Signs of EM2WL success - tangible inspiration!

Options
rr85114
rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
So, I'm just trawling the forums at the moment trying to absorb as much as I can. My husband has actually gotten to the point of asking me what I'm so obsessed about because I'm constantly on these forums both on the laptop and on my phone.

I'm a newbie EM2WL-er. I'm on day 10 of eating at TDEE - 15% (which is 2100). One thing I've noticed when I read the message boards is that I really find it empowering when I hear about people's initial mini successes once they've converted from the starvation camp to the EM2WL camp. It makes a big difference when you first embark on this challenging change in mindset and see that others have had success with it.

I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we can sing it out loud to the world once we get over the inevitable initial weight gain/bloat/constipation/WHATEVER it is your hurdle was. And I mean physical successes (measurements, weight loss *even though I now view my scale as the devil*), as well as mental ones (i.e. viewing your scale as the devil). It could be when you first started noticing physical changes, or when you had a new change in mindset which opened your eyes. Anything you consider a success!

So, I'll start. I was 87.2kg back in September 2010. I lost about 10kg doing Weight Watchers online and doing cardio/BodyPump 3 to 5 times a week. But then once September 2011 hit, I started hovering around the 77kg - 79kg mark - and didn't budge. I'm 176cm (so about 5'9") so according to BMI, the top of my healthy weight range is 77kg. I had previously been aiming for 72kg which is comfortably in the middle of my healthy weight range.

... until last week when I started reading about eating more to weigh less. I've had a mental revolution. This makes *so* much sense to me and I am shocked at how I was surviving with my previous eating/exercise regimen. My poor body. No wonder it stopped trusting me and wouldn't let go of a single ounce of fat no matter how hard I exercised.

So before upping my calories (I initially increased them to 1700 net last week), I went from 78.3 to 79.1kg. I was okay with the gain because I'd read through the stickies here and knew that was actually a modest gain, to be expected. I also knew it wasn't a 'fat' gain. That in itself was a mental success for me. What made me feel more mentally successful is that on Monday of this week, I decided to go all in and despite my "gain", increase my cals a bit more so that I was eating TDEE - 15%, which for me is 2100.

After only 10 days, here are my mini successes:
* I have more energy
* I ENJOY eating healthy - I look forward to my next meal, but not in the sense that "OMG I'm starving and need to eat" but rather, "wow, what delicious combinations of healthy, body-nourishing foods can I fuel my body with next"
* Grocery shopping is no longer just about looking at nutrition labels for the lowest calorie option. Bring on the full fat greek yoghurt, cereals with nuts and proper grains, avocadoes, and oh my goodness, CHEESE! How I've missed you!
* I've lost 1cm off my waist and 1.5cm off my hips (I'm also doing the 30 Day Shred)
* The bloat of last week has gone and although I take my weight with a grain of salt, I'm down to 78.3 again :)

Tell us what your successes are and how long it's taken for you to notice them! We could all use the inspiration!

RR

Replies

• twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    This is such a great idea and I loved reading about your mini successes!!! I'm sure others will find this thread very helpful and encouraging!

My biggest hurdle, at first, was the mental block I had to get past in order to accept this new lifestyle. Everything in my body kept saying I was eating too much but, like you, there was another part of me that just knew this would work for me, if I committed whole-heartedly.

I couldn't jump in with both feet though. I increased my calories slowly but now, looking back, I wish I had just done it all at once because I got stuck for several weeks losing and gaining the same 2 pounds. I still wasn't eating enough, it turns out.

My successes this far (since March):

Tons of energy
    I look forward to working out and actually get a little bummed when I have to force myself to take a rest day
    Cutting out most processed foods and eating clean (for the most part...LOL)
    Getting my kids to try new healthy, foods because they see me enjoying the foods
    Losing 9 pounds and over 20 inches
    Lifting way heavier than I ever thought I could
  • elly1979
    elly1979 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I remember the day about 6 weeks ago when I sat in bed with my husband, tears streaming down my face, and said "I'm scared."

I was scared of gaining. But there was so much logic, and an intuitive knowing that EM2WL felt right, that I couldn't ignore it.

I'd come off of a 4-week plateau. Previously I'd shed around 15 pounds. Then, everything stopped. I'd been cardio-ing like mad (circuits) eating less and less, and was so stumped, lethargic, and frustrated.

"Was I doomed to stay at 162 pounds (around a size 10-12) for the rest of my life?" I wondered. I had dreams of being smaller, and fitter, than I'd ever been, but boy did they stall.

I found this forum, this way of eating and life, and dove in with those tears down my face. "I might gain" i told my husband. "So you gain," he said, and we were off.

I'm 4 weeks into TDEE now. My energy is wonderful. And there's a mental freedom I didn't have before. Instead of needing to control EVERYTHING, I focus on getting a balanced macro set, and eating 80-85% of my foods relatively 'cleanly' (for me this specifically means avoiding too many processed foods or fast foods, but not stuff like slow cooked oatmeal and pineapple :D)

What is tangible for me:
    -Strong, strong muscles
    -Increased energy
    -A smaller waist
    -More sanity (e.g. a vacation without stressing over eating a paltry 1200 cals a day)
    -a very nice curve starting to happen by my biceps & shoulders
    -a return to carbs!
    -generally even-keeled days mood wise. A flow, if you will.
  • rr85114
    Options
    Ladies, thank you so much for sharing. You know what I love? Something that consistently emerges with the 3 of us is the fact that (forgive me if I'm being presumptuous) we started off as scale worshippers. The scale was everything. Gaining an ounce would set the tone for a crappy day/week. And yet, despite knowing that by increasing our calories to care for our bodies and set them up for healthy weight loss, a gain (big or small) was inevitable. Heck, it might stick around for a long time. And that is terrifying. But, despite that fear, we knew intuitively, on some raw, deep down level that this is the RIGHT thing for our bodies. With that in mind, we ignored the scale demons in our heads and took the plunge. And have never looked back.

Wow. To me, that is inspiring.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    The hardest part for me, and still is, is the mind games. I struggle daily with my brain telling me this is soooo wrong!! But I know in my heart it is right, and even though I am gaining back a few pounds and unfortunately some inches, I know that once my cut hits, I will be raring to go.

I used to get on the scale in the morning and my day was made or broken by what that number said... now I have at least been able to avoid it to just once a week, and while it pains me to see the number, I am not crying the rest of the day over it.. thats been a huge change.

I am lifting "real" weights for the first time in my life and I really enjoy it.. I cant wait to see what happens when my cut hits..
    I sleep relatively better
    I have more energy to keep up with my kids
    My hair stopped falling out so much..
  • jwkime
    jwkime Posts: 37
    Options
    This to me too, "makes sense". I was one of those 1200 calorie a day plus 2 hours of exercise people last year (burning way more than I was taking in) and was tears constantly about why there was no change. It was hard on me mentally, emotionally, and also hard on my family since I was completely obsessed with getting the right foods and the right exercise every day.

I only started this in May, on a whim, that this HAS TO be better for my body. I've only weighed twice, once with an initial 5 lb gain, and once with an 0.8 lb loss and don't plan to weigh again until I finish Phase I of NROLFW in 3 weeks.

I agree with the above posters that the emotional stability and freedom to actually eat and fuel my body is my NSV. I'm planning to stay the course, and hope I see the muscle gain and fat loss others have as well. I'd love to be feeling confident for our "honeymoon" (ten years and 3 kids later due to military deployments) this November so am hoping to see real changes in measurements in the near future. My goal now is to clean up my diet more...I eat fairly clean, but there is definitely room for improvement and with the garden starting to produce it's time to find some new clean meals!
  • gjriddle
    gjriddle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    What a great idea!

I was also a WW member for years, and after deciding to drop out (mostly to save money) I found MFP. When I first started on the site I had programmed it to maximize weight loss at a goal of losing 2 lbs/week which meant I was supposed to eat 1200 calories per day and burn 400 per day with exercise.

At the beginning of June I finally found EM2WL. Thank goodness! My BMR is around 1475 -- but I'd been netting roughly 700 calories or less per day.. so pretty much my body was starving. And it looked and felt like it! Frequent headaches, weight GAIN, an overall feeling of yuck. I was exhausted and ready for bed usually by like 9:30 pm (I'm 25. C'mon.) and that 7:30 alarm was killer... When 10 hours of sleep isn't enough, something is definitely wrong.

After starting to follow the EM2WL philosophy my entire life and outlook has changed! I know that sounds corny but it's so true! The undeniable, tangible improvements for me are

- Tons more energy (like, I'm getting up at 6 am ready to GO, without an alarm clock!)
    - No more headaches (I've been a migraine sufferer for years, averaging 1 per month.. it's been a month!)
    - An increased excitement about food
    - Lowered anxiety levels
    - My weight has not changed, but I've lost 2 inches off my waist and 1 off my hips!!
    - When I look in the mirror I no longer say "you're so fat, you can't have any more food today" -- instead I say, "I look great! I think I'll have a chocolate, peanut butter & banana protein shake!"

The greatest thing for me is an overall improved mood. I was diagnosed moderately bipolar when i was 19 and have since been on a variety of prescriptions in an attempt to manage it, but ultimately I go medication-free since we never found anything that really worked. I very rarely rapid cycle, but instead go through long (1-2 week) periods of highs and lows. Over the past month I've been leaning on the side of manic, but without the bad stuff. I feel good, I feel alive, I feel excited about my day when I wake up -- but I don't have the familiar impulses to stay out all night drinking or spend a lot of money. I honestly think I'm actually just happy, instead of manic. I think this is what a happy, healthy body and mind feel like.

I love the way I feel and I'm loving the way my body is changing. Who knew giving your body the proper fuel could have SO many positive impacts?! :happy:
  • rr85114
    Options
    Wow, you ladies are just so inspiring! Keep those successes coming!

I totally get the sleeping better thing - and the weird bounding energy when it's time to get up when I was previously the snooze button's best friend...

Today was the first day I went below my pre-increased-calories weight. I started at 78.3 and then gained, and today I weighed in at 77.8. Half a kilo down! The beauty of all this is that the scale victory is somewhat insignificant to me in light of all the amazing things I'm experiencing!

One thing I can't get over - the STRESS previously associated with eating is gone! If I want something, I have it! And that's okay! I am so ready to live this way for the rest of my life!!!
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I ate TDEE - 15% (my cut) for about 3 weeks before I realized I really needed to do a full metabolism reset. Big, big shaky breath, dive right in the deep end, I started eating TDEE 4 weeks ago. Wow, I wish I had done this sooner. I had all the energy and mood increases you all described, plus this amazing sense of freedom. Coming in from a stint on South Beach Diet 6 years ago, Weight Watchers 4 years ago, and second round of WW after my daugther was born 2 years ago. I finally realize why these programs worked once, and only once. Too much "skinny fat" build up and now I'm paying the price. I'm still in awe over how my body works. You would think the whole natural child birth routine and breastfeeding would have clued me in to listen to my body and go with the flow. Quit fighting and it all goes so much smoother. 4 weeks of eating an unbelievable 2200 calories and my weight is very stable. I work out half the time I was before, with just as much intensity. Only with a focus on strength instead of cardio. I can see some muscle definition in my arms and abs, my tummy is a bit smaller, and my pants are a bit less snug. Is it possible that when I start my cut in 4 more weeks, I'll finally get down to my goal weight? Prior to starting EM2WL, I'd gained and lost the same three pounds about 10 times since January. I'm not really worried about starting my cut any time soon . . . I'm really enjoying listening to my body and going with the flow.
  • TonyaBtrfly
    TonyaBtrfly Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    July 1st will be 4 weeks on MFP. 3 Weeks eating the EM2WL way Thank GOD! I have lost 5 lbs and 8 inches. I can wrap my bath towel all the way around me now!! Huge NSV for me. My jeans are not cutting off my circulation & im not dying to get home to take them off and put on my beloved sweats. I dont feel as fat I feel so much better about myself already. I am sleeping like a baby and i hate my rest days! I love EM2WL and anyone who takes the time to read all the stickies can not possibly argue with the logic!

:drinker:
  • ermickel
    ermickel Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am about 5 weeks into EMTWL and am loving it! I didn't do a full reset because I haven't really done a long term VLCD for long periods. SO I started at TDEE - 15%. I didn't weigh for a month but when I did I was down 2.5 pounds!! SInce I started MFP 2.5 months ago I have only lost 7 pounds but I have lost 13 inches overall! I have WAY more energy, I love working out and actually am bummed when it's an off day. I don't worry about food anymore. I have been on two vacations since I started and my "diet" hasn't even come into play at all. I just do what I do, keep logging and actually worked out 3 times on both trips!! This is for sure a way of life I can live with FOREVER :smile:
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Amazing idea! Now when we have off days we can read these as a reminder of the benefits of what we are doing.

I did WW off and on for years after having my children. I always hit a plateau and couldn't get past it. I came onto MFP after a friend recommended the typical 1200 cal diet on here. It wasn't getting me anywhere. Wasn't losing weight at all and felt extremly tired, cranky, and just not happy with myself at all. Stumbled upon the boards, skeptical at first, and here I am. I started eating at cut and still wasn't losing, so I am in week 4 of reset right now. After my vacation to MI next week, I am starting to eat at 10% cut to test the waters and then will do the 15% cut after.

My benefits:

more energy
    no longer constipated after years of bowel issues
    no guilt over eating
    no binge eating habits anymore
    happier
    starting to lose inches, so far 1/2 inch from my upper abs-smallest point and 2 full inches from around my chest/bra size 38 to 36
    husband is starting to notice that I leaning out from the face to the upper mid section
    I'm more conscious of what I put into my body.
    hormones back in check
    no longer breaking out on my back and chest or face
    skin looks healthier
    no longer bruising easily like I did before.

I am sure there are more, but these are what I can think of right now.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I ate TDEE - 15% (my cut) for about 3 weeks before I realized I really needed to do a full metabolism reset. Big, big shaky breath, dive right in the deep end, I started eating TDEE 4 weeks ago. Wow, I wish I had done this sooner. I had all the energy and mood increases you all described, plus this amazing sense of freedom. Coming in from a stint on South Beach Diet 6 years ago, Weight Watchers 4 years ago, and second round of WW after my daugther was born 2 years ago. I finally realize why these programs worked once, and only once. Too much "skinny fat" build up and now I'm paying the price. I'm still in awe over how my body works. You would think the whole natural child birth routine and breastfeeding would have clued me in to listen to my body and go with the flow. Quit fighting and it all goes so much smoother. 4 weeks of eating an unbelievable 2200 calories and my weight is very stable. I work out half the time I was before, with just as much intensity. Only with a focus on strength instead of cardio. I can see some muscle definition in my arms and abs, my tummy is a bit smaller, and my pants are a bit less snug. Is it possible that when I start my cut in 4 more weeks, I'll finally get down to my goal weight? Prior to starting EM2WL, I'd gained and lost the same three pounds about 10 times since January. I'm not really worried about starting my cut any time soon . . . I'm really enjoying listening to my body and going with the flow.

Love this! I am getting way too excited to start eating cut! I am finally ready for the next chapter to begin! WE ARE GOING TO DO THIS FINALLY! You and I are totally in the same boat too. Had my 2 yr old 1/12/10, and still waiting to get rid of her baby weight after initially doing WW again and losing a bit and stalling.
  • shae68143
    shae68143 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You all are rockstars, thank you for this thread and for your responses. I look up to girls like you! (and guys too)

I was on a VLCD for a few weeks but didn't realize it, so I upped my calories to my full 20% cut, and of course gained. Something I was not mentally prepared for (I didn't do all my homework and read like I should have). Granted it's only thus far been 2-2.5lbs so far (2 weeks in), it was very discouraging to see that # on the scale. Now don't crucify me, I don't always go by that, as I have taken measurements and will again in 2 weeks (I do them with a co-worker every 4 weeks), but the # on the scale does have some bearing for me, I'm a visual person.

For most of my life (I will spare you all the details) I have had a very bad relationship with food, involving a vicious cycle throughout my childhood of not eating for days on end, then bingeing on everything I could get my hands on. It was not til adulthood I started eating 3-4 meals a day, just obviously the wrong kinds of meals (or I wouldn't be 250 lbs right?).

I made the switch (almost cold turkey) to vegetarian last year, and on occasion I could say I'm pescatarian; but meat doesn't sit well with me (for many reasons one of which is IBS). And since then (even before but moreso now with EM2WL) I felt an increase in energy, stamina, overall health and well being, and I just felt good. I was just telling a friend I haven't been able to say in a realllllllllllllllllllllllllly long time that I feel good, and now I can.

I am no where in the vacinity of where I need to be just yet, but I'm working on it. Everyday I make the concious decision to get up and go to the gym, eat a healthy breakfast to fuel my mornings, have my healthy snacks and lunch, and a deicious even sometimes naughty dinner - but all healthier decisions.

If any of you would like to be friends here to support one another then by all means send me a request, i will do my best to be as supportive as I can :)

Shae
  • justjen0117
    Options
    Completely agree!

- I am no longer obsessed with finding the best caloric "deal" like I used to on Weight Watchers. I've done that program tons before and I think it fed into my ocd behavior in terms of counting calories or "points".

- I am no longer obsessed with food in general.

- I also don't go to bed hungry and I'm oh so much nicer to my family.

- My workouts are stellar since I'm actually fueling my body.

- still working on my sleep but I think it's getting better

I have both a Bodymedia Fit and Fit Bit. I prefer my Fit Bit although they both tracked accurate calories counts for a week (I have an indention in my left arm I'm trying to get rid of from my BMF).

At any rate, I currently eat 1500+ depending on what my TDEE is for the day. it's anywhere from 1790 - 1900+. If I'm hungry, I'll eat. If not, no worries.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this group!!!!
  • rr85114
    Options
    I'm loving hearing about all of your successes!!!
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I love reading these things. It really helps keep me going. I'm on day 11. My first thought is that I'm having trouble getting all my calories in, but this makes me think of all the times I beat myself up over eating "too much." Obviously I wasn't but I thought I was. So thats a little mini-revelation but I have no trouble eating more, just making sure I get what I need. I've also started slowly getting into lifting (not too heavy yet) and I'm realizing that the 10 lbs I kept losing and regaining on previous plans was most likely water and muscle. I have very little strength in my muscles overall and I think its from the amount of cardio that I was doing.

I guess it boils down to: I'm allowed to eat without guilt, I can be stronger if I want to, and I've learned a few things. Not so bad all things considered.