Introduce Yourself

Options
Meghan4330
Meghan4330 Posts: 19 Member
Hi everyone!
I'm so excited to see fellow dancers on here. What types of training does everyone have? Where do you go to school? What are your weight struggles?

I'm currently a BFA student at The College at Brockport in New York. I am mostly focused on modern and ballet at this point and I dance every single day of the week. It's the best thing in my life! :happy:

Replies

• Crystler
    Options
    goodmorning Meg. I'm doing modern dancing been doing it since grade 8 since 16 years old I'm 21 now.
  • becsab06
    Options
    Hey Meg!!
    My Name is Rebecca and I'm currently studying Musical Theatre in Australia :)
    I've always been mainly a singer and now all of a sudden I've been learning jazz, tap and ballet but everyone else at my uni is super skinny and I just want to be able to compete in the industry so I'm gettin how and fit lol.
    I'm so jealous of people that are super flexible, I'm a tapper mostly and I absolutley suck at ballet lol.
    Anyway, I think this group is an awesome idea:)
    Have a nice day xoxo
  • JKBarnett88
    Options
    Hey everyone! My name is Jessica, I'm 23 years old and a Dance Instructor. I teach tap, ballet, jazz, hip hop, lyrical, contemporary and a variety of ballroom and latin. It really is the best job and it's SO nice to be able to exercise for a living! If only I didn't like food so much ;-)
  • GeminiJen5
    Options
    Hi my name is Jenna and I am 23. I currently teach dance and I love tap! Weight has always been a struggle for me but I want a healthy body if I'm going to open my own studio.
  • mariposa808
    mariposa808 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    hey! my names brooke im a dancer from vancouver bc. i do ballet, contemporary, jazz, burlesque and *****cat dolls. contemporary is my passion. went to idyllwild school of music and the arts in southern california for 2 years in high school and was in the dance dept. dance has saved my life and its the reason i get up in the morning and somedays why i continue to wake up and face life. i struggle with depression and an autoimmune disease, so some days are pretty grim. dance keeps me positive and releases toxic energy from my body as well as provides me with a creative outlet. i dont care about being skinny, i prefer to have a nice curvy figure (not overweight though). anyways, please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • JMPDancer
    Options
    Hi Everybody!
    I'm Jocelyn in Ontario, Canada and I'm a Music Theatre instructor here. I'm teaching voice, acting and dancing at a number of schools in the area and working toward teaching certificates in all these disciplines. My struggle in highschool, college and uni with eating disorders has left me in rough shape physically. My students help keep me grounded and interested in what I'm doing but teaching doesn't keep me as active as I would like. I'm working toward reminding my self that I'm a dancer first and a teacher after...you can't teach if you can't dance! I have a lot of goals for myself in the future including performing and opening my own stuio, it's about time to get my act together!
    Thanks for the group!
  • ModernBoi
    Options
    Hi, my name is Scott. I am studying Dance Education at a University in Utah. I started dancing at age 18 and I love every moment of it. I study modern, ballet, social ballroom, and jazz. I am on here trying to stay healthy, I have had to start eating more than I normally would; but I don't want to over eat. As of right now I only dance four days a week and study anatomy on the weekends.
  • complicatedmoves
    complicatedmoves Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I'm so excited to see fellow dancers on here. What types of training does everyone have? Where do you go to school? What are your weight struggles?

I'm currently a BFA student at The College at Brockport in New York. I am mostly focused on modern and ballet at this point and I dance every single day of the week. It's the best thing in my life! :happy:

Good Morning,

I'm a dancer and a social worker. I have been dancing since I was 6 years of age, and I am trained in ballet, tap, jazz, modern, ethnic, and hip-hop. I also have background in Musical Theatre. Right now......sadly, I'm only doing Zumba (sorry that was a corny dance joke). I went to school at Western Michigan University, I have a dance minor. I started off as a double major, but I wanted to get out of school (regretting that to this day).

I have always been pretty fit, until I had my daughter. I fell for the whole "eating for two" none sense...and I have had trouble ever since getting back to my 'performance' weight. It's all kind of depressing.
  • mdjoubert03
    Options
    Hey everyone, i wonder if i am also allowed to be here, becaus i only do dance parttime, Im a mechanical engineer, i started dancing at around 14, (im 25 now), my training is mostly in hip hop (krump, tutting, poppong, waving, isolations etc); I allso do modern dancing, belly dancing, dancehall and south african house and pansula.. Yes Im from PTA South Africa. I would love some tips for improving my energy levels
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm a contemporary dancer.
  • titsnstuff
    titsnstuff Posts: 27
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am not a dance student per se, but I am a student and very active in dance. I will take the bar in Feb. I did ballet/jazz for 12 years, was on a belly dancing troupe for 2 years, taught social ballroom/lain for 2 years, and am now breaking into the burlesque scene. I would love to hear other people's fitness tips, especially flexibility techniques to help me get back into my ballet shape. :)
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    Not sure if I belong here either because I'm not a "professional", but I'm 25 and just started dancing last year at a local studio. I took modern and now I'm almost finished with a summer ballet class. I love to dance and it's an amazing workout that doesn't feel like a workout to me because it's so fun! I love going to each class and feeling my technique get better and better... I'm trying to watch what I eat and dance more this coming year because I hate being the biggest girl in the class!
  • danceforpassion
    danceforpassion Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! My name is Jessica, I'm 23 years old and a Dance Instructor. I teach tap, ballet, jazz, hip hop, lyrical, contemporary and a variety of ballroom and latin. It really is the best job and it's SO nice to be able to exercise for a living! If only I didn't like food so much ;-)
  • danceforpassion
    Options
    I completely agree 100%! It is the best job ever! And I have the same problem with loving food its terrible! Lol
  • danceforpassion
    Options
    By the way, my name is Jocelyn and I teach contemporary, hip hop, jazz and gymnastics! And I love every second of it!
  • Chaz1029
    Options
    Hi! I've just made the transition from dancer to teacher this ear and massively struggled to stay slim, I was piling on the pounds at first and not worrying because it made a change from constantly being aware. However now it's getting out of hand and I need some major readjustment. Always struggled with weight but my jobs kept me slim, not ill have to use some willpower ...hoping you can help! What a great group, can't wait to start with my fitness pal xxxxx
  • lovelylaura1688
    Options
    Hello i am 24 and working as a dancer in the UK xx
  • kteigen1
    kteigen1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 15! I am studing to become a proffesional and i want to lose weight as most dancers do and i have never really been fat but my matabolisum is slowing down and i am slowly realising that i need to start dieting.... are there any good diets or cross training out there?
  • EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! Nice to meet you. My name is Emily and I live in Chicago. I studied dance for about 18 years. Mostly classical ballet, but also tap, modern, jazz, & a bit of ballroom. I eventually quit my studies due to too many tendonitis issues & podiatry problems. Over the years I've really missed dancing. I have gotten back into it for aerobic benefit & am going to take a class again for fun in the fall. So that counts to join this group, I hope? :) I joined MFP to lose 30 lbs. of "skinny fat" and get healthy & fit again. I am excited about reclaiming my dancer's spirit and determined to regain some flexibility & energy. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • finalixgarnet
    finalixgarnet Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    My name is Rachel , I am 25 and a Freshman at University of North Carolina Charlotte, a Dance performance major, focus in ballet. I have been dancing for a long time and I still am trying to get to the professional level, I dont want my weight to be the thing holding me back from a professional career!!. I am looking to tone up and loose some of my lower body fat :( I am really hoping to get into the Professional company here is Charlotte North Carolina Dance Theater . But I defiantly need to loose a few pounds!! I am looking for motivation and encouragement with accountability !
    Glad to find a bunch of dancers!!