BBQ Season

Options
Alright, I fired up the Weber Kettle yesterday and cooked a 4lb Turkey Breast roast. I brined it for 8hours in a Water, Salt and Honey bath. I had it on the Q for about 2 hours at 300-325F, indirect with a chunk of hickory. I rubbed it with Pepper, No Salt seasoning and garlic powder. Sandwiches are going to great this week.

It was awesome, I had 10oz for about 400cals with some mashed potatoes and seasoned mixed veggies. I didn't have much for "grilling" veg this time, but I can't wait to do some shopping and pick up some Zuchini and corn on the cob.

So, let me know what you'll be BBQing this year, based on losing weight vs what you were Qing before.

Last year was lots of Pulled Pork, Chuck Roasts, and Wings. Oh yeah can't forget all the Ribs I did.

I'll still do those, BUT i will be eating a lot less.

I also picked up a Weber gas grill last weekend, so I will be grilling Chicken breasts quickly for when I dont have time to fire up the Charcoal.

I will be putting away the George Foreman and Crock Pot for the summer.

How about you guys?

I'll post up some pics the next time I BBQ, I forgot to take some yesterday.

Replies

• scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have a gas grill and last summer consisted mainly of brats, burgers, pork tenderloin and chicken breasts. This summer I'm going to add fish, turkey burgers and lots of vegetables to the grill. I like to wrap a head of cauliflower in foil with olive oil and seasoning and put it on the grill until it gets real soft.

Yesterday we roasted a 7 lb. pork butt in the oven with 2 onions (quartered), 2 cans chipotle peppers (7oz. each), 4 tbsp brown sugar and two cans of Dr. Pepper. Roasted at 300 for 6 hours and the meat just flaked apart. It was excellent - 8 ozs about 400 cal.

Tonight the left over meat will be wrapped in multi-grain 100 calorie wraps with chipotle peppers and a dash of cheddar cheese. A cucumber, cherry tomato and broccoli salad with a light vinaigrette on the side.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Damn. Now I am hungry. One thing I like to do is buy a whole bunch of chicken breasts and pork cutlets on the weekend and just grill up a pile of them.
    then I can put them in the fridge and have them over the course of the next week. It makes things a lot easier.
  • teejayjancik
    teejayjancik Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Alright, I fired up the Weber Kettle yesterday.

That is all I needed to hear on that post! ANYTHING made on a Weber charcoal grill is going to taste fabulous! You sir show awsome taste in your choice of grills!

I am not as adventerous of a griller as all of you. Just plan on doing the basics. Brats, Burgers, Chicken Breasts, or Pork Chops. Just plan on eating less of it. Maybe dump the bun on the burgers or brats. Less carbs that way.

Would like to try to grill more veggies this year.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Love the BBQ. I have a gas weber, and a bullet smoker. I cook pretty much everything on the Weber in the summer, including my veggies. You just slice them up, put on a touch of oil, salt, and pepper and pitch them on the grill beside your meat. Peppers cut into rings. Zuchinni and yellow squash cut into long strips. Other veggies go nice on sticks, shishkabob style. Sure saves on air conditioning costs when you don't have to cool the stove down.

I also make my own bacon, sausage, and pastrami which all get pitched in the smoker. Other favorites are the pre-requisite pulled pork (I have a great supplier for kurobuta, it's a whole other world), and ribs. I love summer cooking.
  • liveonlocation
    liveonlocation Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Love the BBQ. I have a gas weber, and a bullet smoker. I cook pretty much everything on the Weber in the summer, including my veggies. You just slice them up, put on a touch of oil, salt, and pepper and pitch them on the grill beside your meat. Peppers cut into rings. Zuchinni and yellow squash cut into long strips. Other veggies go nice on sticks, shishkabob style. Sure saves on air conditioning costs when you don't have to cool the stove down.

I also make my own bacon, sausage, and pastrami which all get pitched in the smoker. Other favorites are the pre-requisite pulled pork (I have a great supplier for kurobuta, it's a whole other world), and ribs. I love summer cooking.

Sounds awesome.

I'm waiting for the right deal to come alng on a used weber bullet. Until then, I keep smoking on one of my kettles.

I have quite a collection, my back deck looks like a shrine.

Weber Performer, older Platinum kettle, mint 1979 red daisy wheel kettle, 18.5 one touch gold, a Genesis gas grill and I have a Q220 and a charcoal go anywhere for camping. Once I have a 22.5 WSM the collection will be complete. My wife would love if I got rid of some...

We'll see.
  • stevearter
    stevearter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just bought a Traeger.....................GAME ON
  • boggsmeister
    Options

My dream grill. Someday when I don't have a thousand other priorities for $600.

Sigh.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options

My Hero
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    Well I don't have a Webber:sad: But I have a pair of Grills, Brinkman smoker and CharBroil full Charcoal grill. Since we are trying to lose weight i have been using the Brinkman as a grill since it has a smaller coal pan and I am not tempted to empty the freezer cooking on it. Done Chicken breast and Veggie pans with turkey Brats and lean burgers Yesturday. MMMMM Good stuff. I am really wanting to smoke this Shoulder I have but I am afraid I will not leave it alone, plus I just do not have a full day to babysit my smoker.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options

I had never heard of Traeger before, I just Googled it and I am IN LOVE, think i might have found my 100lb reward:love: Let us know how you like it.
  • liveonlocation
    liveonlocation Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I saw pork shoulders on sale the other day. AND I kow everything fits in my calorie budget depending on portion size, but I just can't stop at 1 serving of pulled pork. Pulled pork would make me go over.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    I hear ya. I saw pork shoulders on sale the other day. AND I kow everything fits in my calorie budget depending on portion size, but I just can't stop at 1 serving of pulled pork. Pulled pork would make me go over.

I did a shoulder about a month after starting, did not smoke it just slow cooked added sauce. Anyway I had no idea it would be so high in calories, we tried everyway we could to make it stretch, used it on top of a potato so you could get by with one serving, used it for omlettes and FlatOut Pizzas, we ended up freezing about half of it and honestly we have not even thought about thawing it out when we have so many lower calorie options that we can have much bigger portions of. But man somthing about a Smoked shoulder and I am with you, I could eat a weeks worth of calories.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have a Big Green Egg. It's perfect for pork loins, beer can chicken, pork shoulder and brisket. I usually cook up a large something on the weekend and the freeze the leftovers. However, beer can chicken salad is wonderful.
  • boggsmeister
    Options
    The egg is a fine smoker. It can be a bit small for feeding a crowd, but the steady temp on it is pretty amazing.
  • Bigaug
    Bigaug Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I've got a mini weber and an offset smoker. The smoker was a Char... something but I have changed it so much that it isn't recognizable from when it was new. I haven't done any BBQ yet this year but I have about done about 10 chickens, burgers - and yes some of them were turkified, steaks, a buttload of veggies, and a couple pizzas.
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Well, in Arizona the rest of the season is BBQ and the summer I kinda back off... That being said I got a nice 4 burner gas grill for Father's Day so I had to give it a test run...My favorites lately:

1) Chicken breasts (lemon /pepper)
    2) Brats (spiced chicken saussage)
    3) HUGE salmon steaks... great spicy seasoning on them from the local market.. gotta figure out what they put on them.
    4) Burgers (85% lean - need some fat to grill properly!) - lightly ground peppercorn / worsterchire mix
  • boggsmeister
    Options
    I am just going to throw this out there. Grass fed beef. That expensive fru-fru stuff you get at the health food store. Yeah, it's freaking amazing for hamburgers. I find the steaks are a little lean to just straight barbecue, but the burgers are off the hook.
  • coachdave_99
    coachdave_99 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I feel like a BBQ novice compared to everyone in here. I cook the standard fare but after reading about grilling an entire head of califlower I think I have something new to try this weekend.