Exercise help -- substitute for pushups?

Options
Mistymath
Mistymath Posts: 146 Member
I'm looking for a substitute for pushups in my NROLFW workouts because I have tendinitis in one of my wrists. Any ideas for something comparable that wouldn't put so much pressure on my hands/wrists?

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Does a chest press bother your wrists?
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a substitute. Have you tried incline push-ups using the benchpress bar or just a bench? This allows you to build up to push-ups and strengthen your wrists. Maybe also try using small dumbbells or push-up bars to keep your wrist straight?
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Ladyace's suggestion of using the pushup bars or dumbbells is what they recommend on my P90X dvd's. If you have the dumbbells with flat edges, you can use those to keep your wrists straight. It makes the pushups harder but does help with the wrist problem.
  • Mistymath
    Mistymath Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Does a chest press bother your wrists?

Chest press was the only thing I could think of that would even be close to comparable, but I know it's really not the same. I haven't tried one in a while, so I'm not sure if the wrist pain would be an issue.

I'm going to try some of the other suggestions and see if they help. If those don't work, I guess chest press will be my next option.
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could use something with handles like dumbells on the floor, or those perfect pushup handles, then you can keep your wrist in neutral instead of bent. I am assuming it is the bent position and not the weight? The only other pushing away exercise I can think of besides what was mentioned would be tossing a weighted ball above you while on your back, but that involves the wrist too. Do you wear a brace?

Oops, sorry, I see the dumbells was mentioned :)