new - carrying a heavy pack

Options
Hi, I was wondering what is the best way to get used to carrying a heavy pack and going backpacking?

I do a lot of hiking but not carrying a heavy pack.(30lbs-50lbs)

Any advice on how I should start would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I hike year round. In the early spring, I start putting exta weight in my daypack to work back up to backpacking season. I also use the stairclimber at the gym with weight - same daypack I use for hiking. And finally, I backpack as light as I can - I'm not a toothbrush chopping ultralight freak, but there are lots of ways to shave a pound off here and there.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    RobinA is right. If you have a trail near by or something like a lot of stairs to walk up & down, just keep adding on. I have a place that has a 2000 ft elevation gain in 2 miles, (4 miles RT) , I started with sleeping bag & stove , then added my tent, etc.
    Also , if you have an easy place to backpack, to try that one out. Short trip is great to correct anything uncomfortable.
  • muchachitalinda
    Options
    :smile: thanks for your tips, I will try 'em.
  • jagwab
    jagwab Posts: 93
    Options
    I would also reconsider what you are carrying,
    Why would you be carrying 50 pounds? My pack for myself with 6 days of food was 35 pounds.
  • perceptualobfuscator
    perceptualobfuscator Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I take my pack out on nearly every day hike I do, and pack it at about 35 lbs. If you're training for a big trip, I recommend packing it with slightly more weight than you expect to bring - it's a good idea if, say, you live somewhere flat and you're planning to hike somewhere with a lot of elevation change.

I agree that 50 lbs is way too much to bring on a trip, unless you're planning on lugging around high quality photography equipment or something. If you're worried about bringing too much gear, and don't know how to par it down to the minimum weight possible (which is important to do on a long trip), look up techniques used by through-hikers (or thru-hikers) and ultra-lighters. Some of it can be extreme, but it's worth checking out for ideas.
  • shadowess3
    shadowess3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm a kinda newbie to the backpacking/hiking scene, I usually canoe/portage, so it's not that bad to have a heavier pack.

My pack is always too heavy for me. Each trip I've been trying to cut back, but still it's too heavy (last year went from a 50lbs pack to a 38lbs pack - mostly by pawning off stuff to my boyfriends pack ;) )

Any suggestions on how to best lessen your load?

I think the tips suggested here are great! (I like the stair climber with weight, in the pack you hike with)
    I read that one good tip to help you cut down is to write an inventory of everything you bring with you, when on the trail, put a check mark beside the items you used. Then after the trip you will see if there are any items that you brought but didn't use. Then you can reconsider those items.

Any suggestions on starting weight and the timeline/weight to increase to your target weight while training?
  • sherrilallen
    Options
    The best thing to do is to start walking in your pack... just walking around the neighborhood if you don't have a trail near by. How much time do you have before the trip?? Start with about 15 or 20 lbs and add some weight each week until you get to your goal weight. I also try to walk with as much of the "real stuff" that I am going to be carrying on the trip so you really get the feel for your pack and how it's going to sit with all your stuff. Also, wear the boots you are going to be hiking in and make sure they are sturdy enough for carrying a heavy pack...boots can feel alot different with 40 lbs on. Good luck training and start early!
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Last year I trained with a pack and slowly added more weight weekly. I worked up to the highest incline on my treadmill and I use outdoor stairs. (they are sooooo effective....I hated them but it really worked!)
  • CDTman
    CDTman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Could always get someone else to carry your backpack:) I'm always in search of a few good sherpa's...
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Your hike will be more enjoyable if you can lessen your load. Opt for lighter weight items and if something is too heavy leave it at home! You don't need to head out with the kitchen sink to have a great trip.
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I also find using hiking poles is really helpful when you have the added weight of a pack.
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'd say first and foremost, get a good pack that fits your body well. Also I agree that you really shouldn't need to carry more than 40. The gear they make these days can be really lightweight. My boyfriend and I backpack together split the tent and such and keep it around 30. If you're worried, I would practice carrying more on shorter hikes. Some guys I ran into in Pearblossom were wearing their fully loaded packs on a day hike to devil's chair just to get used to it. You may even start with just two day hikes and take it slow. Best of luck and enjoy the wilderness!
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    just for ease: Instead of packing a sleeping bag, stove ect for training weigh. I use two liter bottles filled with sand and water. Then stuff a pillow in so the weight stays close to my back.

Sometimes I carry a couple with just water so I can pour them out and lessen the load.