did find that wicking sleepwear was incredibly helpful. Expensive, but worth it.

Oh! I did, back then, make a conscious effort to up my daily water intake, which is now second nature. And I tried South Beach, which meant that I stopped drinking alcohol as much, overall. Those two factors can't have hurt (though I'm not a South Beach devote, since that plan is not sustainable for me, long-term).

Have I answered enough questions that you DIDN'T ask yet?? LOL!

Editing to add that your diary looks great! Maybe your body's just adjusting to new, healthy habits?
  • Sptwoman
    Sptwoman Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've discovered that I am insulin resistant. As a result I am eating on a modified low glycemic plan. This had made a positive effect on hot flashes and night sweats for me.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My TOM makes it so I don't have hot flashes. Probably has to do with the hormones. I have my period about once every 4 months as of now and I can tell when it is coming because the flashes go away.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new to this group and I just started having hot flashes too pretty much every night now. It seems like it started once I started losing weight and a friend of mine says it can very well have something to do with it. She suggested I take Black Kohash and I have been for over a week now and still no relief (sigh) I am for natural cures so I will keep searching for something that helps. I haven't gone a year without my cycle yet but my last one was February and that is the longest I have gone so far. Hope we can all find something that works for these horrible night sweats.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Oh yes.....I can't remember the last time I went to sleep and didn't wake up at least once sweating profusely and usually with my heart racing. Strangely I never have hot flushes during the day although I'd happily swap with someone who does..lol

I have tried various herbal things and I think Black Cohosh helps....well the nights get much worse if I stop taking it but it certainly hasn't stopped them. I just hope I grow out of them at some point.
  • gatorginger
    Options
    I woke up last night in pure sweat took my gown off and was able to sleep the rest of the night. I think I need to find some lingerie that is cotton I hear that is suppose to help, all I know it sure helped when I took off my gown. All I can say is the black cohosh hasn't made any difference for me but I'm still taking it so we shall see
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say that drinking alcohol late in the evening makes it much worse. I can't comment on the benefits or otherwise of nightwear as I don't own any :0
  • gatorginger
    Options
    LOl your funny, I'm not a big alcohol drinker anyhow but thanks for letting me know.
  • workshy000
    workshy000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I read that cinnamon is good for hot flushes but there are quite a few contra-indications including diabetes and high blood pressure.
    I haven't tried it in any medicinal way (unless you count cinnamon donuts as medicinal) so can't comment on its efficacy.
  • gatorginger
    Options
    There are cinnamon tablets to take so maybe I'll try those
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I limited processed foods, carbs and caffine, they are better - NOT eliminated but less.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Mine got a lot worse with weight loss too. I read that your body stores estrogen in fat and when you lose the fat, you say goodbye to the estrogen! I'm taking Estroven Energy and it has helped the night sweats tremendously! It's not cheap but it's worth it. I buy it at Sam's club for about $29.00 for a months supply. The hot flashes are still here but they arent as often or as intense. Thank you GOD for that. lol
    I'd be on HRT but I have a blood clotting disorder and cant ever take it again. Good luck and I hope you get some relief soon!
  • gatorginger
    Options
    I agree with you noIjustlook about them getting worse with weight loss cause that's what happened to me. I'm still looking for a magic pill was told vitamin e so that is my next pill to try as the black kohash isn't working for me
  • Snowflake0917
    Options
    I had not had a period in 8 months with infrequentt hot flashes. When I began to lose weight I started having periods and more hot flashes. GYN says it is due to hormone regulation and estrogen stores in fat....plus I started on symvastatin and that causes hot flashes and night sweats.
  • gatorginger
    Options
    Life is full of ups and downs lol, the ups is losing the weight and the downs is the hot flashes lol, so far no period for me since February and I haven't missed them either :}
  • masirahmo
    masirahmo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just to add to previous posts, I too have experienced an upsurge in hot flushes and night sweats since starting this diet. I am trying the South Beach Diet which seems to be working as far as weight loss is concerned. Interesting to read about estrogen being stored in fat - you just can't win can you??! Black Cohosh worked for me to a certain extent when I first used it about three years ago, but at that time the recommended dose was 740mg per day. This has since been slashed several times, and I believe it is now less than 50mg . There are serious concerns about it's overuse and it's adverse effects on the liver. I had my doctor mystified before a trip to India as I had no resistance whatsoever to Hepatitis C - then I told him about the Black Cohosh, which was indeed to blame. Needless to say I stopped taking it there and then. My doctor has prescribed Neurontin - I think the generic name is Gabapentin - to help with the flushes. This is a drug used to control epileptic seizures but it has been used to combat flushes with quite good results. It hasn't made them disappear - but it has made them far less severe, and has allowed me to get at least some sleep! Also juggling medication with Thyroxine for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which is also a stumbling block to weight loss. In my dark moments I firmly believe that I could get my jaw wired and STILL not lose weight!! :blushing:
  • sylrog
    Options
    I don't like to take herbs or pills or anything really if at all possible. My hot flashes were helped by taking a cold shower before I went to bed. Not cured, but better.