Last 10 Stubborn Pounds?

Options
hark15
hark15 Posts: 148 Member
Anyone out there trying to lose their last 10 pounds? Whenever the subject comes up and I mention I am trying to lose more weight people tell me I am being ridiculous - but then I see pics of lots of you on here and would LOVE to look that good in a bikini! So i am amped to make it happen. Just discovered this group and was wondering if there are others out there trying to lose 10 pounds or less to get to their goal weigh. I've lost 10 pounds already and my goal weight is set to lose 8 more. I'll see how I feel once I get there and what my body fat % looks like.

Could use more motivated people to help deal with the plateaus and for some good tips!

Replies

• i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am in that boat. I am 5'9" and 137-139 depending on the day. My girlfriends think I am crazy to want to lose more fat but that is why I surround myself with awesome MFP gals who are trying to take it up a step. I did a BodPod test and it told me I am at 26% BF (which came as a shock - I expected 24%). My goal is to get down in the 21-22% range which would require losing another 6 lbs. of fat - hopefully while building or maintaining my LBM.

Now the question is - how the heck am I going to do that?
  • hark15
    Options
    Wow! It looks like you are in great shape but I can understand about the body fat % thing. My trainer wanted to make that the focus of my training (I signed up for 7 weeks) instead of pure weight loss. I started with him at 157 and 27% body fat. I am excited to see where I'm at next week at my last session! As of now I'm down to 153 - I had hoped to get down to 150 but it hasn't been happening for me. I am about 5'8".

I'd also ideally like to get down into the 21-22% range. What are you thoughts to getting down there? Diet changes? Workout adjustments?
  • i_miss_donuts
    Options
    I am lucky that I don't carry weight in my abs. I do have a nice pad of fat around my hips and covering my glutes though - but I don't want to see that in my profile pic!:laugh:

I have tried both the 1200 calorie route (didn't lose and was hungry all the time) and the eating at maintenance for where I want to be route (1750 gross - not worrying about net) which also didn't work. Now, I am thinking that my macros are off and I need to really back off on carbohydrates and focus on upping my fat while eating fewer calories overall. I have put my calories down to my BMR of 1380 and will eat back exercise calories when I feel I need them. I have been lifting heavy (New Rules of Lifting 4 Women) and doing two days of high intensity interval training and one day of steady state cardio (3-4 miles). I am going to do this for the next two weeks and see if I can move the needle because up until this point my other strategies have not resulted in a measurable loss on the scale or with a measuring tape. :angry:

Sorry I am not a big help! I think finding the right formula that works for you is the key and that while the basic premise (burn more than you eat) may be the same - how you arrive at it is very individual. Eating 1200 also didn't work for me (the low road). Unfortunately, the "high road" that seems to have worked for MANY people on here (eat more to weigh less) has not worked for me - and I gave it two months. Now I will try the middle road! Add me as a friend and you can keep an eye on me to see how this latest strategy turns out! :smile:
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I am in that boat. I am 5'9" and 137-139 depending on the day. My girlfriends think I am crazy to want to lose more fat but that is why I surround myself with awesome MFP gals who are trying to take it up a step. I did a BodPod test and it told me I am at 26% BF (which came as a shock - I expected 24%). My goal is to get down in the 21-22% range which would require losing another 6 lbs. of fat - hopefully while building or maintaining my LBM.

Now the question is - how the heck am I going to do that?

Exercise, not eating over your maintenance, getting plenty of protein (1 g per kg of body weight), and MORE exercise. :wink:
    You can do it!
  • i_miss_donuts
    Options
    Thanks JSA - I tend to get 12,000-16,000 steps per day, plus biking through my lifting and HIIT work and steady state cardio. If my fitbit is to be trusted my TDEE is between 2300-2600 and I have been eating around 1750. With my deficit I should have lost 5 lbs over the past month, but alas I have lost nada.
  • i_miss_donuts
    Options
    OP - have you read this? I did the military BF calculator that he recommends on fat2fitradio and it was spot on.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • hark15
    Options
    PP - thanks for the tip, I'll have to check that out.

Have you been eating 1750 net or total? I think its net intake that matters. I upped my net intake so that I take in a net of at least 1200 calories a day (I really try to get close to my 1350 daily allowance - but in a healthy way). Its harder when you work out a lot, but obviously working out is healthy. I was in a plateau and managed to eek out of it by eating a bit more. Good luck!
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump
  • i_miss_donuts
    Options
    1750 total. I find it hard to eat that much and not eat too many carbs.

Have you been eating 1750 net or total? I think its net intake that matters. I upped my net intake so that I take in a net of at least 1200 calories a day (I really try to get close to my 1350 daily allowance - but in a healthy way). Its harder when you work out a lot, but obviously working out is healthy. I was in a plateau and managed to eek out of it by eating a bit more. Good luck!
  • hark15
    Options
    1750 total. I find it hard to eat that much and not eat too many carbs.

You do a good job with it though - limiting carb intake and still getting close to your total goal. I think its hard when it comes to fruit though. I was looking at my general stats and my sugar intake is pretty high - but I eat a lot of apples and they have about 16 grams of sugar! Do you worry about your other intake or do you just focus on total cals? I carry some extra weight in my tummy and I think maybe reducing sugar would help beat off those pounds? But I don't want to increase carb intake.

One more question - do you only do 1750 total when you workout that day? Or every day? I think that if I don't work out that would be waay too many calories but our TDEEs are similar.

Thanks!
  • i_miss_donuts
    Options
    I've been doing 1750 regardless of workout focusing on total calories for the week. I am seeing that I need to switch up some fruit for veggies and probably add in protein shakes. If nutrients are part of the problem, limiting sugars and focusing on the healthiest carbs possible while upping protein might be part of the solution.
  • balancedhealth
    Options
    Same boat! Just started Insanity today. Will also focus on healthy eating. Hoping it leans me out.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    This last 8-10 pounds are hangingono me for dear life! I starred exercising and watching my diet about 4 mths, I'm seeing progress tho, couple of people complimented I do look slimmer, I believe I've dropped about 2-4 pounds. I'm getting my waist back, and the flab on the bum are starting to reduce. It's still a lot of work, upping my fruits, replacing some complex carbo like white rice and bread which are my main staple, doing weights twice a week. Started with keeping at 1200 but always hungry, and decided to up my intake as I exercised more vigorously. Still working on finding the right balance to lose those last few pounds. Will be glad to have another friend to support or give support to.
  • balancedhealth
    Options
    Be careful on increasing the fruits - lots of sugar. Treat fruits like dessert and up you veggies instead.
  • crd314
    crd314 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You have almost the same stats as I do! I started at 162, and now I'm stuck at 152. I can't seem to ever get past 150. My goal weight is the same as yours too, 145! I'm exercising 6 days a week, 3 days of just cardio and 3 days of some cardio and some strength training. I seem to gain and lose the same 2 pounds depending on the time of the month, going 151 to 153 even if I don't change anything else. I think I need to add in some high intensity intervals to help get past this. I'm starting a basketball league one night a week on Tuesday, so I think that will help with the intensity some.

Good luck to you getting in shape for your wedding! It's great to start off a marriage in a healthy place!
  • Hungryalf
    Hungryalf Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    9lb to go too. Finding it difficult but advice on MFP seems to be to up the exercise, I tend to only exercise at the weekends and have a desk job full time which doesn't help things. Feel free to add me as a friend - would be good! Best of luck and keep going :)