Can anyone recommend a heart rate monitor?

Options
leeapeea
leeapeea Posts: 23 Member
I'm training for a marathon+ distance and I'd really like to add a heart rate monitor into the mix for ultra distances. I think it will help me pace myself for running for that long. But there's SO MANY. I'd love one that's accurate and lasts a long time and hopefully won't break the bank, though I'll pay for great quality.

So, any suggestions?? :-)

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a marathon+ distance and I'd really like to add a heart rate monitor into the mix for ultra distances. I think it will help me pace myself for running for that long. But there's SO MANY. I'd love one that's accurate and lasts a long time and hopefully won't break the bank, though I'll pay for great quality.

So, any suggestions?? :-)

Garmin Forerunner 305.
  • Pennydnbfit
    Pennydnbfit Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Polar watches are amazing. I currently have the FT4 but it doesn't calcite the distance so I need to upgrade to 1 that does. But the Polar 1s are amazing and are very reliable!!
  • anandaamrita
    anandaamrita Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    have the Polar FT7 - highly recommend.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin ForeRunner 110. Love it.
  • leeapeea
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! Does anyone have a preference of wrist over chest monitor? I know the chest is more accurate, but I'm not sure that would be comfortable on long runs.
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    after a while you won't notice the chest strap at all that comes with the better monitors!
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    +1 to the Garmin Forerunner 305.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    I'm very satisfied with my Polar FT7
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I brought one for £15 from argos. It just measures heart rate and allows me to set a working band - I think this is more than enough for me at the moment :-)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    +1 for the Garmin in addition to tracking heart rate it keeps you honest about your distances and can really help maintain the correct pace for your workout. Their logging software is pretty cool too if you're a data junkie.
  • achvr
    achvr Posts: 21
    Options
    Chest strap monitors are definitely more accurate. I had one that wasn't a chest strap monitor and it was never accurate with my heart rate or calories burned, etc.... My trainer told me to get one with a chest strap. I started with Polar FT1 and have eventually upgraded to FT7. :) It doesn't do distance, but it does everything else.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Garmin 305 here... Training options with distance, heart rate & time is great - GPS tracking n runs is good and it keeps a nice log of what you did which you can look back on
  • leeapeea
    Options
    I see a lot of folks with the Garmens and the Polars. I use a program on my smart phone for the GPS stuff- it works ok depending on satellite. Not sure that I'd want to know exactly how slow I was going or how many more miles I had to go on a known course, though... ;-P That's more of the mental training that I need to work on.
    Anyone have a hard time with this when they first started using these gadgets?

@davert- I'll check out the Argos.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I used to use my phone for that - but as you progress you will want to look at your pace during exercise and holding your phone whilst running isnt good - plus the battery life is rubbish when you use the GPS.