What are your challenges and successes?

Options
TinaBaily
TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
This groups seems a bit quiet. I thought I would ask what you all are finding that is working for you, diet or fitness-wise, and what you are finding are your big challenges in this 30lb summer challenge.

I'll start off..

My challenges:
1. FIBER: getting enough fiber into my diet through my food is sometimes difficult, as I'm ideally aiming for 30 g or more a day (I have diverticulosis and have had diverticulitis 3 times now, I do NOT want to have surgery to remove a portion of my intestines, thanks, so this is my biggest personal challenge to stay healthy and part of the reason why I want to drop to a healthy weight once and for all)

2. HUNGER: some days of each month I just can't seem to get enough to eat and feel I could eat all day, literally! I am aware now, having kept track of when this occurs, that it is hormonal and that if I can get through the 2 days that I'll be fine and it will go away

My successes:
1. EXERCISE: I have discovered a love of running (jogging? I seem to be able to go a mile or so at a 5.5mph pace right now, but I'm only halfway through week 6 of Couch to 5K) I run on the treadmills at my gym every other day and use the elliptical machine the other days. I've gone from being able to BARELY make it for 20 minutes on the elliptical machine at the end of April, 3 times a week, to being able to stride away on that machine for over an hour at a time, at a difficulty level 3 times higher than back in April. I work out 6 days a week, as of this month, and my body is changing in interesting ways. Clothes fitting better, tummy not sticking out as far, face looks much thinner, climbing the stairs doesn't make me feel out of breath.

2. HEALTHY FOOD: I get the majority of my fruits and veggies from a local co-op. I also hate to waste food, so I make my menu for each week based on what I get in my weekly basket, designed to use what we got, and using what I have in my food storage at home, to help keep my grocery budget down and our waistlines slim.

Ok, now it's your turn if you care to share! :-)

Replies

• chelseabell91
    Options
    My biggest challenges are:
    1. craving something sweet every now and then, I have found those skinny cow bars and ice cream pops are DELICIOUS. So they help those craving
    2. Not eating foods high in sugar or carbs....since my body doesn't react well to them I try to stay low. But many foods have tons of hidden sugars and I always go over my limit :/
    3. Getting up to START the workout is the hardest part for me, Once I get going I am fine though.
    4. Getting discouraged because I had originally lose 75lbs, and due to unfortunate circumstances I gained 40lbs back. Its hard having to re-do this again. I'm scared of failing.

My successes:
    1. Once I get going in my workout, I LOVE IT. I feel amazing and usually don't want to stop. I find my motivation increases as I workout.
    2. seeing my clothes fit better, slowly but surely, keeps me going. I enjoy running and walking and do the elliptical at the gym quite a bit. I used to doing Spin on a regular basis and would like to get back into it.
    3. I LOVE fruits and veggies, as well as chicken and tuna. So i'm not completely eating things I hate. Today I had spaghetti squash and i absolutely love it, it takes just like pasta.

4. Not sure if this is a POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE (thoughts?), but I gained all this weight as I was getting out of a emotionally destructive relationship. I'm going to be a bridesmaid in a wedding in January...and my ex is the best man. I want to feel good about myself when I go and look great. I want to be able to feel like I'm better than the things I went through.
  • TinaBaily
    Options
    My biggest challenges are:
    1. craving something sweet every now and then, I have found those skinny cow bars and ice cream pops are DELICIOUS. So they help those craving
    2. Not eating foods high in sugar or carbs....since my body doesn't react well to them I try to stay low. But many foods have tons of hidden sugars and I always go over my limit :/
    3. Getting up to START the workout is the hardest part for me, Once I get going I am fine though.
    4. Getting discouraged because I had originally lose 75lbs, and due to unfortunate circumstances I gained 40lbs back. Its hard having to re-do this again. I'm scared of failing.

My successes:
    1. Once I get going in my workout, I LOVE IT. I feel amazing and usually don't want to stop. I find my motivation increases as I workout.
    2. seeing my clothes fit better, slowly but surely, keeps me going. I enjoy running and walking and do the elliptical at the gym quite a bit. I used to doing Spin on a regular basis and would like to get back into it.
    3. I LOVE fruits and veggies, as well as chicken and tuna. So i'm not completely eating things I hate. Today I had spaghetti squash and i absolutely love it, it takes just like pasta.

4. Not sure if this is a POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE (thoughts?), but I gained all this weight as I was getting out of a emotionally destructive relationship. I'm going to be a bridesmaid in a wedding in January...and my ex is the best man. I want to feel good about myself when I go and look great. I want to be able to feel like I'm better than the things I went through.

Your successes, #4, I think that's a positive, and one to which many of us can relate. There is nothing wrong with losing the weight for YOU, but if, in the process, you're able to show your ex how well you handle him being out of your life, then that's okay. One thing, though--it is best if you are nice about it and don't sink to his level, staying cool and aloof as you have to deal with seeing him that day.

Spaghetti squash can even be served with spaghetti sauce on it, if you want a low carb spaghetti substitute. What a great food choice!
  • shea14shea
    shea14shea Posts: 18
    Options
    Tina, my best friend's husband also has that, he's been hospitalized twice for it. I don't think he gets nearly enough fiber. What do you find works best for you as far as fiber goes?

My challenges are:

1. Weekend eating habits. We don't eat at home much on the weekends, and if we do it's because we are having a veg out day so my hubby can relax.

2. Exercise. I exercise everyday, but not as much as I should. I go in, do the 80 calorie goal setting the treadmill, one or two exercises and I'm done. Usually I have more stuff to do afterwards so I try to get in and get out. I've sort of lost my momentum.

My successes are:

1. That I have continued to exercise

2. Keeping my calorie goals met during the weekdays.

3. I'm pretty sure I drink enough water.
  • TinaBaily
    Options
    Tina, my best friend's husband also has that, he's been hospitalized twice for it. I don't think he gets nearly enough fiber. What do you find works best for you as far as fiber goes?

My challenges are:

1. Weekend eating habits. We don't eat at home much on the weekends, and if we do it's because we are having a veg out day so my hubby can relax.

That's a good question! I try to start my day with a high fiber breakfast, which has become old fashioned oatmeal with a serving of Craisins cooked into it. No need to sweeten it, and there are 7 grams of fiber right there. Other good choices are cereals like Fiber One (they make some very tasty options), Raisin Bran (I love Kellogg's Raisin Bran Crunch, and Total Raisin Bran isn't bad, either), or any of the frosted mini wheats. They give me the sweet taste that my mouth enjoys for breakfast, and help keep me full longer.

I try to get in veggies with my lunch. Today's example is a very good one, since I had 2 cups of home cooked pinto beans with diced tomato and cilantro on top. I think that was 30 grams of fiber. (That would be a very good choice if the rest of the day involved a need to eat out, which makes getting fiber into the diet quite challenging.) I stirred in chili powder and cumin with salt and pepper to taste and it was good. I'm still not hungry and it's about 4 hours later! My lunch often has a salad or fresh carrots, cucumbers, broccoli, something that gives me more fiber naturally.

If possible, I'll have 2 vegetables with dinner, and if calories allow, popcorn is a very good snack that is high in fiber. I hope that helps. I feel for your friend's husband. I have been to the E.R. for the condition, but not hospitalized. They always tell me I've caught it quite early when it's happened, except for the first time.

If you know which restaurants you will be visiting on the weekend, a little planning ahead with their online nutrition menu should help you out in the calorie department. I took hubby out to Chili's last night and sat at the computer for a little bit to choose something that sounded good and wouldn't blow my diet for the day. It tasted so good, and was guilt free!