Please help.

Options
Jennacita
Jennacita Posts: 116 Member
Hi I still think I'm doing something incorrectly. My stats are 5'1,169, 41. I try to exercise 5-6 days a week. A mix of weights and cardio. I'm thinking of jumping up to 2300 calories. This would be my TDEE with moderate exercise. I also thought about 2550 which would be 6 days of strenuous exercise. The problem is I don't think I strenuously exercise.

I have lost 8lbs, and continue to bounce back the same 3lbs for months now. I have lost some inches but nothing significant IMO. Other then my workouts I would consider my self lightly active to sedentary. I stand a lot at work but there is not a lot of movement. I know that I need to work on consistency with my eating. On days when I'm not working and not on a schedule I tend to not eat. And other days I eat everything in sight. And I need to work on eating more protein.

Help I'm really not sure what my calories should be. Should I chose moderate or strenuous? Which ever it is my plan is to eat that amount with no cut value. My plan is TDEE - exercise calories. Not netting below 1500.

Replies

• Cmadridk
    Cmadridk Posts: 9
    Options
    I think we would need to know how many calories you burn per workout to determine if you are doing moderate or strenuous work.

I have mine at moderate, I work out about 10 hours per week but I rarely raise my heart rate by very much or sweat at all (unless it's a very humid Florida afternoon). That's how I have determined that my workouts aren't strenuous.
  • Cmadridk
    Cmadridk Posts: 9
    Options
    I just noticed your avatar LOL it's like youre talking to me...my hair and makeup are usually perfect after exercise. Again proving I am just doing "moderate" work.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Jenn ....how much u eating now? Bouncing up/down same pounds is commonly a classic sign of a stall. For me, I had to up calories to get unstuck. And , u may need to look tperhaps u r exercising too much. Maybe back down to 5 days, 2 days of rest. I'd choose moderate. Moderate TDEE, pull back on a bit of exercise. 10 -15% cut from TDEE . How many cals would that be up for you?? I'd try this for a month .
  • Jennacita
    Options
    I've looked back over my diary and I tend to range between 1700 and 2300 calories. Never eating lower then 1450 but I haven't eaten as high as 2800. My average calorie burn is between 200-500 at least four days a week. Two days a week I tend to have higher burns just due to more to exercise. My net calories are all over the board. From 1400's to in the 2000's. I know a big problem is consistency. Right now I'm set at 1900 trying not to eat exercise calories. 1950 is cut. 2300 - 15%. Four days a week my exercise is 30-60 minutes. And two days a week I will do up to 2 hours. Some cardio, weights and stretching. And I am not a pre planner when it comes to food. I eat what I want and try to make my choices 80/20. If I'm hungry I eat.
  • bethad5
    bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think we would need to know how many calories you burn per workout to determine if you are doing moderate or strenuous work.

I have mine at moderate, I work out about 10 hours per week but I rarely raise my heart rate by very much or sweat at all (unless it's a very humid Florida afternoon). That's how I have determined that my workouts aren't strenuous.

i usually do cardio for an hour at a time- i was doing 7 days a week originally, then went down to 6 days with two days of about 45 minutes, and this week will be my first week trying 5 days of an hour at a time. but the burns i get on the machine when i do an hour can be upward of 800- and yesterday, doing 40 minutes on the arc trainer had me at 584. what do you think the calorie level is to decide moderate vs strenuous? if i burn 840 cals doing an hour of cardio, x5 that's over 4000 burn... is the '5-6 hours of strenuous activity' level accurate?
  • helened
    helened Posts: 42
    Options
    Hi Jenn,

Just a couple of thoughts. As you know, consistency is my downfall also.

If you are struggling with setting your activity level and you use a HRM, you can use those numbers. So if your sedentary TDEE is 1850 and your exercise is (per you description 2 @ 250 calories, 2@ 500 calories and 2@750 calories) for a total of 3000 calories burned per week, this averages out to a little over 400 calories per day over the week. So your TDEE factoring out your exercise is 1850+400 = 2250 per day which is close to the 2300 you were at before cut. Using the values from your HRM allows you not worry too much about the activity level you chose on the calculator.

There are several ways to go at this. The inconsistent me who wants to be consistent would like to eat the same everyday (2300 or less if you want to factor in a cut). On the other hand, there is something appealing about eating more on the days you burn more, especially if they involve weight training as you need to repair your muscle and need fuel for this.

I like HarlaJen's suggestion as well to cut back the exercise. It would be different for your body and anything different is good. (plus a lot of cardio send hormonal signals which tend to make your body hand on to fat). On the days you don't workout, you could go for a longish (40-60 mn) fast walk first thing in the morning (low intensity fasted is supposed to dig into the fat stores, but not high intensity which will make you use your muscles).

Now, if only I could apply all this to myself......
  • Jennacita
    Options
    I just checked my fitbit for the past week. On days I didn't wear my fitbit it gave me an estimated burn of 1950. That matches my TDEE of 2300-15% for my activity level of 3-5 days moderate activity. I guess I really need to work on the CONSISTENCY problem I have. I feel like every post I have said the word if I repeat it enough my brain will catch on. I think I'm going to hang out at 2300 calories. And not worry about exercise calories. 2300 being my high and not netting below 1500. If I could eat as consistently as I exercise I'd be on to something.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone. Even anyone has more suggestions keep them coming.
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hi Jenn,

Just a couple of thoughts. As you know, consistency is my downfall also.

If you are struggling with setting your activity level and you use a HRM, you can use those numbers. So if your sedentary TDEE is 1850 and your exercise is (per you description 2 @ 250 calories, 2@ 500 calories and 2@750 calories) for a total of 3000 calories burned per week, this averages out to a little over 400 calories per day over the week. So your TDEE factoring out your exercise is 1850+400 = 2250 per day which is close to the 2300 you were at before cut. Using the values from your HRM allows you not worry too much about the activity level you chose on the calculator.

There are several ways to go at this. The inconsistent me who wants to be consistent would like to eat the same everyday (2300 or less if you want to factor in a cut). On the other hand, there is something appealing about eating more on the days you burn more, especially if they involve weight training as you need to repair your muscle and need fuel for this.

I like HarlaJen's suggestion as well to cut back the exercise. It would be different for your body and anything different is good. (plus a lot of cardio send hormonal signals which tend to make your body hand on to fat). On the days you don't workout, you could go for a longish (40-60 mn) fast walk first thing in the morning (low intensity fasted is supposed to dig into the fat stores, but not high intensity which will make you use your muscles).

Now, if only I could apply all this to myself......

So if I get my HRM on Wed so I can accurately determine my daily exercise burns over the course of a week I can get an avg daily burn, add it to sedentary TDEE and get an accurate look at my actual TDEE without all this guessing which level I belong in?! Where have you been all my life (or since May 16)?!?
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Hi Jenn,
    I think you would be an excellent candidate for a metabolism reset for about 6-8 weeks. Hope saying that doesnt freak you out too much, but I really think it could be a good thing to kind of reset things for you. Watching your workouts, I'd say you fall into the very active category, but I would always say round up instead of round down. If the numbers really freak you out, I think you could average the moderate and very active levels and be just fine.

My metabolism reset has been going great and I'm confident that positive changes are around the corner. I came to this decision because I was stalling too. Keep me posted on what you decide!

Becca:)
  • TonyaBtrfly
    TonyaBtrfly Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    bump
  • helened
    Options
    @DaysFlyBy: LOL. This guessing of level seems to be driving everyone crazy and yet when we get gadgets, they all say the same thing we got for free on calculators such as scooby. But somehow, seeing a gadget that seems tailored to us and which gives us the number seems to give us more confidence. I think it is good to remember that even the gadget use formulas that are averaged over different users and do well under different conditions. (Fitbit not good for high intensity weight training, BodyMedia doesn't see spinning as the activity that it is). HRMs seem to be pretty good because you heart rate goes up with exertion, no matter what the exercise. Weight training gives a slightly lower burn but if you really push the weights, it will go up.

I guess the point for a lot of us is that none of these details matter if we haven't been consistent, because if you haven't been consistent then it's hard to monitor progress and to know if you need to change something.

If I am correct by the way, Kiki doesn't even have an HRM. :wink:

I do want to say though that I like my fitbit because it encourages me to move more (trying to walk 10,000 steps everyday) and I really like having an HRM because I like to see where my heart rate is, especially on the high intensity work. Sometimes, I won't start up again unless my heart rate has recovered a bit so it comes in handy for that.

@Jenn, by the way, I don't know if this is your case, but I like to have a full belly. It seems to prevent binging some. So I have been bulking my meals with a lot more green vegetables. Maybe at menopause my hormones will level and all will fall into place. Only 10 years or so to go. :laugh:

@Becca: I have been following what you are doing. I am still too chicken :sad: but I think that's what I need to do as well.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My apologies for hijacking, but I'm also having a problem determining whether I've got the right setting for my TDEE (presently 1957). I set my activity to moderate, doing weights/HIIT 3x week and running 2-3 miles 2x a week. I generally burn 220-250 calories (per HRM) per session. I started doing a full reset, then went on vacation and, even though I was logging, I wasn't eating as much as I needed to. I started over again last Monday and doing much better. I just need to know that I'm doing this right.

My stats are:

Weight: 135 (would like to lose 15-20 lbs or achieve 20% BF)
    BF: 26.2% (as per fat2fitradio)
    Height: 4'10.5"

I used the scoobyworkshop calculator to determine TDEE. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Based on moderate activity, I came up with 1736 calories for your TDEE goal on scooby.
    Im gonna venture a guess here though, and say you are a little more active than moderate. Would you say you are working out more than 5 hours per week? If you are, you need to bump your activity level up to very active (dont let the name trip you up) which gives you 1932 calories. I would say you probably fall somewhere in between those categories, so it may not be a bad idea to average those two numbers.
  • helened
    Options
    @Phoenix59. Your numbers look right to me for a reset. depending on the type of Hiit and weight training, your exercise might be in between moderate and a little higher (because of the Hiit and weights). Are you doing 3x total for weights and Hiit or 3x each. If it's three times each, you can bump up your activity level or take out one of the Hiits and replace with walking or low intensity. Make sure you eat as nutritious as possible and get enough protein in your diet to recover from all the exercise. Good luck.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    @Phoenix59. Your numbers look right to me for a reset. depending on the type of Hiit and weight training, your exercise might be in between moderate and a little higher (because of the Hiit and weights). Are you doing 3x total for weights and Hiit or 3x each. If it's three times each, you can bump up your activity level or take out one of the Hiits and replace with walking or low intensity. Make sure you eat as nutritious as possible and get enough protein in your diet to recover from all the exercise. Good luck.

Thank you for your help!

I do 3 of each (heavy weights first, then HIIT) on the same day (Mon-Wed-Fri) and run the 2-3 miles on Tues-Thurs. I do eat as clean as possible (most of the time), but my diary's open and if there's anything I should tweak, please let me know.