Inspired by my other protein post--protein powder?

Options
What protein powders do you guys all use? I need something I can use to make all these tasty protein rich recipes I keep seeing! Thanks!

Replies

• coopersmom2006
    Options
    bump
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm curious, too, so that I can get some when I get back to the states!
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i've used a lot of different ones...

Myofusion- 7/10 great taste, great price..... higher calories and not very "pure"
    Isoflex-8.5/10 good taste, very pure only 110 calories
    Musclepharm-9/10 great price, great taste, little higher cals
    Six star- CHEAP would reccommend if you dont care about quality (walmart sells it LOL)
    ON (Optimum Nutrition)- 9.5/10- very good taste, good price, just a bit higher cals

i now use dymatize iso 100....chocolate flavour is the best choc ive ever had. i LOVE this protein because its a whey isolate vs concentrate (more pure protein instead of additives) and only 106 cals per scoop... it is quite a bit more pricey though.

if you want an isolate id go with dymatize iso 100
    if you dont really care and want taste id go with myofusion or musclepharm

:)
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I only love things I can make sweet so Jay Robb's vanilla protein powder is my FAV...I put it in a smoothie with half a frozen banana, 3 frozen strawberries, and some almond milk...but it is expensive. Now I am using 100% Gold Standard Optimum Whey double rich chocolate...it is fine for smoothies and fine when mixed with just almond milk too...
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    The kind that I drink, that give me protein :)

I use CytoSport Muscle Milk. I get it at costco. Its like 50 bucks for 6lbs....two scoops is 280 caloires and 50g of protein.
  • RunEloiseRun
    Options
    Depends on my budget at the time.
    When I have to be cheap I use Pure Protein Vanilla because I can find it at my local Fresh and Easy.
    My favorites are Dynamitize (sp?) Elite Chocolate and 100% Gold Standard Optimum Whey French Vanilla.
    I have also randomly used Muscle Milk light (but I am moving away from Muscle Milk.)
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    just finished my first 5lb bottle of optimum nutrition double rich chocolate. its yummy, but definitely not the BEST tasting (i had some of my husband's muscle milk the other day, and wow. delish.)

i'm definitely not the best informed when it comes to protein powders. i read reviews and ON is one of the highest rated, so that's what i went with. i'm gonna keep taking my husbands muscle milk until i'm ready to make an informed purchase this time.

more opinions would be helpful...so BUMP!!!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I just use Body Fortress Isolate Vanilla. It tastes decent and you can get it at a normal grocery store.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I was just looking a buying a new protein powder. Great post!
  • nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I use Bob's Red Mill Whey Protein Concentrate. Mainly because it was one of the "cleanest" powders I could find with only 2 ingredients, but the flavor is practically non-existent which would make it great for adding to recipes.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    I use GNC's Wheybolic amp 60 in cookies and cream I use it because it has not just protein but some other things that help the muscle recoup and repair. It is a little expensive. But worth it in my opinion.
  • Daymia
    Daymia Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just tossing this out there as I noticed it on Reddit a couple weeks back. Basically, it's a physicist that decided to test protein powders to see if the amount of protein he measured coincided with the amount they claim. Obviously, it's one person's study, there are flaws, as with any study, etc etc, but the results were interesting imo. http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/uva9t/big_reddit_protein_powder_measurement_results/

Anywho, I was using just a cheap-o Meijer brand. Decided that it probably wasn't the greatest of choices and am now using Muscle Milk, which I find way too sweet. I even use 12 oz. milk to one scoop instead of only 4-6 oz. of liquid like it calls for. I think per the results from the redditor though, I'm going to try Optimum Nutrition next.
  • artsyalice
    artsyalice Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    100% Gold Standard Optimum Whey French Vanilla is my favorite. I also love the EAS low card RTD shakes!
  • Joanne_8595
    Joanne_8595 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Great topic. I just picked up some Pure Protein at the local store, simply because that is all they had. Not sure I am ready to use it all the time. I do know that I won't be buying any more of their protein bars, since it was almost uneatable!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I am currently on a Body Fortress Chocolate Peanut Butter, and Have used the Vanilla as well..
    I have tried Superstore's brand of vanilla and chocolate which I didnt mind, but the protein amounts were a little low for my liking.

Ive also tried the ones from Costco, I think they are pure protein, or premire nutrition brand.. chocolate ones for 30g of protein in 160 cals.. premade shakes..

Im heading out this week to find some other ones..
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Thanks guys! For a shake I really like the Pure Protein cans of frosty chocolate. At 170 calories, 4 carbs and 35 grams of protein they pack a good punch without being to high calorie. I am interested in protein powders so I can add them to baked goods, pancakes and maybe my oatmeal so I don't mind if it has a little flavor. I do want one that's tasty, low calorie and packs a good protein wallop. I'll do some research on all the ones you've suggested! Thanks again.
  • MyHighestPraise
    MyHighestPraise Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Pretty much only use chocolate flavor, as for brands usually whatever is on sell with the highest protein ratio I can get and while keeping the carbs to 5 or less per serving LOL.
  • Debb76
    Debb76 Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm new to all of this protein powder stuff, but after looking and reading over and over I decided to order Optimum Nutrition Whey Gold Standard(milk chocolate) It has 24 g of protein per serving. I hope I like it :-) Lots of good reviews.
  • MyHighestPraise
    MyHighestPraise Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm new to all of this protein powder stuff, but after looking and reading over and over I decided to order Optimum Nutrition Whey Gold Standard(milk chocolate) It has 24 g of protein per serving. I hope I like it :-) Lots of good reviews.

I'm new to it too! Where did you order it from? Catherine