quitting...UGH

Options
brokenwoman
brokenwoman Posts: 25 Member
I really don't want to quit, but with my health problems I really need to. I plan on my quit date to be July 5th. I am not looking forward to it. I have a whole household of smokers, which will make it so much harder for me to quit. I am not going to ask them to go else where to smoke, it is not my house. I would not want others asking me to do something in my own house like that, so I am not going to ask them something that would make me irritated myself if someone asked me to do the same.

I have been doing good though and been preparing myself. I went from 3 packs a day to 1 pack every 3 days and then 1 pack every 4 days. The last time I quit smoking, my food cravings increased 100% and I am not looking forward to that since one of the reasons I smoke is to curb my cravings.

Any suggestions on getting ready and having a different outlook on this?

Replies

• babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Call a quit line and get support. They are trained to help you. In Canada they are posted on the packs. My dr's office also offers a clinic. So do public health units. Go to the lung association and get info. I just got a script for wellbutrin to see if that works. I tried a few weeks ago. Did great the first two days but couldn't make it through the third. But then I didn't try any of the support that I mentioned. I had patches but they didn't help the thinking I should go buy smokes. As for the food, replace it with more water, and celery and carrot sticks. I find campino candies help me the most. But they are high in sugar. But I figure it's for a short time. Good luck.
  • mommajdawg
    mommajdawg Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Read Alan Carr's Easyway to quit smoking ! VERY GOOD READ
  • amberinmt
    amberinmt Posts: 8
    Options
    Wellbutrin and the patch helped me to quit last year. I stumbled and smoked while drinking and became a smoker again about 6 months after I had quit, but when I was able to, the wellbutrin/patch combo worked wonders for me. The wellbutrin ( it's called zyban when used for non smoking) is amazing at killing cravings. Will be a quitter again real soon myself as I just started a medication and a new job where smoking is NOT allowed. Good luck! You can do it! If the smoking in the house does bother you (watching someone smoke is such a trigger) remind yourself that what you are doing is for you and your health and that you are worth it! Hard to put into practice I know!
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I used the patch and CALL A QUITLINE!!!! This was also instrumental in my success. I did it all as a one huge lifestyle change. I quit smoking and then had lots of energy due to increased oxygen, so I started exercising, which in turn triggered lots of endorphins, and now I've been smoke free for 10 months and lost 60 pounds! It was a lot easier with exercise the second time, then the first time I tried to quit.

go to webcoach.net I was on this website daily for the first 3 months. And call them now! You sound like you are on the right track cutting back, but they can give you tips to help even more. Good Luck!!
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It's one of the hardest things I've had to do. I didn't want to quit either. I didn't mind so much when the weather was cold but when it was nice out it was harder to quit.

I went 3 months without smoking. I slipped a few weeks ago. I started having 1 cigarette every day after dinner. Shouldn't have started. I noticed the difference in how my body felt though. Headaches, tired, sinuses hurt again. This from just one cigarette a day. I stopped having that cigarette again, stopped this weekend. It's so not worth it.

I stopped smoking by doing acupunture. I did 6 treatments and stopped smoking.

My trigger to start again was, like you, others smoking around me. My mother-in-law to be smokes at home, my son smokes, not in the house but around me. You just have to think in your mind how much healthier you'll be. Believe me, there is a big difference once you stop.

Good luck.
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I like quitnet.com for quitting. Now, keep in mind there is a site full of recovering addicts in various stages of recovery and withdrawal- so it gets testy, but I needed that when I quit. Honestly taking my temper out on a bunch of internet strangers was very productive and kept me from lashing out at home.

Take what you need!

And Allen Carr's book is a great place to start too!
  • Shelle921
    Shelle921 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi! New here, first post...I don't want to quit either but I have to. Has anyone had any luck with e-cigs? I'm actually on Wellbutrin for depression but it hasn't made me any less apt to smoke. :(