45 days on low carb..... down 17lbs.. BUT,

Options
PicNic00
PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
But I'm up a pound this week. I lost a lot at 1st, then it slowed a bit, and now i'm up a pound. I am in ketosis but the scale isn't moving. I was hoping to be further along then this..... Any advice?

Replies

• DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Be patient. As long as you are being 100% honest, the scale will move.
    I also only lost 1/2 lb this week.

Debbie
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yes --be patient. Even on Atkins you will only expect to lose 1-2 pounds a week in induction. I lost 8 pounds the first month, then three pounds a month since. This seems to be how my body works, the scale is going down, the inches are coming off and I feel great. BTW I had 36 pounds to lose and accept that it may take about a year to get to goal, and THEN I'll still be on the edge of overweight.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Patience is the key! My MO has always been to lose a bunch quickly then quit when the weight loss slowed down. I'm determined to make this a life long change, and I'm not even thinking about the scale right now, rather I'm concentrating on eating good carbs and proteins and on getting into a fitness routine that I'll be able to live with in an ongoing way! Actually, I've lost no weight in the past 3 months - I've been gaining and losing the same 3 pounds over and over. However, I'm lifting weights and I am very happy wtih the changes in my body. The jiggles are less, the muscles are more and I'm content with this process at the moment.

Haha, that could change in an hour, but...

:tongue:
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    You'll see fluctuations, don't get to worried about it. There will also be times where the scale doesn't move at all, but you'll find that your clothes start fitting better or even become too baggy.

I've had it happen too where I've been stuck at a weight for a month and then one morning I wake up and I'm 5lbs lighter...low carb works in weird ways sometimes. Just don't give up, don't cheat and have patience and you'll see results.
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    if it's been 45 days since you started and you have lost 17pounds so far. Why are you complaining? that is on average of 2.83 pounds a week? That is excellent. stalls will come they happen to everyone. You will probibly lose next week. I have been doing this for 8 weeks and I am only down 14 pounds with 2 weeks of stalls. So you are good.
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Oh did Charlie come to visit this week or is he coming soon? In other words that time of the month. If yes that can explain the gain I do on that week. It will go next plus more next week if that is the case.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    be sure you're drinking your water. eat more fiber if you're not pooping. (flax!)
    be sure to double check labels. eliminate fake sugar, nuts, and dairy as it makes some people stall.
  • vickianne17
    vickianne17 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just keep going! I have that happen sometimes too....gain a pound when I know I have stayed on the program. My weight loss was pretty dramatic in the beginning but now is about 1 pound a week...sometimes only 1/2 pound...but I am determined!!
  • Nancy_AZ60
    Nancy_AZ60 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    is it safe to be in ketosis ? Does it harm your liver?
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My scale hasnt moved in 2 weeks and Im getting real mad :/

I been in Ketosis etc same stuff as before. I noticed my body drops some weight then gets real mad at me and decides it doesnt want to drop any weight for a week or so. I just keep going on and continue forgetting what the scale says!

My question is why can you lose inches but not weight? I put on my pants same exact weight etc but they fit different? I dont get it ;( anyone got any suggestions why!?
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options

My question is why can you lose inches but not weight? I put on my pants same exact weight etc but they fit different? I dont get it ;( anyone got any suggestions why!?

One reason is lean muscle tissue. Muscle is MORE dense than fat (weight wise, not calorie wise). You can lose a lb or of fat and gain 2 lbs of muscle. The scale goes up but you pants size goes down.

This is not a cruel metabolic joke. Muscle uses more energy at rest than fat does, so as you add muscle your BMR goes up which will lead to greater fat loss over time.

If you have been strength training this is one possible answer.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options

Yes. No. Your liver is the source of the ketones. There is not fat metabolism without the production of ketones. Saying that ketones are dangerous would be like saying that CO2 is dangerous. <oops! there I go getting all political>

Ketones in you blood is normal. In your urine is normal if you are engaged in intense exercise (Marathon, Tri-Athlete , Migrant farm worker in the fields from sunup to sundown with barely a break for water). Not to be confused with Ketoacidosis which is a potentially fatal complication in diabetics.

http://www.myhealthpointe.com/Program/faq/ketosis.htm#harmful
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options

Yes. No. Your liver is the source of the ketones. There is not fat metabolism without the production of ketones. Saying that ketones are dangerous would be like saying that CO2 is dangerous. <oops! there I go getting all political>

Ketones in you blood is normal. In your urine is normal if you are engaged in intense exercise (Marathon, Tri-Athlete , Migrant farm worker in the fields from sunup to sundown with barely a break for water). Not to be confused with Ketoacidosis which is a potentially fatal complication in diabetics.

Thanks for this description. I've always wondered whar ketosis is and why people use strips to measure it.

http://www.myhealthpointe.com/Program/faq/ketosis.htm#harmful
  • nelsonwd
    nelsonwd Posts: 38
    Options
    Drink more water! Also eat nothing but protein at night--don't eat your meals too late. Watch how much sodium you are comsuming. The scale will eventually move. You are doing good. Don't beat yourself up over you weight loss slowing.

Dona