Just entering this most joyest time of my life!

Options
That, ladies, was sarcasm at it's best!!!! :laugh:

Weight gain - check; emotional roller coaster - check; feel like I am going insane - check and double check.

I just joined MFP to loose 80 pounds. I used to be able to loose weight easy, well that's over. Any words for the newbie on all accounts!!!

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know answers to some of these questions too! :sad: Welcome to the group!:smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hot flashes?
    Night sweats?

Those are my personal favorites. lol

I'm at the beginning too (although my period was 10 days late last month and until it came I just kept thinking: maybe that was it?? HA!)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Attitude is everything, in weight loss, life changes, and ...everything.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the funhouse!!

Words of encouragement:

1) If you log everything you put in your mouth and every movement (well, almost) you put your body through, you'll become accountable to yourself and the battle will be half won. Simply realizing and taking ownership of what you're doing to and for your body is the first step to taking control of formerly out-of-control (or just undesirable) behavior. You now have a tool to do that, so you're well on your way!

2) Exercising DOES get easier! I made a commitment to myself to do some sort of activity that I could log each and every day back in March. Aside from one week when I was sick-like-dog, I've stuck to that. Sometimes it was just cleaning the house or walking to the market. Other days it was a full-on gym session. But each day it was SOMETHING. That may be too much for you to commit to right away. Maybe twice a week is good for you -- that's excellent! Go for it, log it, and give yourself time to feel the difference before you give up. It's worth it!

3) Menopause is crappy. But it's less crappy when you're healthy then when you're not. Hurray for you for taking the initiative to do it in a healthy way! You win for making such a monumentous move toward your overall wellbeing.

:happy:
  • ferraroma
    ferraroma Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you....
  • bentwillow
    bentwillow Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm a few weeks into this journey. It's a huge challenge. The biggest thing I have learned so far is to drink lots and lots of water. My weight loss or lack there of has strongly correlated with how much water I'm drinking. I also have felt less hungry with properly hydrated.

Feel free to add me as a friend! I need all the support I can get and would love to also encourage others. :)
  • beckyschanging
    beckyschanging Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that so many of you are my age! I though I was too early for this miserable event. Well, if I am early, at least I have company! I skipped my last period, eating well, logging EVERYTHING, working out daily....in this first week (drum roll please) LOST 1 POUND! I am not a happy camper! Killing my self for 1 pound? I'll keep going but this is crazy!
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that so many of you are my age! I though I was too early for this miserable event. Well, if I am early, at least I have company! I skipped my last period, eating well, logging EVERYTHING, working out daily....in this first week (drum roll please) LOST 1 POUND! I am not a happy camper! Killing my self for 1 pound? I'll keep going but this is crazy!

Keep eating well and exercising. Be patient with the weight loss. It WILL be slow! But, in the long run you will see loss. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no loss and then lose a couple. It has taken me 1.5 years to lose almost 30 lbs but I don't feel as likely to gain it back as I did in the past.
  • Debutante55
    Debutante55 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad that your comment about "this most joyous time of life" was sarcasm. ... now I won't have to hit you. ;-)

Welcome to the group Ferraroma! My best advice is please don't get discouraged if your weight loss is slower than expected. Check out the thread "some thoughts on it's just math" in this forum and you'll see that everyone's menopause journey is unique. More importantly, sometimes no matter how diligent we are with our diet and exercise, seeing measurable results can take time. We all seem to agree that when it comes to dropping weight during menopause (or peri-menopause) there are MANY more factors at work than just "calories in, energy out"! We all have to try a lot of different things and see what works for us.
    No matter what, stick with it, drink TONS of water, and be patient. You WILL see results and in the meantime, tune in to the Group for motivation and support.
  • ferraroma
    Options
    LOL. Thanks for making me laugh.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    You've got a lot of "sisters" right there with you! There are a lot of frustrations to be sure. Hot flashes and the expanded middle are the worst for me. But I've also shifted my attitude a bit, too. I'm 53 years old. I really don't have to take BS from people anymore. I have three beautiful granddaughters, and I wouldn't trade being a grandma for the most beautiful body in the world. Sometimes I catch myself in the mirror and see a new wrinkle, roll, or someother "beauty that comes with age", and I remind myself, I'm someone's grandma. It's ok!
  • dorothymiriam
    Options
    I am with ferraroma! This weight loss thing used to be so much easier, but now, not so much. I have to lose this weight, though, because my health requires it--I have developed high blood pressure and I am pre-diabetic. I am actually tickled to death to have turned 50, but I want to enjoy this mid-later time in my life, so I gotta tune-up the machine! Thanks so much, for being here, ladies!
  • ferraroma
    Options
    I like your attitude Kate!
  • ferraroma
    Options
    Thank you everyone.... good to know not alone in this my prime!