Do I HAVE to use Protein shakes?

Options
MrsAgi
MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
I've not started yet - just got the book and reading through it:)

I've never been keen on the idea of protein shakes - partly because I prefer my food to be food, partly because they are ridiculously expensive, and partly because if this is a real lifestyle change I have no wish to be drinking those things for the rest of ,my life!

The book seems to be saying they are absolutely vital - but plenty of research doesn't agree (in fact a recent study showed a glass of milk was just as effective I believe), so my question is - has anyone tried this without taking the shakes? Any advice?

Thanks

(edited for awful spelling - (sorry)

Replies

• poledancing_ninja
    Options
    I imagine if you can hit your protein macro without going over your calories you could just do it with 'real' food. I just have protein shakes with fruit blended up to make smoothies cause I find it hard to get that much protein in my calorie limit
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I imagine if you can hit your protein macro without going over your calories you could just do it with 'real' food. I just have protein shakes with fruit blended up to make smoothies cause I find it hard to get that much protein in my calorie limit

^^ this, nothing is absolute, if you can meet your own macro requirement using milk then it all works out the same.

I use a protein shake to help me get the protein within my calories, and the one I use works out at 92p (UK) a portion
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If you finish your workout and at a chicken breast, I'm sure you'd be good to go.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I've heard that chocolate milk is natures steriods!! 2 cups of skim milk is 16 grams of protein. I use the slim fast 3-2-1 high protein shakes. They are really good and have about 15 grams. I have a hard time meeting my protein and staying under my carbs and calories so this shake is perfect for me.
  • Isaanne
    Isaanne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters - i don't think this is a requirement. Try to do it without the powder or shakes and let us know how that works for you!

I do use protein powder but I prefer to add it to my morning yogurt (which is right after i work out). I have found it is not that expensive really, and for me, it is easier than eating other kinds of protein and is super quick to make.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Before I started lifting, I would occasionally do the chocolate milk for recovery thing (from running/biking). Mostly because it was a way for me to justify drinking chocolate milk.
    I was also pretty anti-protein powders before reading the book and starting the program, but I really wanted to try and follow the protein recommendations as much as I could handle (there is only so much meat/eggs I can handle). So I bought a container. Thus beginning my new love affair with protein shakes. I'm a cardio junkie, and sometimes my lifting motivation is drinking a delicious chocolate shake when I'm done.
    Chocolate milk left me hungry, but the "shake" fills me up. I also have been making a lot of the protein iced coffees (recipe in the book).
    It hasn't seemed to impact my grocery budget that much, seems to take me about a month to get through one big container of powder, and that's having one scoop after every major workout not just lifting.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I would much rather eat food as well, but I was having a hard time getting my protein over 100g. I bought some Premier Nutrition protein shakes from Costco. I only drink them after my lifting days. They have 30g of protein in them and are low calorie. They are actually very refreshing after my workout. Only drinking them 3 days a week makes it affordable. On my non lifiting days I try and eat chicken, almonds, greek yogurt, eggs, etc.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    ..Bah, I subsist off of them, and I can say they are much less expensive than any other protein source. Heheh. 50 bucks of marvelous quality protein lasts a month for me... I cannot say the same for my alaskan salmon. Hell, I doubt I can even say the same for ground beef.

That said, like everyone else says.. if you can make your macro goals, who cares. :)