Aim of the Reset?

Options
kazzsjourney
kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
With the reset are we actually wanting a gain? Or maintain our weight? I'm on day 4 I've gained 700 grams is this inline with what I should expect/want? Or is this a indication I may have my TDEE set to high?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    With the reset are we actually wanting a gain? Or maintain our weight? I'm on day 4 I've gained 700 grams is this inline with what I should expect/want? Or is this a indication I may have my TDEE set to high?

Thanks in advance :)

Im not entirely sure how much 700g compares to pounds, but I would really recommend staying away from the scale for at least a few weeks. Most people do gain some weight in the beginning, and its is kind of something that is unavoidable when upping calories (sorry). It seems though, that over time, these gains level out or go away, and most people are not up more than 5 lbs. during the reset. On average, everyone's different, and I think alot of that depends on your dieting history and the severity of your calorie reduction.

We have to remember though, that the goal of the reset isnt really weight related. Its purpose is to heal a metabolism that has been hurt by severe calorie restriction, to set us up for future long term success.

Hang in there, the first two weeks are the hardest. It does get easier.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I am actually okay with the loss (am a daily weigher that wont change lol) 700 grams is a lil over 1 pound....I guess what Im wanting to know...is how do we know when its working? Is it when we plateau out and stabilise? Ive been on this weight loss journey quite consistently for nearly 6 years altho often eating around 1800 cals but still expecting a gain.
  • theostlerscat
    theostlerscat Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am going on a year of slowly increasing my calories from 1200 to 2000. I started in February of last year and increased very slowly. I was afraid to just eat the calories that the calculations suggested. I had 30 years of eating disorders and starvation diets and over-exercising. I was terrified and I think I made a mistake by going slow because I have put on 15 pounds making slow tweaks to my plan instead of just committing to it.

I watched a video the other day that has given me some resolve, "pick a plan and stick to it", it motivated me to push up to 2000 calories per day and I have been lifting heavy for over a week now and I am feeling myself change for the better now. I am heavier but I don't feel myself getting fatter anymore.

I sought out a mentor/partner, I decided on a plan, and I am sticking to it. I am recovering from a lifetime of self-abuse, I accept the weight gain and I trust that this is the right thing to do.

Don't fear the weight, just get healthy and strong. If you feel in 6months or a year that you are not better off, you can always "diet" again.

I believe that the aim of the reset is to get my body to accept a reasonable amount of food and exercise as normal. This is in contrast to my usual weight control method which is starvation (1000-1200 cal) and over-exercising (1.5-3 hours/day @ 5 days). I understand that at some point, probably when I stabilize, then I can cut back 15% of my calories for short periods (4 weeks at a time) and if it works properly, I will loose fat. That is as far as I have gotten in my understanding so far. Maybe someone could elaborate.

That is how I feel and what I know (not much). I could use some more education in this regard as well.