Hikers! - 2000 Calorie challenge!

Options
fiveohmike
fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
Ok so I am going a big hike this weekend. Hoping to eclipse 2000 calories burned! I dare you to do the same!

I am hiking North Dome in Yosemite Valley. Not as hardcore as Yosemite falls or Half-Dome, but still a 9 mile round trip, and 800ft elevation change (this starts at 8k feet anyways), with a chance of:

A) Plummeting to my death (or learning how to fly very quickly)

B) Getting eaten by a bear (or becoming the Bear Whisperer)

or

C) Having a great time

I am taking all my camera gear too, so will post some pro pics.

Here are OTHER peoples pics from North Dome (this is one of the best spots to see everything in Yosemite)

Indian Arch:

yose46784.jpeg

View of Half Dome form North Dome:

nd07-half-dome.jpg

North Dome cliff 2700 foot sheer cliff:

0.jpg

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Already rose and conquered that challenge! lol...(see other hike post!)
    Mid summer I will be doing several overnight hikes over the course of a two week camping trip so I'm sure I'll put in some more time then, but for now I have other things to take care of. :smile:

Have fun!!
  • Sid422
    Sid422 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Have a great time and be safe! I LOVE Yosemite! Look forward to your photos. We'll be hiking at Montana de Oro this weekend, which is along the coast and minimal elevation change but a beautiful hike. We might have to add some extra hiking to meet your challenge. :-)
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    Have a great time and be safe! I LOVE Yosemite! Look forward to your photos. We'll be hiking at Montana de Oro this weekend, which is along the coast and minimal elevation change but a beautiful hike. We might have to add some extra hiking to meet your challenge. :-)

Just stop every 200 yds and do 10 push ups :p
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Oh you are lucky. I would love to hike there. Looks stunning.
    I love the mountains so much. Don't need the beach I need mountains :)
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Looks like fun, hope its not too warm over there in cali
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    Looks like fun, hope its not too warm over there in cali

It will be about 85 or so at the Valley floor in Yosemite, so probably 75 ish at 8k feet.
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    I will be hiking on Sunday - haven't decided where we are going yet. But I don't have any of that fancy electronical stuff to track my real burn :tongue: but my leg/butt/shoulder muscles have just recovered from Sunday's hike, so I at least know I am using my muscles in different ways! I'll post an estimate though!

Happy Hiking and Be Safe!
  • beckyjo1987
    beckyjo1987 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This past Saturday I hiked the Signal Knob loop (approx. 12 miles) in Front Royal, VA with my man. MFP estimates about 1900 calories burned! It was a lovely way to spend 5.5 hours, but it was absolutely impossible to eat back those calories, even with a big BBQ later that day (during which I ate chicken, a few different kinds of pasta salads, chips, and cupcakes... several cupcakes). :ohwell:
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    This past Saturday I hiked the Signal Knob loop (approx. 12 miles) in Front Royal, VA with my man. MFP estimates about 1900 calories burned! It was a lovely way to spend 5.5 hours, but it was absolutely impossible to eat back those calories, even with a big BBQ later that day (during which I ate chicken, a few different kinds of pasta salads, chips, and cupcakes... several cupcakes). :ohwell:

I hear you on that!!!! I burned over 2200 cals on my hike last saturday and couldn't even get back up to BMR! I tried so hard! ( I had also done some upper body lifting at the gym that same morning so that added in more cals burned) But in the end, I still ate over 3000 cals that day...lol. :smile: So I figure I didn't do too much damage for the day, BUT, I did pay for it the next few days with a 2 lb weight gain.. ugh. :grumble: that weight is gone now thank goodness!!! :drinker:
  • LioshaM
    LioshaM Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    WOW, Beautiful!! You Go!!! And conquer that mountain!