Breafast Ideas? Also is snacking really that bad?

Options
lostalykat
lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
Ugg I feel like this is turning into an ordeal! I am kind of getting sick of eating eggs every day, even mixing it up with veggies, avocado or just straight up with bacon/ turkey bacon. What does everyone else do for breakfast? I kind of miss my oats!

Also I get hungry after a few hours so I snack every 3-4 hours I read that that is ideal to keep the metabolism going but when reading all the paleo stuff people say they only eat 2 times a day! :sad: I think I would die! I love food!

I do crossfit 3-5 days a week and I track my calories, I just want to be in the best shape and as healthy as possible! Does anyone have any advice?? I feel like I am freaking out about this stuff way too much.

Replies

• chelll224
    chelll224 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of eggs either, I usually make one of those atkins muffin in a minutes. Probably not strictly paleo, but it's flax, so at least it's not wheat.

And snacking is fine! Eat when you're hungry! Just make sure it's a good healthy snack. I eat fruit and nuts mostly. I keep a big jar of plain unroasted almonds in my desk drawer at work so I always have something I like around. I think the people who say they only eat 2 times a day eat big fat and protein filled meals, and they stay full from that for a long time.

If you're working out that often make sure you eat enough calories, mfp seems to want to put everybody at 1200 calories and that's just too low. There are a few good calculators out there that help you decide how much you should be eating. I used this one, it seems to make the most sense. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Eating paleo/primal can be a challenge, just do your best to choose healthy and you'll do fine! :smile:
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I just have a protein shake for breakfast then have an early lunch. Or you could just have dinner foods for breakfast. Eat leftovers from the day before or something. I used to eat cereal every morning, so the protein shake made with almond milk kinda gives me the same feeling as having had cereal. I can't eat eggs every day either, maybe once or twice a week, but that's it. I also get hungry every few hours, but I find if I ignore it it goes away. Rather than before when if I was hungry, I just got more hungry, weak, headachy. Now my stomach growls but thats about it. I do have snacks during the day if I need to, I just try not to eat any snacks after dinner.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I tend to do leftovers for breakfast. I know you're sick of eggs and I get sick of them too, but some leftover steak with a fried egg or two on top usually snaps me back into wanting eggs...plus a double dose of protein in the morning keeps me full for a while. I'm a snacker too and the way I see it is if you're hungry, eat. I keep macadamia nuts, packets of sunflower seeds, veggies and either a greek yogurt based dip or vinegar, beef jerky, etc in my desk or cold bag and have a small snack if I need one
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I keep pistachios and apples around for snacking. Breakfast is either an egg white/almond milk protein shake or if I'm proactive, a frittata that I reheat at work.

My problem is that I'm not hungry at lunch time, but I feel obligated to go with coworkers from a social perspective. I need to either adjust my eating schedule to be normal or just deal with the consequences of skipping it (not huge, but others think I'm weird).
  • Septlondon
    Septlondon Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have always found it difficult to eat in the mornings. I have decided to not fight it, and now have a mug of black coffee made from organic beans, with organic unsalted butter and organic coconut oil in it. I really enjoy this, although is seemed a bit odd at first. By lunch time I am ready to eat, but not especially hungry, and enjoy my meal.
  • wodforbacon
    Options
    I do pork chops, steak, vegetables...nothing saying eating leftovers from the night before is wrong just because it's not traditional "breakfast" food. I had some steak fajita lettuce wraps the other day for breakfast

for i guess more traditional breakfast, Almond flour pancakes and I make my own fruit spread from fresh (strawberries usually) which I use as syrup, or just plain fresh fruit is good too...some nitrite/nitrate free sausage or bacon...but usually I just go with 5 or 6 eggs and plenty of bacon.
  • McFelix57
    McFelix57 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love eggs so I am completely happy to have scrambled eggs and bacon every morning. However, to change things up, how about a smoothie? Just throw a fistful of fresh spinach into a blender with pretty much any fruit and you'll have delicious smoothie. You can't taste the spinach I promise! Frozen fruit helps make the consistency better, but if you use fresh fruit just add ice. I've used fresh grapes, apples, bananas, strawberries and frozen blueberries, mango, pineapple, raspberries, etc. You really can't go wrong.
  • McFelix57
    McFelix57 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Also, I've never heard of this two meal rule, so I definitely don't follow that. I have no problems with snacks - like others have said, fruit and nuts are good.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    2 meal rule - ummmm not here...

I usually have some form of breakfast - I try and get some protien in and some fat...doesn't have to be breakfast type foods like others have said - leftovers, someting other than eggs...I have had things like a small apple and some almond butter, guacamole and veggies sticks...

I usually have a mid morning snack (lately a serving of nuts)

Lunch

Mid afternoon snack - usually some fruit or guac with veggies sticks

Dinner

Evening snack if I am hungry (depends on what i ate for dinner) - maybe some berries or a few pork rinds
  • MaryMacAttack
    MaryMacAttack Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i almost always have a shake for breakfast, if i'm not that hungry i will just have a piece of fruit. it seems like over the past 2 months i have lost my interest in snacks but i certainly help myself to something healthy if i'm feeling hungry.
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Paleo apple banana muffins are good. I downloaded a paleo cookbook app and it has a lot of ideas.
  • mommyblessed7
    mommyblessed7 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Im having almost the opposite problem! I am having to eat more calories not to lose anymore weight. But I do smoothies at night to help add some cals. I eat salad , carrot sticks ,bacon some times a sweet potato , just depends on what I have hanging around. apples or a banana. I workout in the mornings so sometimes I just have my coffee with coconut milk (which has plenty of calories! and half a banana to keep me from passing out til I get home for a snack then lunch...So I definitely eat more than 2 meals a day lol more like 5-6 :D and snacks! You will be fine. It has taken me this Whole 30 just to establish the habit , now Im starting to play around with spices and make it more interesting!
    I cook my eggs in my salad dressing which is AWESOME! so maybe throwing some spice in there instead of just egg will help.