Working with my Fit Bit

Options
kay_bear52
kay_bear52 Posts: 71 Member
So I have had my Fit bit for 3 weeks now.
My average it tells me calories burned is around 1700-1800
Scooby tells me :)

I'm 162 5"2 40 years old
I work at a desk most of the time but I am trying as hard as I can to get 5000-7000 steps in a day via the FitBit

BMR 1457
TDEE 2003
TDEE -15% 1702

So do I need to adjust anything?

Replies

• seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Bump for answers on this too!
  • Saelina
    Saelina Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    So you have been eating 1700 correct? Are you losing?

If you've been on a plateau, then you might need to consider that your fitbit is accurate and your tdee is the average of 1750 and eat your cut from there. If your bmr is 1500 though, you can only cut about 150 cals a day to 1600 so you eat above your bmr
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    bumpity bump .:happy: Are you entering your excercises through MFP? If you are the the fitbit will adjust at the end of day. Each person has a diffeent stride, however , norm.... seems to be a burn of 400 calories for 10,000 steps. Go to community hit search type in Fitbit and it will bring up tons of Q&A for you.Good luck.
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    So you have been eating 1700 correct? Are you losing?

If you've been on a plateau, then you might need to consider that your fitbit is accurate and your tdee is the average of 1750 and eat your cut from there. If your bmr is 1500 though, you can only cut about 150 cals a day to 1600 so you eat above your bmr

Agree.
  • kay_bear52
    Options
    To be honest I try really hard to make sure I do not go below my BMR. The most I have been eating is about 1600. I haven't made it yet to my full 1702, I sit at a desk all day but I walk 20 mintues when I get home 5 days a week so that I can get those extra steps in. Or take an extra stroll around the yard, etc. So I thought that would still be considered "light activity".

I have lost 5 lbs since starting EM2WL but have kinda stalled for the last 3 weeks.
    I want to make sure that I am either eating enough or not eating enough still.

I'm doing better than I was when I started this several months ago but I am sure I am needing to tweak it a little bit here and there. It's still taking me a while to totally grasp this but I'm trying.

IF I change my scooby to reflect desk with little activity it brings my numbers WAY down....
    BMR 1457
    TDEE 1748
    TDEE -15% 1486
    So I am wondering if that is where I need to make my adjustment since I am only getting an average of 1800 burned calories via the fitbit.

I currently have my scooby settings at 1-3 days light activity
  • kay_bear52
    Options
    I'm also NOT entering my exercise thru MFP. I totally stopped doing that once I got the fitbit and solely rely on that for my walking tracking. If I do any type of workout I will add it thru MFP but currently I have not been doing anything extra other than the walking.

For instance if I am working in the yard I will add that to MFP ontop of what the fitbit logs for walking.
  • Saelina
    Saelina Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You're activity level sounds right..

After looking at your diary.. if you are barely eating your bmr (saw quite a few under), then adding in your exercise, you are netting well below. that can stall you out completely. you have to eat at 1600 a day to make room for your walks.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I think i've worked out how to use fitbit with EMTWL now after having it for several months.

What i do is ALWAYS use fitbit regardless of what any other calculator says (although i use these calculators to work out my BMR). But i use it to work out a weekly activity level overall which accounts for rest days etc.

So every week i check to see that my activity level is still about the same and if it has changed and i think will continue to be at a higher or lower level in future weeks i change what i eat.

So i simply take the last week's total energy expenditure divide by 7 to get a daily average then multiply by 0.85 to work out what my daily food consumption should be for a 15% cut.
    Last week my TDEE was a bit less than it had been for the last few weeks. And because i know i'm going to be probably burning about this same amount over the next few months as i try to recover from and prevent future shin splints i've decided to change my daily intake by 100 cals. If it were just a one week only thing i'd have just keep to the first amount i was eating.

Forget scooby if you have something more accurate like a fitbit to work out your TDEE. It is far more personalised to you.
    I think you probably were already doing the right thing.
  • trosewine
    trosewine Posts: 88
    Options
    I agree with previous poster. I had a FitBit for a while and found it to be quite accurate particularly if my only exercise was walkng or stairs. The online calcs are just estimates.
  • kay_bear52
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I so appreciate it.
    I really want to shove thru this wall I am stuck at. I see the 150's RIGHT there so I will re-evaluate my fitbit weekly totals and see what I can figure out to get this going again.
    You guys are awesome!
  • cinblog1965
    cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just ignore my TDEE all together and look at Fitbit for whether I am eating enough or too much. I click the weekly tab and it shows calories burn and calories taken in. I log food and exercise in MyFitnessPal but use the Fitbit weekly chart to see if I'm on track for the week.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Fitbit does not take into account your heart rate. So it's possible that if you get your heart rate up while you are walking that you are burning more than the fitbit shows. When I walk around my hilly neighborhood, I have to put that exercise in separately because I burn so much more than my fitbit says as I get my heart rate up and keep it up for 30+ minutes.