New to this group!

Options
Hi! I am Marsha. I just joined this group tonight. I am 47 and making big changes to my life. It all started 4 years ago when I decided to get my college degree. I deemed I would be 50 pounds thinner and be wearing a 14 instead of a 22. Well here it is 4 years and 1 month later and I can say I did it (actually 80lbs) and graduated with honors. Now! here I go again. My newest goal is to lose 10 pounds by Aug. and find a teaching job (might be the hardest of my goals with this economy). I am a woman on a mission. I want to lose at least 40 more pounds. My dream is to wear a 6. I want to do it slow and keep it off.

I'd like feed back on if any of you are planning on running a marathon in the near future. This is a bucket list item...and I would like to learn how to properly train for it. I try to walk 5 miles a day although life sometimes gets in the way. I can only run about a half mile at this point.

I look forward to sharing your experiences during this incredible journey.

Replies

• MistyWeeks
    MistyWeeks Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Marsha... welcome to the group. I'm new, too. =) Congrats on the accomplishments already under your belt!!! Whoo hooo!!!! I agree that your bigger challenge might be finding a teaching job. =( I teach special education in a tiny hick town in Indiana. I spent 7 years teaching in Juvenile Corrections for the State, but they laid all the teachers at our facility off in July of 2009. I was one of the lucky ones who actually found a job for the 09-10 school year...many others didn't. Blessed to have a job, but the 24k drop in pay was hard to stomach. I've been in this public school for 3 years and have really enjoy two of the years (the middle year I was teaching algebra to spec ed kiddos - my degree is elementary! YIKES!!!! I hadn't done algebra since I was IN algebra in high school!!!) Hopefully soon I will be taking over as the director of the special ed department for the district. =) *fingers crossed*

Wishing you the best of luck in your weight loss and your teaching career!!!!!
  • katycat24
    katycat24 Posts: 32
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss and your degree! I would look into starting with a C25K program (couch to 5K). I completed one last year and I went from hardly being able to run at all to running three miles without a problem. As you progress, there's also a 10K program and then a marathon training program. Just google it or look for the app.