Ladies Running and Being Safe.

Options
jmcdaniel0
jmcdaniel0 Posts: 130 Member
After our brief discussion in the last thread, I thought it would be prudent to actually have an advise thread on how to stay safe while running by yourself.

First, I want to dispel the myth that, "I live in a good area, and it won't happen to me." WRONG. Also, "That stuff only happens in big cities" Also WRONG.

There are a few good tips and tricks you can do to make sure you are as safe as possible while doing your daily work outs/runs.

Let someone know where you're running.
Before you head out for your run, make sure you let someone else know where you're running. Also tell them approximately how long you'll be running for.

Carry identification.
Put your driver's license and your medical insurance card (in case you get injured) in your pocket or wear an ID tag on your shoe. If you're wearing an ID tag or bracelet, make sure it has an emergency contact number on it. Whenever possible, try to run with your cell phone, and save your ICE (In Case of Emergency) numbers.

Be visible.
It's easy to miss a single runner on the road, so make sure you're visible. If you're running in the early morning or at night, even at dusk, wear white, yellow, or orange clothes. Also, make sure you have reflective gear on. Although some items (running shoes, jackets) already have reflective pieces on them, it doesn't hurt to add more.

Use common sense.
Before you even head out for a run, take a minute or two to do a safety check. Are your shoes tied? Are you familiar with your route? Once you start running, continue with the safety checks. Make sure you're running off the street or against traffic (so you can see cars coming at you). Watch out for cracks or bumps in the sidewalk, or rocks and branches on your running path.

Don't run alone at night.
No matter how comfortable you feel running at night, there's always more safety in numbers. If you usually run solo, try to find a running group so you'll have running partners.

Limit your distractions.
I know it's tough -- maybe impossible -- for some of you to run without music, but you really shouldn't use your iPod or MP3 player for outdoor runs. Cutting off your sense of hearing means you can't hear oncoming cars, cyclists yelling to move, unleashed dogs, or any other potential threat. Save your iPod for your treadmill runs. And make sure you pay attention to your surroundings. If you let your mind wander too much, you may find yourself wandering into an unsafe area.

Don't make assumptions about drivers.
Remember that many drivers aren't paying attention because they're listening to the radio, talking on their cell phone, or reading a map. Don't assume that drivers can see you or that they'll let you go because you have the right of way. Be sure you make eye contact with drivers at street crossings before you cross. And, better yet, try to stay off the roads as much as possible and stick to running in parks or on paths and sidewalks.

Watch out for cyclists and other runners.
Even if you're running on a path or in a park with no cars, always be aware of other runners and cyclists. If you're approaching another runner or cyclist and need to pass them, communicate with him and let them know on which side you're trying to pass. Before you stop or turn around, make sure your path is clear.

Trust your instincts.
If a location or person makes you feel comfortable, trust your gut and run in the other direction.
What You Need

Brightly-colored running clothes
Driver's license or other form of ID
Reflective gear

Also,

If you have followed the above and still do not feel safe. There are some extra measures that you can take.

OC Mace / Pepper Spray - Don't Skimp on this stuff, you do get what you pay for. It needs to be foam based not aerosol. This higher the capsicum percentage the better. I recommend this:
http://www.policesupplyonline.com/de5010pemk2o.html

Stun Gun - A tad more extreme, but very effective. I have and use these from time to time. Touch the business end to the aggressor and light them up. I use this model:
http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/product/taser+c2+gold+package.do?sortby=bestSellers&from=fn

Collapsing Baton / ASP - This not really for the novice user, but when used effectively can be a better tool for self defense than any of the tools above it. I highly recommend taking specialized training courses on the proper use of these before hand.
Go here for more information.
http://www.defensedevices.com/aspbaton16inch.html

Last but not least.

A personal Firearm - I have had my carry permit for awhile... There are many many types of pistols that are just the right size for a lady to carry, they way less than a pound, when loaded, and what else can you ask for in a personal protect/creep deterrent? I highly Recommend these two brands a S&W M&P 9c and the Bersa Thunder 380... personally I prefer the Bersa over the S&W because its slide it easier to operate for women. Please use common sense when carrying a firearm... ALWAYS take a safety class, ALSO, A PERMIT OF SOME SORT IS REQUIRED IN ALL FIFTY STATES, and concealed carry is 100 % ILLEGAL in some states. PLEASE, check with your local authorities before buying a firearm.

Well, that is all I have.

Please feel free to chime in and add your tips and tricks, equipment you use, and any other advise you might have. A safer community is better for us all!

Replies

• iadtj4m
    iadtj4m Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! :smile:
  • kryscallarman
    kryscallarman Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Good Advice!
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!
  • braign
    braign Posts: 89
    Options
    This kind of feels more like it should be directed towards rapists and/or drivers.

Like guys, if you feel like going out and attacking a jogger, let someone know where you're going so they can call the cops.

Drivers, try to keep both eyes on the road in case of pedestrians, joggers, animals, and other vehicles. If you feel like looking at your radio/children/map/book is more important, pull over.

Guys, don't go out alone at night if it feels like you might give in to temptation and attack a jogger.

Guys, if you still feel the overwhelming urge to attack a jogger, invest in some pepper spray and/or a stun gun and go to town on yourself.

In fact it may just be easier for us to carry guns lol.
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Ok since I do not have a personal firearm (yet hahaha) and I don't have mace or pepper spray. Someone recommended wasp or hornet spray. What do you think about that in a pinch? I am not usally the scardey type but I had an event that happened the other night where someone appeared out of nowhere and it really did startle me. I started realizing I probably should be a litte more prepared.