How many calories do you shorties eat?

Options
Cazzy34
Cazzy34 Posts: 159 Member
Hey Shorties,

I'm 5'2" and MFP set me to 1200 calories a day, but i don't lose very much weight or if i do its very very slowly eating this number of cals.... I tried the whole eat more to lose more but that doesn't work for me either, i just gain weight.

I was wondering if any of you eat less than the recommended 1200?

Thanks, Cazzy :)

Replies

• bluefairy1
    bluefairy1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" as well and MVP put me at 1200 cals but I have a good friend who is a nutritionist and she has put me at 1300-1500 cals per day for weight loss. I have been doing a lot of research and they all say DO NOT go below 1200 per day
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    5'3", 1500 calories. Lifting and maintaining but losing very slowly.
  • kcorcoran4
    Options
    MFP set me at 1200 calories too--but that was too low for me. I set it at 1700 calories and I lost 3 lbs in the first week---without adding any exercise in--that starts this week!

5 feet 1 here.
  • tinytemple
    tinytemple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    5'1" (just) and 1200 calories but i'll usually eat a bit more when I work out.
    I try to eat pretty low carb, under 90, as that seems to be the only way I can lose any weight other than eating less than 800 calories! (this time last year i was frequently eating under 500 and fasting, I lost weight but got ill and put it back on so I really don't want to go down that road again!)
    I keep thinking about trying the eat more to weigh less strategy but whenever I unintentionally over-eat i definitely do no lose weight... argh, so damn tricky!!
  • mystinamarie
    mystinamarie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    5'4" and MFP has me at 1200 calories. Do NOT go under that, it's the lowest anybody, anywhere recommends. Your body needs that MINIMUM just to function (brain, digestive system, organs, etc)
    I usually end up eating about 1300-1500 by the time I eat back my exercise calories.

If you eat too low calorie for too long you're going to completely stall out your metabolism. It sounds like that's usually what happens to you, and why you put it right back on so quickly.

Try to switch it up and do a few weeks of 1200, then a few weeks of 1400. And make sure to eat back your exercise calories!
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am 5 feet flat AND am 23 years older than you. I did a LOT of research and finally landed at a TDEE of 1810 calories, I set MFP below that to lose weight at 1448 calories/day. This means I had to learn to eat more than I was accustomed to but I eat very clean but believe in eating everything in moderation. I do not use any sugar or fat substitutes. I just eat good stuff. If I eat below 1200 it is by accident and poor planning. Since I have started eating more I am not tired or hungry.

To make the same calculations for yourself please see references in my profile.

Although my badge below tracks weight loss I would very much rather track fat %/lean body mass change - and I do in my own records. I have some early proof of progress in the photos below. When I am at goal I will not be skinny fat, I will be lean, strong, fit, and defined - and looking much more healthy.

I eat to fuel my body, to give me energy to get through my crazy day, to allow me to exercise (HIIT on an ARC trainer 5-6 times/week), and to allow me to lift heavy weights. The weight training helps to continually burn fat and helps to show definition.

Eating below 1200 does not work for me. Eating more does.

These photos start with my first week on MFP April 22, 2012. The second is from today - just 2 months. My weight has not shifted much but the composition of my body is changing just the way I want it too! But, clearly, I need new bikini bottoms!! :)

Slide1-3.jpg
    Slide2-2.jpg
  • lizzy00125
    lizzy00125 Posts: 138
    Options
    5 foot 3 over here and the lowest I ate was 1400 and I would eat most of my exercise calories back. Most of my weight loss happened when I was eating around 1600 + exercise calories. I am maintaining now by averaging about 2200 calories a day.
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    5 foot 3 over here and the lowest I ate was 1400 and I would eat most of my exercise calories back. Most of my weight loss happened when I was eating around 1600 + exercise calories. I am maintaining now by averaging about 2200 calories a day.

Go for it Lizzie!!! I want to be where you are and am eating more to get there. Amazing change in thinking for me.
  • tashhast
    tashhast Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have my base intake at 1200. but if i exercise i eat that back. I find i only lose weight if i exercise.
    I didnt execise and ate around 1200 for a month and didnt lose a single pound..
    but my body responds really well to strengh training and clean eating!

p.s i'm 5'1
  • iconnor
    iconnor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Wow, DyanCB, you really toned your legs there! Good job!
  • masumaj
    masumaj Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    hi everyone
    im new to this group...

i eat around 900 cals a day...but just learned that i need to up my cals to 1200 to a minimum

but what is tdee and how does that help in weight loss....what are you calculating and basing your intake on?
  • madelinemcgee
    madelinemcgee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 4' 11'' and eat 1,510 a day, but anytime I work out I always eat at least 100 more! The key is to not eat crap that's going to stick with you for all but 2 seconds, but fruits and veggies and protein that will stay with you for hours and hours! :) Eat what God made, not what man made. Don't go under 1,200 though. I agree with everyone on here that for the body to function properly it must be supplied and your body will only go into starvation mode if you do indeed starve it. Just eat more, work out more and get a healthy balance of the two and you're on the road to success. :)
    Feel free to friend me on here! I love having others I can relate to that share the same passion I do and if you need any tips let me know! :)

Madeline
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and maintaining my weight of 100 pounds by eating around 1950 to 2100 (often more). When I ate 1800 to 1900 I lost weight. I have an active lifestyle, but do not exercise just for a calorie burn at all. I walk a lot, I'm a dancer and I lift weights 3 days a week.
  • alliem3
    alliem3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi there, new here, for me, I'm 5'0 and 158lbs, i've gone from 166 to 155 in the last 18 months by weight watchers, but always hungry ..i've found that 1300 calories is perfect for me so far, i'm still trying to get to 130lbs but i'm not going to kill myself over it...moderate excercise, i know I should do more..but working through it little by little...
  • I'm 5'2" and have used the 1,000 calories per day for the last 10 months. I have lost 134 lbs and have checked heart rate, blood pressure, general health closely to make sure I wasn't affecting my overall health... It has worked great and I haven't been sick since I changed my diet to a healthier one with 2 hr work outs 5 times a week :smile:
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I maintain at about 1600-1700 and lose slowly under 1500.

(5`2.5" and 124 lbs--size 4)
  • Kathrynrbg
    Kathrynrbg Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am 5´4" CW 117 lbs. For losing 1/2 lb. /wk MFP gives me 1400 calories + exercise.
    On lazy days i burn 1700 calories on workout days 2100 cals.
    I eat an average of 1500 calories, some days more and some days less, and is giving me good results.
  • VanillaSmile427
    Options
    I'm 4' 11".. loosing 6lbs/month on 1200-1340 ... 1200 was too little.. 1300 is definitely more sustainable for me :)
  • DrCla
    DrCla Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm 5'2" rounding up and set at 1200 calories a week. Eating so little is KILLING me...its so hard not to binge, but if I eat much more than 1200 my progress is too slow and I get frustrated. As it is I usually go over to 1400 or so. I've increased the calories I burn exercising and that helps significantly, but its really frustrating at how little I can eat.
  • lisavgagne
    lisavgagne Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    In general, 1400 calories is pretty easy for me when I actively am watching my diet and really trying. I am not sure how MFP comes up w/ 1200. When I use another tracking app I was always in the 1350-1400 range depending on my activity level.