Any tips?

Options
Does anyone have any tips as to what they do to keep from eating at night? I'll do really good all day and once I'm off work at 11pm, i'll stop at huddle house and get a waffle with coffee with half and half. I know, just don't go there but I HAVE to, it calls my name. Do ya'll have any recipes you enjoy as a night snack, something to look forward to when I come home from work?

Replies

• myrabrand1
    myrabrand1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You know, eating at night is a problem for me too. I have tried this week though to really drink more water. It is helping some.
  • myrabrand1
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am back from being very sick. Still a little under the weather, but much better. Sorry, I have not been here for you. I hope that this community really will take off and be a great place for us with this problem can come and find support.
  • overthehill4567
    overthehill4567 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also get off work @ 2300hrs & more often than not come home, pig out & go to bed....even when I tell myself I'm not hungry my stomach will growl.
    For the past few days at 2100hrs I have been trying to have some form of protein,,,usually 3-4oz so I won't be hungry. It seems to work, however I am in such a habit of eating as soon as I get in the door I am finding that a challenge to change. So now this week I am trying to think of things to do instead of eating (I am not hungry, it is just habit)...some thoughts are having a bath, making a cup of tea (decaf), not having any carbs in the house, situps on the bosu ball while watching tv.
    I'll let you know how it goes for me by next week. :smile:
  • Forward36
    Options
    I have an absolutely terrible time with this! There is a couple things I do to get past it. If I watch TV at night I make myself watch it in bed instead of on the couch. If I am sitting on the couch (especially after everyone is in bed) I am way more likely to chow down some serious calories. Also, I make tea at night, preferably chamomile with a little honey. It's nice and warm and makes for a good bedtime routine. I know at the end of the day, I get that yummy tea and my body naturally knows that it's time for me to wind down. Plus the tea is a natural relaxer. The only down side is if you have a small bladder. Just don't make a huge cup. :) The other thing I do is crochet. If I keep my hands busy, I don't eat. I am not great at it (hats and scarves and such) but it gives me something to focus on. GODD LUCK!!! You can do this!!
  • myrabrand1
    Options
    Protein works for me too. JUst so bad though because I am such a chip eater! I have it in the house for my kids lunches, and it is so hard at night for me. If it is not chips, most likely it would be something else. Water works sometimes too, though I really don't want it.
  • oriolesfan
    oriolesfan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good group - what I need. Night eating is absolutely the hardest for me. I can eat pretty well all day long - reasonable meals, small snacks to keep from feeling too hungry, etc. But once night comes all bets are off. I'll eat more calories easily from 10:00pm to 1:00am than I will the rest of the day, and then I purge a good portion of it. So a couple of bad habits. Sometimes I'm really hungry, but more often it's an emotional thing - food is my friend and no matter what challenges I've had that day I know I can look forward to spending time with my "friend" in the evening. After I'm done eating I'm mad at myself and I tell myself tomorrow will be different. Intellectually I know exactly what's going on, but emotionally I can't stop - maybe I don't really want to stop. Anyone else face something similar and beat it?
  • metalchickita
    Options
    I also do very good during the day, but really really bad come night! There was a time when locking the food in the closet worked. But usually I would just find the key and get the food out. Now I sorta stopped caring and it became a part of me. Now I'm fed up with gaining all the weight I did and now I want to quit for good. The tea thing sounds good with honey. It sounds like a good way to trick the body that you're havin somethin sweet! Also heard hard candy and gum can be good too... if only I had some around the house...
  • prettymorbidity
    prettymorbidity Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Night eating is the worst. Just like all of you, I can do really good all day long but then at night I overeat. I will eat a nice meal, and then, i can't stop. I go back for seconds and often finish what is there just so i don't have leftovers. and then my pitfal is gummies. any kind. especially sour patch kids. i will eat a WHOLE BIG BAG almost everynight. I have gotten to where i have tried to quit eating like this but can't so i become guitly. im beginning to consider going to the bathroom to throw it up. i don't want to be bulemic, but its a constant battle everynight after i eat. "you shouldn't have eaten all that.....you should go throw it up" - then "no! don't throw it up!" then "maybe i could just do it a couple times to lose some weight and stop " then "no don't do it!" .....so far i haven't purged. but im bordeline wanting too. HELP......... i liked the lady that said to knit or crochet instead of eating....ive always wanted to learn to do it.......i just wanna stop feeling so fat and ugly all the time.
  • cdswicky
    cdswicky Posts: 43
    Options
    I have suffered with night bingeing for awhile now. My main problem is that I don't eat enough "good" calories during the day, so by the time I get home from the gym, I'm famished. I sometimes eat a little snack of pretzels, then eat a healthy dinner. But of course I truly am still hungry because I didn't eat enough during the day. So then I would move onto what I considered my dessert. Air popped popcorn with any type of chewy candy I could get my hands on, ie: twizzler's, swedish fish, or mini 3 muskateers, you get the picture. I would eat until my stomach would actually hurt. It would all be low calorie, low fat, but way too much. Then the next morning I would feel so guilty and wouldn't really eat much til the middle of the day...starting the dreadful cycle all over. I used to say to myself, well I can have another bowl of fat free frozen yogurt, because I didn't eat much at all today....

Now since joining myfitnesspal, I am starting to break this cycle little by little. Here are some suggestions that seem to be working for me and may help you too:

Break the division of your food diary up into...breakfast, morning snack, lunch, late afternoon snack, dinner and dessert. Now I need to mention that I really am just maintaining my weight, but in my oppinion, this would probably be a healthy practice regardless of your goal weight. This way you force yourself to eat a little during the day, and by the end of the day when night comes...you get one dessert...choose wisely. Also I've picked 8 pm as my cut off time...I go in and floss and brush and swish mouthwash...I'm so lazy that I don't want to have to do it all over again and I hate going to bed with filmy teeth...so to be honest it's been working....after I brush it's done...nothing else to eat, but water or hot tea with nothing in it.

Hope this helps. It's a constant struggle..and now I need to continue this battle and try to conquer my obsession with the scale. Any thoughts? I have to stop getting on the scale all the time...like 3 times a day sometimes more. I'm so afraid of gaining weight. The scale has too much power over me...help!
  • cdswicky
    cdswicky Posts: 43
    Options
    Although bingeing in any way shape or form isn't a good thing, maybe you could just modify what you're doing little by little like I have. For instance, eat air popped popcorn with a little gummies. The popcorn will cure your craving for compulsively putting something in your mouth and might even fill you up. You could put raisins in with the popcorn instead of the gummies for less calories and a little nutrition. Now ultimately the quantity of food has to be addressed, but starting to eat healthier even if it's too much, may be a good start. I don't pretend to be a doctor, but just trying to be supportive. I've been there and it's horrible.
  • emptyinside
    emptyinside Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good group - what I need. Night eating is absolutely the hardest for me. I can eat pretty well all day long - reasonable meals, small snacks to keep from feeling too hungry, etc. But once night comes all bets are off. I'll eat more calories easily from 10:00pm to 1:00am than I will the rest of the day, and then I purge a good portion of it. So a couple of bad habits. Sometimes I'm really hungry, but more often it's an emotional thing - food is my friend and no matter what challenges I've had that day I know I can look forward to spending time with my "friend" in the evening. After I'm done eating I'm mad at myself and I tell myself tomorrow will be different. Intellectually I know exactly what's going on, but emotionally I can't stop - maybe I don't really want to stop. Anyone else face something similar and beat it?

Wow - I feel exactly the same way..... Have not found the answer yet.