New Member, trying to find my place...

Options
tpcockrell
tpcockrell Posts: 6 Member
Hi! I just recently found my fitness pal, and I think I have finally found the way I want to do this. I was doing weight watchers online for a bit, but this seems to me to be keeping me more in touch with the actual food I am eating and how my exercise affects what I can eat. I have been overweight since my teen years, and I am now 40 years old. I have four children and I realized that if I didn't do something permanent (ie: not a DIET) I would never get fit and healthy and probably wouldn't live to see my grandchildren. I was getting heavier and heavier and saw no end to it. I started this journey february 25th of this year, weighing in at 242 pounds and something like 40bmi. My goal is to lose 100 pounds and get to 142, which I have not seen since grade 10. The difference this time is that I started exercising before I even started to change my eating. Exercise has always been such a huge issue for me because 1) I hate to sweat and 2) I hate to be hot and 3) I live in Georgia. It is hard to exercise and not be hot in Georgia. Well, I joined a low cost gym near my house and just DECIDED I was going to learn to love exercise. I realized that without exercise my volume eater self was never going to be able to lose weight and keep it off. I decided I had to make this a lifestyle change and not think of any of it as a temporary thing. So I started doing the treadmill three days a week, and strength training two days a week. Recently I joined the "biggest loser" challenge at my gym, and I am currently in the lead!!! I have lost 30 pounds since that first weigh in and I have 70 more to go. I keep two giant pickle jars. I filled the one with 100 stones. everytime I lose a pound I transfer a rock to the second jar. I keep them on the mantle and it gives me a daily visual reminder of how far I've come and how far I have left to go. It keeps me motivated. I haven't learned to LOVE exercise yet, but I have learned to appreciate my sweat, and love the way exercise makes me FEEL. I've even craved exercise a few times. I believe I'm getting there! I could really use some new friends on the same journey who understand how hard it is to give up old habits and to change your tastebuds (I'm a sugar addict, and trying to cut back on sugar and learn to taste food differently has been so hard), but who will support my good decisions and encourage me when I make poor ones to get back on track. I want so badly for this to be the time that my lifestyle changes for good, and I don't gain the weight back. Can we be friends and support each other?

Replies

• lissa0040
    lissa0040 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Wow! Welcome! I LOVE the idea about the rocks and the pickle jars. I too have been heavy for a long time it gets really old. I am trying the same thing you are doing --- not thinking of it as a diet but a lifestyle forever change. It is hard sometimes to break free of the old habits but it does help to have support when things are good and not so good. We try and cheer each other on and do weekly challenges and if you are already walking and working out it might be nice for you to join in. Look forward to getting to know you better.

Melissa
  • tpcockrell
    Options
    Nice to meet you! If you go to my blog at www.melancholychild.blogspot.com you can see my pickle jars! I actually have verycute, Inspiring labels on them. The labels speak to how I don't want to lose the weight as that implies I might want to find it again! Im chronicling my whole journey on there if you:flowerforyou: are interested. I'm thrilled to get to know you better in the coming months as we fight the good fight together!
  • sarita66
    sarita66 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! You have found your niche here. This is a great group. I also have a stone jar. I use colored stones and move them into another jar as I lose weight. It is a nice visual. Join in on the challenges they really help keep you motivated.
    Good luck!
  • tpcockrell
    Options
    I'm looking forward to seeing what the next challenge is. I seemed to have joined too late for the last one, although I did meet their goals :) . I'm down another 2.4 pounds this week :) wahooo!
  • ruthmiriam
    ruthmiriam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm new here too, and would love to have some additional support! Your story sounds similar to mine...I started this journey around March, at 240 pounds, and I am also trying to lose 100 pounds. I also started exercising first, with Zumba Fitness Rush on Xbox Kinect. I discovered I really enjoyed it, I love to dance and that is pretty much what it is. For the first time in my life I enjoyed exercising! It was amazing! When I realized my clothes were getting looser, I decided that if I changed my eating habits too I may actually be successful losing weight for the first time in my life. I've been using MFP to track my calories and exercise, and I also started a blog, at http://zumbamybuttoff.wordpress.com/

I actually do Zumba every day...I feel like once I've done the exercise and put it into MFP, it makes it easier to stick with healthy eating because I don't want to waste all my hard work.

Looking forward to getting to know people here!
  • BCsurvivor1962
    BCsurvivor1962 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I too have at least 100 lbs to lose! I am on the way. I just recently started exercising. We can take our journey together! I love the jar idea and am going to do that this weekend! I have only lost 7lbs but at least I am not carrying out THAT 7lbs any longer!!!!!!!!!
  • AngieWpg
    AngieWpg Posts: 27
    Options
    I love the pickle jar idea too and will get mine up soon too!! I love MFP, I've learnt alot already in the short time I've been here. Feel free to add me as a friend if anyone wants more support and to motivate each other.
  • gpmominoh
    gpmominoh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Rocks are a great idea. I have been putting $1 in the jar for every pound I lose. When I get to my goal I figure it will be the start of a nice wardrobe.