For the Non-Runners (or runner wanna-be's)

Options
Hi all you non-runners out there. I just wanted to give you some encouragement if running is something you'd like to do. I weigh 220 lbs right now. I run a mile without stopping three days a week. Believe it or not I haven't run "the mile" since I was in high school and I could never run it without stopping even then!

You're not too heavy to run. And running doesn't mean sprinting either. I run slower than I can speed walk. I learned from this girl who does a blog called "Runs for Cookies" that running is just when both feet are off the ground at the same time for any amount of time each stride. So even though I'm running slowly, it's better than walking because it gets my heart pumping! Some things I've learned so far:

1) The shoes make a HUGE difference, if you've tried running and your shins hurt then spend the money to go to New Balance and get fitted for a nice pair of shoes. (Not the new balance you can get at Kohls either). I got a pair of $135 New Balance shoes and my shin splints disappeared!!

2) Try interval running using C25K or my personal favorite Podrunner 1st day to 5K which helps you learn to run by doing intervals set to music, all you have to do is run to the beat and you'll gradually increase your endurance.

3) Take a day of rest if you're just starting out between every day of running. It gives your body a chance to rest and you'll do better on your next run if you do. I hold onto my new endurance for weeks, so one day off isn't going to make you lose any headway.

4) Running up even the slightest little incline is much more difficult, so if you're just starting out try to find a nice flat route.

Hope I've inspired you to give running (the free exercise) a try!

Replies

• arosas7
    arosas7 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you for the advice on the shoes. I get horrible shin splints, no matter how much I stretch. I just need to cave and buy me some good running shoes. Thanks again!
  • VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Great advice!! I think running is an acquired taste as well, and once you get past the low endurance/muscle soreness, it's absolutely fun and addicting!

So put on that new pair of shoes, blast your favourite music and hit the pavement!!
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate this. I haven't run since I was forced to in gym class many years ago LOL. It's something I've been considering but I keep thinking there is a magic weight you have to be down to in order to run. Good inspiration!
  • jmcdaniel0
    jmcdaniel0 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice on the shoes. I get horrible shin splints, no matter how much I stretch. I just need to cave and buy me some good running shoes. Thanks again!

Shoes are so important... I have found that the Fila brand Skele-Toes are superb for running. They are the so called Toe shoes, look weird, but feel great!
  • Tanig32
    Tanig32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this information i would like to start running myself and this information was very helpful.
  • TerraLea
    TerraLea Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My problem with running is my boobs. I have tried my good support sports bra with a regular bra and they still bounce so much that they hurt and my chest hurts. I gave up and just walk. I did use the C25K.
  • jmcdaniel0
    jmcdaniel0 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My problem with running is my boobs. I have tried my good support sports bra with a regular bra and they still bounce so much that they hurt and my chest hurts. I gave up and just walk. I did use the C25K.

I think can help here. A trick the women do in the Army.

Get a sports bra that has a wide back, and a tight as possible. Put it on, take some standard grey duct tape, and wrap it left to right, all the way around your chest area. Make sure to go directly across the middle of your breasts... Make that same circuit a couple of time. on the last go around, wrap directly on the bottom edge.

This will not only provide more support, but it will firmly hold them in place while you run at any pace.
  • TerraLea
    Options

I think can help here. A trick the women do in the Army.

Get a sports bra that has a wide back, and a tight as possible. Put it on, take some standard grey duct tape, and wrap it left to right, all the way around your chest area. Make sure to go directly across the middle of your breasts... Make that same circuit a couple of time. on the last go around, wrap directly on the bottom edge.

This will not only provide more support, but it will firmly hold them in place while you run at any pace.

Really!?!?! I have heard this before but honestly thought it was a joke. I just might try it. Thanks!!!!
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'm such a runner wanna be. I started c25k and I highly highly recommend it. I'm on week 7 day 2. It's addictive and it works. I tried running three years ago and did finish a 5 k but it hurt every time I ran. I lost interest and said I'm just too fat.
    With the c25k it doesn't hurt. The weight I lost so far came from my boobs so I can't relate to the above post. I still bounce though:blushing:
    Shoes must be fitted. I found that I fit better in most men's shoes. :grumble: not feminine I know but this is what works.

I am going to brag....I went to my endocrinologist and she said I was a model patient and that I'm in a NORMAL healthy BMI. The last time I saw her was in April. I was at rick bottom. I'm now NoORMAL. I've never been normal. I owe it all to changing my diet and c25k.
  • cloudbunny17
    cloudbunny17 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, if you don't want to duct tape your boobies (because I sure don't) wear more than one sports bra at the same time helps with the bouncing. I usually wear I really tight one on the bottom and then on top of that, a slightly looser, but not that loose, on top.
  • abbeyl11
    abbeyl11 Posts: 73
    Options
    I'm such a runner wanna be. I started c25k and I highly highly recommend it. I'm on week 7 day 2. It's addictive and it works. I tried running three years ago and did finish a 5 k but it hurt every time I ran. I lost interest and said I'm just too fat.
    With the c25k it doesn't hurt. The weight I lost so far came from my boobs so I can't relate to the above post. I still bounce though:blushing:
    Shoes must be fitted. I found that I fit better in most men's shoes. :grumble: not feminine I know but this is what works.

I am going to brag....I went to my endocrinologist and she said I was a model patient and that I'm in a NORMAL healthy BMI. The last time I saw her was in April. I was at rick bottom. I'm now NoORMAL. I've never been normal. I owe it all to changing my diet and c25k.

That is so awesome!! Congrats!!! I'm really not disciplined enough to do the actual C25K so I'm doing it the "lazy" way with my app called Podrunner which sets the C25K idea to music... I love it!
  • TerraLea
    Options

AWESOME!!!!
    I'm flat footed and shoes with great arch support are all I can wear for walking. Shoes makes a HUGE difference for me.
    Keep up the great work!!!
  • TerraLea
    Options
    I have the same problem, if you don't want to duct tape your boobies (because I sure don't) wear more than one sports bra at the same time helps with the bouncing. I usually wear I really tight one on the bottom and then on top of that, a slightly looser, but not that loose, on top.

2 bras do NOT work for me, I have tried several times. Mine still bounce to much and hurt. She said to put on a wide back sports bra then duct tape over the bra and I just might try that.
  • CWatermelon
    CWatermelon Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    These are all great suggestions! I have been increasing my walking each day and walking faster. I have run home when I get close. I am hoping to be able to run by the end of the summer :) Duct tape does work, but just use old bras and a friend because it gets messy :) Have your scissor ready :) My coach always taped me before a run when I ran cross country in high school and I taped while in the Army. I want to try those skele shoes...I keep hearing about them :)